Any insights from 1st V2 tournament (Godendag)?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Any insights from 1st V2 tournament (Godendag)?

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:15 am

I think Godendag was the first V2 tournament.

Anyone who took part want to share any insights on the effects of the changes in practice?

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Any insights from 1st V2 tournament (Godendag)?

Post by philqw78 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am

Well then (rubs hands)

LH are still just as slippery as they can get out of pin easily by continiung forwards or to their rear and out of front of enemy. They have just lost 2MU sideways

Liked the skirmishers going off side edge bit, Andy didn't. (Is there supposed to be a CMT there for 1 or 2 AP, or is that if they are fragged, couldn't remember.)

Shooting by lights is a fair bit less effective since they are closer and therefore get charged off sooner.

Cavalry in 2 ranks shooting further than lights is good (for the cav). This will improve life for average shooty cav.

Drilled manouever reduction is very good. No more pikes expand by 2 move 3 MU then then contract next time therefore moving diagonally faster than forwards. And means drilled can be caught if they turn (tail?).

Terrain and initiative needs more thought from players, which is better.

Elephants are mental. I was much looking forwards to some nelly on nelly action 6 v 6 dice average. Assured destruction, possibly mutual. But we never saw any.
Elephants are, IMO, to fragile against other mounted still.

max of 16 BG counting for attrition didn't make a difference to our games, but perhaps it did to others' army design.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 am

philqw78 wrote:Liked the skirmishers going off side edge bit, Andy didn't. (Is there supposed to be a CMT there for 1 or 2 AP, or is that if they are fragged, couldn't remember.)
No, it is just 1 AP for skirmishers and 2 APs for battle troops.

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Phil

Thanks - very useful.

lionheartrjc
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lionheartrjc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Lance Flint and myself came 2nd with a Feoderate Roman army. Credit to Lance for the army choice as I couldn't see how the army was going to work at all.

Small units (4s) are definitely more vulnerable at impact/melee due to the cohesion test changes. Light horse (we had 7 BGs of them - Alan and Hun allies) are still very slippery despite the shorter range. Skirmishing cavalry (you know what I mean) are at risk of getting caught (I had one unit caught by PIke!), but still seemed to do well against cataphracts and elephants.

The -2MU on 90degree turn definitely seemed to result in fewer turns, more straight ahead.

We used the trick of giving away initiative and it worked well. Wish we had remembered to do it in the first game (which we lost).

On the whole all of the changes seemed to work. I still feel that armour, drill and superior are still good things to have (i.e. effective for the points), but overall the balance seems better and we may see some other armies.

Next v2 competition for me is Plymouth (25mm) where I am taking a Mayan army!

Richard Jeffrey-Cook

IanB3406
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by IanB3406 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:04 am

So are we looking at all mounted armies in the top 3? Does an one else feel that the turn 90 and move restriction limit heavy foot more than any other troop type----it's just a feeling so far but has been rather disappointing. Still looking at mounted armies as much better on table. I find myself just wheeling and moving when I redeploy away from enemy such that this effect really is only noticeable from mounted when close in.....still not sore I got a chance to run my guys across a table in time.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 am

No, I think foot find it harder to win and complete games because they find it much harder to

1. Concentrate force, they are cheaper (big blocks), less manoueverable and slower

2. Take advantage where they win. Same reasons as above.

I do think we will see more combined armies once people have settled down from 3 dice elephants and figured the subtleties
Last edited by philqw78 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:01 am

IanB3406 wrote:So are we looking at all mounted armies in the top 3?
Seleukid were second and thrid after game three, but then drew v each other in the last game. So infantry were in with a chance, a better one if they didn't play each other.
phil

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 am

IanB3406 wrote:Does an one else feel that the turn 90 and move restriction limit heavy foot more than any other troop type----it's just a feeling so far but has been rather disappointing. Still looking at mounted armies as much better on table. I find myself just wheeling and moving when I redeploy away from enemy such that this effect really is only noticeable from mounted when close in.....still not sore I got a chance to run my guys across a table in time.
I don't think the restriction is any worse for heavy foot in reality. Armies with heavy foot in any quantity tend to win games on deployment, and now they move foll speed in uneven that's helped. I've won competitions with heavy foot armies is v1, and I think they've improved. They are bad at explointing small break throughs as they are slow so a plan that needs that is risky.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”