The Future is coming!!! FOG v2

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Skipper
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

The Future is coming!!! FOG v2

Post by Skipper »

Well, despite my misgivings, I think this is a pretty good move. I'm just not hoping its too early. My greatest fear is the limited platforms that are being touched. This is unfortunate as the tech industry is very divided and protective of their property right. Just yesterday I bought the Nook tablet and now today I find out it won't be one of the platforms supported out of the gate.... If I had know a day earlier, I might have changed my purchasing decision. Unfortunately it'll be a year before I can choose another option.

Anyway, back to topic, I think in the long run this is a very good move. I think many of the other game companies will eventually go this route. I just hope they settle on a couple of platforms early so the gaming industry can standardize early. (Who wants to be stuck with the equivalent of old BETA tapes when the industry went with VHS.....) I think the innovative and forward thinking is necessary for the long run, I just hope they survive long enough to see the success of this project.

It would be nice to bring a tablet to the game store and be able to play FOG, FOW, Malifaux, or any of the THW games at the drop of a hat without having to go dig up and tote 100 lbs of books. This of the advantage to an RPG gamemaster at having all their resources at their finger tips.

Yes, I definitely think this is a trend for the future, the only question is can those of us in the present (and many in the past) manage to get to that future fast enough?

Skipper
(Who has enough opinions that if they were fod could feed half the world, maybe more!!!)
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: The Future is coming!!! FOG v2

Post by hazelbark »

I have a NOOK. They are great. And sadly it is not well supported by Old Europe publishers.

Where do you play FOG ancients? You attending Historicon?

I can see the future and there are some cool applications especially for campaigns. But we have to get teh figures on the table.
Skipper

Post by Skipper »

We played FOG here in East Central Alabama at 6mm scale, unfortunately, not much lately. Infact, I haven't even painted in about 3 months,,,,,,and I'm going to miss our gaming day once more today :(

Don't have time for cons anymore, but someday I might again. I also agree that the Nook is a pretty cool little tablet.

Skipper
Selaurant
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Selaurant »

I think this is a great idea. Several of my clubs gamers have loaded PDFs of their favourite rules, notably FOW, onto iPads. It should also make it much easier to update rules and lists too. If the hobby is to survive it must attract new players, not just us veterans, and this will help.
Selaurant

Post by Selaurant »

I think this is a great idea. Several of my clubs gamers have loaded PDFs of their favourite rules, notably FOW, onto iPads. It should also make it much easier to update rules and lists too. If the hobby is to survive it must attract new players, not just us veterans, and this will help.
Gandamar

Post by Gandamar »

I'd agree with you if Slitherine had chosen the PDF path, but they haven't. Instead they decided to launch an app which runs on selected platforms (iPad, PC and Mac), restricting their target audience enormously. As it has already been said in other posts, this may be the future of wargaming, but that future is still a few years away. Forcing the change now will not be good for the game, IMHO.
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

Selaurant wrote:I think this is a great idea. Several of my clubs gamers have loaded PDFs of their favourite rules, notably FOW, onto iPads. It should also make it much easier to update rules and lists too. If the hobby is to survive it must attract new players, not just us veterans, and this will help.
You don't attract new players by alienating older veterans.

Let's just say for example EVERYONE over the age of 25 stops playing ancients. Do you think the hobby would survive? It MAY eventually, but it will take a HUGE hit in the mean time.

This is one veteran who will not be paying ANYTHING for v2 if it's in an unprintable format.
Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Strategos69 »

Selaurant wrote:I think this is a great idea. Several of my clubs gamers have loaded PDFs of their favourite rules, notably FOW, onto iPads. It should also make it much easier to update rules and lists too. If the hobby is to survive it must attract new players, not just us veterans, and this will help.
Ehem... I am not very sure about that, but I think that Battlefront has not released yet any ebook of their rulesets. If you get it for free, that might look cool although not quite legal and fun for the publishers, but if you have to pay for a few bits, I wonder if people would do.

If you want new people to come in you need the rules to be easy and an introduction set totally free. Right now you get to know FoG when you see the book on the shelf of a local store because you don't have the introduction game as DBA available. Tablets are quite nice for what you said, but you need to offer something extra and people already engaged.
david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 »

If you want my honest take on this from a UK point of view.

