Double moving issues.

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Double moving issues.

Post by Robert241167 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi everyone

This weekend I had a game with Dailami Dynasties taking on Albanians which showed a potential flaw with V2.

My opponent (Paul Johnston) won initiative but conceded it to me as he was more bothered about ensuring his skirmishers took up as much ground going forward as possible.

With my dailami starting 12 MU in and his skirmishers starting 15 MU in it left a gap of 21 MU.

Paul could advance his skirmishers the full 14 MU to leave them 7 MU away from my Dailami.

This meant my Dailami couldn’t even double move on their first move so even though they start 12 MU in they are physically worse off than in V1 where they would expect to lose initiative and double move first.

I think this is a possible serious flaw in V2 as I am now looking at armies with Steppes and high initiative to give me maximum flexibility.

Having a line of my own light foot at 15 MU's would have made no difference due to skirmishers being able to move to just outside 4 MU's of other skirmishers.

Rob

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Double moving issues.

Post by philqw78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:55 pm

But you got to choose terrain. Should have chose stuff Dailami was good in. Or should have taken some LH/cav and an IC.

Or do you want low PBI armies to choose terrain and move first?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Robert241167

Post by Robert241167 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Phil

I accept your point Phil but Paul had 19 BG's and nearly half of them were light foot. Anything I wanted to put down Paul was happy to shove his light foot in in droves.

The key was that he could slow my army to a crawl thus stopping me from having a chance of pushing anything off his table edge. This is also compounded by the time it takes an opponent to move 19 BG's in his turn.

No offence Paul when you read this !! :P

Oh b*gger it, I'm offending anyway !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rob

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm

So the Albanians have a high old time of it for 8 moves while your armoured MF move forward in a big long line. Then on the 9th, you flee them all off table and take the camp. and it only takes 16 attrition points to take out their army. Not sure how the Albanians are going to win?

Robert241167

Post by Robert241167 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks Graham, I did but it didn't work.

At some point the shooting will get lucky and your facing a fragmented BG being charged by light horse.

I'd taken 13 Bg's, 6 Dailami, 4 light horse, 2 lancer cavalry and a light foot.

Maybe more dailami next time as the lancer cavalry went haring off.

Paul also had a BG of superior knights which made me contract in places to try and fend them off.

I think against a slow, cautious player with 19 BG's in a competition you will be lucky if they let you get 9 moves in.

Rob

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Robert241167 wrote:I think against a slow, cautious player with 19 BG's in a competition you will be lucky if they let you get 9 moves in.
Rob
No amount of rules changes can cope with that. I'm surprised you never caught any of his BG. He must be at 3 MU to shoot you with all that LF. I'm sure a man of your calibre can get past some of them as well, giving them nowhere to run.

There are times when you will meet arses who just wish to ruin your day. And if Paul wants to be an arse who are we to stop him.
phil

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:46 pm

I would add a few points.
1) Your LH interspersed with LH will run down everything in his army. With the new rules for commanders and marches you can easily engineer this.
2) Dailami Superior protected bow unit is now a very choice Dailami unit.
3) Dailami Elephant is just the thing for knights. But that is a matter of taste.

The table sitting is clearly much reduced but not completely.

Wait until he has to play on a 5x3 table.

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm

I'd be thinking perhaps of rough and difficult terrain - yes he might stuff that with LF but your MF would like that and it makes it more predictable where his mounted need to go. Possibly an option to use the lancers as rear support/fire brigade? Bit expensive for that though. Sometimes plans don't work.

navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:17 am

well well. What's arsey about using an unusually army and winning 22-3 with it? In under the regulation time i might add- so no slow play here; infact if i remember correctly Robert was playing for time to avoid defeat from fairly early on....!!! (no offence Robert!!)

In theory all sorts of things should/can happen but in practice they dont.

v2 rules make LF and LH shooting that much harder to be effective. Moving up to 4mu of light troops makes things interesting and can create a challenge.

Rob put a massive steep hill down which significantly reduced his MF moves and channelled his mounted

I think the lack of double move at the start for his MF is just a red herring really- it was the only place where my LH could go so a double move by them automatically takes them 5" into the opponents half.

he managed to push some LH off a side edge due to the new rule - positioning of troops on the table edge is a lot more critical now.

IanB3406
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by IanB3406 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:13 am

Lol....this makes me laugh.

Always good to get both pov.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 am

Yes yes Paul, if Rob wants to be an arse who are we to stop him.

Some people are so precious.
phil

Robert241167

Post by Robert241167 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am

:oops:

Robert241167

Post by Robert241167 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 am

Ooh !!! :twisted:

Since when has not breaking your opponents army within the agreed time been a 22-3 win in regulation time? :shock:

And there is a big difference between checking the time and playing for time !! :twisted:

I've learned my tricks from the master !! :P

Rob

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Robert241167 wrote:Ooh !!! :twisted: I've learned my tricks from the master !! :P

Rob
Yeah - now all you need to to is remember them and use them!
Evaluator of Supremacy

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”