New Player Looking for Tips

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Diocletian284
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

New Player Looking for Tips

Post by Diocletian284 »

I am new to FoG AM. I have had the 1st edition rules for awhile and recently purchased the 3rd Edition rules and have been reading through them. I have experience with ancients gaming playing mostly DBx type games (DBA and ADLG). I am looking for something a bit different to try. Since ADLG is the most popular game in my region, looks like I will be doing FoG solo for now, which is fine.

I have signed up for the FoG Yahoo group and the FoG Players Association to get communication lines open.

I am a 28mm player. I have Middle Republican Romans, Later ImperiaI Romans, and Seleucids (in production). I do not have a large number of figures, so it looks like FoG 300 is a good supplement for me to use. I cannot field the 600+ point armies, but can do 300 points. I am planning to do Republican Romans versus Seleucids solo games.

What is appealing to me so far about FoG Am is that a single stand is not a whole unit like in DBA and ADLG. You have multiple stands of different amounts depending on army list combined together to make a battle group. Overall, the rules seem a bit more intensive, but I am looking for a game with more "meat" to it.

Are there any suggestions for solo play, or any tips to help? Hopefully after getting good with solo play and understanding the rules better I can introduce others.
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: New Player Looking for Tips

Post by berthier »

First and foremost, welcome to FOG. I would also suggest that you sign up for the FOG-AM Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1726636790966631/about/) if you Facebook. The yahoo group traffic is sporadic at best.

I am glad you have found FOG 300 to be useful as that was the intent. Feel free to post questions here or on the blog about FOG 300 and I will try and answer them as quickly as possible. You mentioned that 28mm is your preferred scale. As you modify FOG 300 to 28mm please share with me your experiences and I will look at adjusting FOG 300 to provide options for 28mm as well.

As for tips for playing Solo, there are a few different methods out there to use and it really is up to what makes it feel right. I do not use a formal method when I use FOG 300 solo as I usually have a set of interactions I want to try out. The bottom line is to create an enjoyable experience that looks and feels right.

Unfortunately, I do not get to Pennsylvania very much or I would try to hook up with you for a few rounds. Just as an aside, there is a strong possibility that we will have an 800 point FOG tournament in Birmingham, AL, in February. I am pretty sure we could hook you up with a 15mm 800 point army if you are interested. Romans and Seleucids are pretty common around here.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
Diocletian284

Post by Diocletian284 »

Thank you Christopher. I will let you know how I work with 28mm and FOG 300. FOG 300 is a good way to get into the game and learn it. Over time, I can build up larger armies.

I will give some though to the Birmingham, AL event.
DrPsyche
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by DrPsyche »

First and foremost, welcome to FOG. I would also suggest that you sign up for the FOG-AM Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1726636790966631/about/writemyessayfast) if you Facebook. The yahoo group traffic is sporadic at best.

I am glad you have found FOG 300 to be useful as that was the intent. Feel free to post questions here or on the blog about FOG 300 and I will try and answer them as quickly as possible. You mentioned that 28mm is your preferred scale. As you modify FOG 300 to 28mm please share with me your experiences and I will look at adjusting FOG 300 to provide options for 28mm as well.

As for tips for playing Solo, there are a few different methods out there to use and it really is up to what makes it feel right. I do not use a formal method when I use FOG 300 solo as I usually have a set of interactions I want to try out. The bottom line is to create an enjoyable experience that looks and feels right.

Unfortunately, I do not get to Pennsylvania very much or I would try to hook up with you for a few rounds. Just as an aside, there is a strong possibility that we will have an 800 point FOG tournament in Birmingham, AL, in February. I am pretty sure we could hook you up with a 15mm 800 point army if you are interested. Romans and Seleucids are pretty common around here.
Hello,

Where can I find the Caliver Books revision (the latest version)? Probably, I also need to sign up for the FoG Players Association too. Thanks.

Best,
Terry
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

This should you take you to the correct page - be sure to order V3.

https://www.caliverbooks.com/catviewer. ... e=A&page=2

Send me a private message with your email address and I'll add you to the FoG Players Association
Pete
DrPsyche

Post by DrPsyche »

petedalby wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 am This should you take you to the correct page - be sure to order V3.

https://www.caliverbooks.com/catviewer. ... e=A&page=2

Send me a private message with your email address and I'll add you to the FoG Players Association
Thanks, Pete. Have just sent you an e-mail.
berthier

Post by berthier »

On Military Matters in the US also stocks the V3 books.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”