No way are the majority of people going to be willing to buy into V2 thats not produced Hard Copy style.

All thats going to happen is:

a. Loads of people leave the rule set
or
b. More likely a large majority will use V1 still

Maybe its the future but I think to use FOG as a trend setter will not IMO work.

regards

dave
Cynical

Post by Cynical »

I had intended buying the V2 rules when they came out but not in this limited electronic format.

Having used the same set of rules , “Shock of Impact”, for 25 years until the switch to FoG in 2009, completely skipping DBA,DBM etc. I have no problem sticking with the V1 FoG rules for the next 20 years, unless a physical book comes out.
Last edited by Cynical on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selaurant

Post by Selaurant »

Strategos

Just to clarify my comments, those I have seen with FOW on iPads have a printed copy of the book too.
I do agree a PDF would be better than an App. Still, I'd like to have FOG on a tablet, and FOG R too for that matter.

As for the substance of the changes, I hope FOG A2 becomes more like FOG R, which I find a cleaner game to play.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

My 3 cents:

I have only played the TT maybe 3-4 times, I dont own a single lead/plastic army, nor am I likly to obtain one any time in the near future.

Yet, I own FOG hardcover rule, the Ren Rules and 3 of the army List books, and likly to buy more Ren ones as I am fascinated by the era. Likly over $100 worth of products.
I clearly like BOOKS... You can read em on the can, on the couch etc.
Rules that are exclusive to digital format are imho simply a utility device, a tool.... I dont buy tools for casual reading/enjoyment.....
Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 »

Selaurant wrote: Just to clarify my comments, those I have seen with FOW on iPads have a printed copy of the book too.
I do agree a PDF would be better than an App. Still, I'd like to have FOG on a tablet, and FOG R too for that matter.
My apologies if I sounded offensive. I meant that there is a demand for hard copies of books, but I am not that certain that people would pay half the price of the real books for the same thing they already have. I think there is a demand for FoG on tablet, but not as strong as for books. At least that is what it seems in this forum and my personal opinion. I don't think I would pay $15 for a few changes in a book I already have for a product that, at most, will have the same features that another product already has and in a preferred way.
MatteoPasi
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by MatteoPasi »

Gandamar wrote:I'd agree with you if Slitherine had chosen the PDF path, but they haven't. Instead they decided to launch an app which runs on selected platforms (iPad, PC and Mac), restricting their target audience enormously.
BlackBarry 's users (like me) are supposed do not play wargames ....... :shock:
eldiablito
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by eldiablito »

Wow! If this was done as a PDF, I would have purchased this in a heartbeat. Now, requiring an iPad beforehand, I'm going to have to make some serious saving $. Maybe I'll buy the app after Chistmas, but ONLY if I can get the iPad. I always thought of the iPad as a nice to have and my discresionary funds would be my miniatures. Sigh. V2 does not look like it will enjoy a sucessful launch to me.
david53

Post by david53 »

eldiablito wrote:Wow! If this was done as a PDF, I would have purchased this in a heartbeat. Now, requiring an iPad beforehand, I'm going to have to make some serious saving $. Maybe I'll buy the app after Chistmas, but ONLY if I can get the iPad. I always thought of the iPad as a nice to have and my discresionary funds would be my miniatures. Sigh. V2 does not look like it will enjoy a sucessful launch to me.
In that case why purchase the hardware, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy one, and its nothing to do with not affording it.
guthroth
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by guthroth »

This announcement means that FOG2 is dead for me, I will never touch it. :(

Thanks Slitherine for making it such an easy decision.
Literature Stops in 1100.
After that it's all just books ...
J.R.R Tolkien
guthroth

Post by guthroth »

This announcement means that FOG2 is dead for me, I will never touch it. :(

Thanks Slitherine for making it such an easy decision.
Literature Stops in 1100.
After that it's all just books ...
J.R.R Tolkien
atatnet
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by atatnet »

The future is bleak.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

atatnet wrote:The future is bleak.
Well, look at my poll. Quite frankly, I'm amazed! I expected it to be something like 70:30, but it's more like 90:10 at this stage.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”