How to defeat pikemen

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

ElCanter
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

How to defeat pikemen

Post by ElCanter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi, next saturday I will play against a Macedonian Army, I use Imperial Roman with Sarmatian ally.
So this is the problem: I never win against pike, after the impact my Legionaries lost every time meleè. I try to place some irregular terrain but it's difficult to iduce the opponent in.
Fortunately I have a Cavalry more strong that permit me to balance the situation.

But the problem are pikes...Since when I play against pikes I contract a pikephobia :D Can you help me to defeat my fear?

pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: How to defeat pikemen

Post by pyruse » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:32 am

Disrupt the pikes with shooting before you start melee, then they are no longer steady and you will beat them

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am

Romans should get better lf than the pike player. If you scare away the opponents lights you then force the pike to charge (or test not to).

You can then isolate the pikes.
Evaluator of Supremacy

ElCanter

Post by ElCanter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:27 pm

I've only a BG of 4MF archer, the possibility to cause them some problem is little. I've a tattic to massimize this ;)

Isolate pike with LH and LF is a good idea, I will try...I hope to distract his lights. otherwise it will be useless.

THanks

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:36 am

ElCanter wrote:I've only a BG of 4MF archer, the possibility to cause them some problem is little. I've a tattic to massimize this ;)

Isolate pike with LH and LF is a good idea, I will try...I hope to distract his lights. otherwise it will be useless.

THanks
Don't use light horse - foot aren't forced to test to not charge if they could contact mounted!
Evaluator of Supremacy

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:00 am

Imperial Rome vs pike army. A good game. 2 ways to do it: 1 beat the pikes, 2 Beat everything else.

1 beat the pikes. You must, must, must win impact because the pike disrupt, lose a base and the legion is happy. factors are equal, so you must try to get better rerolls. Armoured superior legions with general fighting in 8s or bigger (Dominate Roman can have legions with 12 bases). So against, say average pike in 8s you should win impact 3-2. Bad cohesion test for pike . Why a big legion? Well:

- one general can affect more dice
- if it goes bad, 1x8 base BG - 2 attrition points, 2x4 BG = 4 attrition points!

2. Beat everything else. Use your good cavalry, auxilia etc to kill the enemy flanks while a legion loses slowly in the centre.

mbsparta

Post by mbsparta » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:27 pm

We play Seleucids vs. MRR a lot. The two armies give a great game and offer a lot of different BG types.

I find that Superior Armored Romans in BG's of 8 do well against pike. They have staying power. Add in a General and you have a good chance to win. Once the pike phalanx gets "hurt" the tide turns to the Romans. My opponent has started using 12 stand pike BGs. They last longer for him, but make it easier for me to flank his line.

Good luck.

Mike B

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Also face the Legions with Pike as people have said. Then twist so you can dominate one side and get to the pike flank as the center scrum starts.

I would not clutter board. Keep it open you hope to get past their flank

ElCanter

Post by ElCanter » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Thankyou boys: I win 9-0 and kill Alexander 8)
Noone pike do a fight, I'll post some photos soon

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”