Are Elephants viable in V2?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Are Elephants viable in V2?

Post by Polkovnik »

Vespasian28 wrote: Crikey that is good going from the perspective of one of the "less skilled players" who has won twice in about a dozen outings with CI's.
This was under V1 presumably. I think Classical Indian are one of the biggest winners from the changes to V2, so I think you will find their performance greatly increased now. When we switch over to V2 it's the army I'm most looking forward to getting on the table. It was a relatively low performer under V1 (currently ranked 100 out of 126 armies in tournaments (considering armies used 50+ times)), and I would bet on this army being one of the biggest risers up the ranking table over the n.ext couple of years
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

I came second in a comp at the weekend (out of 8 which included an Indian elephant army and 5 HF armies plus Han) running Khmer with a Thai ally - 7 BGs of elephants and crap MF in support. Against the Han (who spread out his MF HW/Xbow in penny packets, I put 3 BGs of elephants into one isolated BG of 8 MF. It took a couple of moves fighting for the elephants to break the MF (the MF just have so many dice to roll) and one of the elephants blew up from a death roll. My own MF rear support and an IC saved the other two BGs of elephants from failing cohesion tests for seeing mates break.

While this action was decisive for the game result (a win for me) given the tactical position of other enemy BGs, I had to commit 4 BGs to initially get one (swapping losses 1 for 1) but that did lead to me getting three more enemy BGs.
Last edited by zoltan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hannibal
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by hannibal »

Played in my first v2 comp at the weekend - Burton Doubles. Competition was won convincingly by Classical Indian running 6 BGs of elephants, and elephant BGs proved to be a potent weapon all weekend. Definately NOT understrength now IMO. They face down enemy's best troops (cataphracts and heavy cavalry), and the extra dice at impact was often decisive. Additionally the rule changes to undrilled troops moving with a general are a big plus - they are less likely to be isolated and picked off by shooting. Felt like a strong troop type to me and good value.
Marc Lunn
Derby Wargames Society
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

hannibal wrote:Played in my first v2 comp at the weekend - Burton Doubles. Competition was won convincingly by Classical Indian running 6 BGs of elephants, and elephant BGs proved to be a potent weapon all weekend. Definately NOT understrength now IMO. They face down enemy's best troops (cataphracts and heavy cavalry), and the extra dice at impact was often decisive. Additionally the rule changes to undrilled troops moving with a general are a big plus - they are less likely to be isolated and picked off by shooting. Felt like a strong troop type to me and good value.
Which flavor of Indians? Anyone know? Mauyras or not?

I had success with them in a smaller tournament.

It will be a fun cycle of Elephant armies followed by anti-elephants armies. I predict Pike with rear support will be a partial solution. Also It won't be long before the shooty cav folks get their groove on too.
Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik »

hazelbark wrote:It will be a fun cycle of Elephant armies followed by anti-elephants armies. I predict Pike with rear support will be a partial solution.

MF bow would be good vs elephants. Even better with front rank Lt Spear.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Polkovnik wrote:MF bow would be good vs elephants.
Erm, Indian would be good v's Indian then?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

philqw78 wrote: Erm, Indian would be good v's Indian then?
You have to admit it would be fun watching both the winner and loser autobreak on impact in an elephant on elephant fight.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Its bound to happen. 5 hits v 6.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

hazelbark wrote:Which flavor of Indians? Anyone know? Mauyras or not?
Undrilled ones.
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

Had my own elephant-on-elephant combat at Burton. It was swift and decisive - 3 hits for me, 5 for my opponent at impact, 4 on the death roll :-(
Marc Lunn
Derby Wargames Society

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”