what to do with my fleet

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

ixlegion
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

what to do with my fleet

Post by ixlegion » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Can anyone console me regarding the large number of lovely Xyston ships I have bought, built and painted over the years, with regard to FoG?

Should they all be considered sunk :cry: ... or will later additions to FoG give them hope? :D

davem
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by davem » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:08 pm

Gone too are all the "Barker Markers", those 200 pace semi-circles, my NKE heavy foot (probably), weather effects, unreliable allies, pip droughts and the lack of naval has turned my dogs-breakfast Rapa Nui into a pile of Poo:-(
However we've got in their place those lovely "disrupted", "Frag'ed" etc markers....ooops?;-p
The plus side is that proper terrain will again grace our wargames tables...except when we have to travel on most forms of public/mass transport:-(
There are swings and roundabouts in any changes, but I'm wondering if too much has been lost?

ixlegion

Post by ixlegion » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 pm

I think you have hit the spot with the 'wondering' davem. I have a feeling that the Fog Team already have plans to incorporate those 'missing' bits ( weather, naval, not-so-allied, etc ) in later add-ons to the rules. It would be nice to know that they are thinking of incorporating these enhancements to the game instead of leaving us wondering.
Dont get me wrong ... FoG to me is like an ice cold beer on a hot day. Very refreshing. And now I can actually use some interesting terrain .. Impassible Lakes .. wonderful.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:45 am

We do plan to publish a campaign supplement which will cover fleets and many other things. At the moment, work on getting the rest of the army lists to you as soon as possible is taking priority.

kabrank
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by kabrank » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Richard

Thanks for this as I was wondering if Medieval vessle usage to support land campaigns was going to be possible at some point.

Great work on the arms lists so far. Once I saw "Storm of Arrows" I just had to get it and crack on with my 15mm 1400's army. My 28mm Crusaders are chafing at the bit for the Crusades edition.

Thansk for all then effort you are putting in on this.

Kelvin

karakhanid
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by karakhanid » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:44 pm

Chinese river campaings? (Osprey, New Vanguard 61, Fighting Ships of the Far East(1)).
Corean raids and japanese invasion? (Osprey, New Vanguard 63, Fighting Ships of the Far East(2)). :wink:
Mikel

Nomad
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Nomad » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:08 am

Crusading fleets supporting the land army? Medieval Italian river fighting? Venetian amphibious campaigns?

Bloody Vikings...

Flowing Rivers of Glory!

We want FRoG! :D

Seriously, I'm delighted to hear this, and will look forward to it with anticipation.

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Flowing Rivers of Glory! That is a fantastic name. Bring on the FRoG!

Marc

acl
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by acl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:49 pm

While it's a shame for those of us who hve painted these up, I think it good on the whole that ships are limited to campaigns and special scenarios.

It's hard to think of many battles in our period on which ships and boats had a direct, tactical influence. As opposed to the many in which they influenced the strategy.

They were not used that often in the old rules, which was good. But too many of these "once in a blue moon" weapons and tactics thicken-up a set, make it look more complicated than it is and so act as a barrier to new players.

Popping them into an opptional campaign supplement seems like a good way around this.

Alan

mannmarke
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mannmarke » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:47 am

They are already poping up on ebay.

Mark

ixlegion

Post by ixlegion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:05 am

Now that I know Campaign Supplements are planned for the future, my fleet will happily stay in their box until required :-)

I'm all in favour of taking boats out of a 'normal' game and putting them in their rightful place ... for the strategic placement of troops ... and ( as in ) Demetrios case, to assist the troops.

Looking forward to seeing how it all works out. As a veteran of Squad Leader/ ASL .... I know what it's like to wait a long long time for a good game to 'fill out'.

Alan

lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: what to do with my fleet

Post by lawrenceg » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:24 am

ixlegion wrote:Can anyone console me regarding the large number of lovely Xyston ships I have bought, built and painted over the years, with regard to FoG?

Should they all be considered sunk :cry: ... or will later additions to FoG give them hope? :D
Use them for DBMM? :lol:
Lawrence Greaves

ixlegion

Post by ixlegion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Use them for DBMM?
Good one :lol: ... I'd rather watch them melt :!:

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Most of mine are currently making good money on ebay - and still a few days to go

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZthe_ ... ianQQhtZ-1

Still cant bear to part with the Essex Egyptian ships though...
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”