Terrain on a Budget

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Tokhuah
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Terrain on a Budget

Post by Tokhuah »

I have no terrain for 15mm so I need to pick some up. However, I am not into spending a ton of money. I would rather use something printed on paper or shapes cut out of felt than products on par with Miniature War Maker quality because I want to spend my money on additional armies rather than terrain. Does anyone have a suggestion for pre-made or easy to make budget terrain?
suck it
Intothevalley
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Terrain on a Budget

Post by Intothevalley »

Well, a few years ago I stockpiled a load of wood that I was going to lovingly sculpt into detailed and beautiful terrain of all kinds. Then I found a bit of old carpet and a doormat, chopped it up into the relevant sizes and thought to myself 'this will do in the meantime'. I put stones (from the garden) on these bits for rocky ground, bushes (that stuff they use for model railways) for brush, the odd tree (a few quid from Essex) for forests/woods and chopped up scouring pads painted green (or left their 'natural' colour if already green) for field boundaries/vines. For hills I bought some polystyrene affairs which were a few quid. I think this cost me no more than £20 and half an hour or so in time. It wasn't the prettiest, but it was cheap and effective, and no worse than what my opponents were bringing to the club.

I think the wood is still where I left it, shoved behind the painting desk, or was it in the shed? Might get round to it when I retire or the kids leave home....

This summer I saw some ready made + painted terrain sold by Magister Militum, and since I now have the cash, spent an army's worth on it.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Most people buy felt of different colours from craft shops and add sprinkly bits. Lichen, loose chippings, match and lolly sticks for fences. Or you can, allegedly, knit your own terrain
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
spotteddog
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by spotteddog »

philqw78 wrote:Most people buy felt of different colours from craft shops and add sprinkly bits. Lichen, loose chippings, match and lolly sticks for fences. Or you can, allegedly, knit your own terrain
I am sorry Phil but this is absolutely not true. I definitely cannot knit my own terrain.
stancolleymore
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by stancolleymore »

The Range group of shops sells Funky Foam in 12" x 12" and 12" x 18" (which are both £1 so get the 18"). There can easily be cut and stuck together with PVA glue for hills. You can scatter sand to texture them. You can paint them with any water colour paints, I user the little tester pots.

Here is a hill.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”