Swedish cavalry help?

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Amra
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Swedish cavalry help?

Post by Amra » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 am

Hey Shadow Dragon are you still around ?
i need to prove the Life Guard are lights....

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Yup. Still around.

Well there’s what I wrote above...Lifgardet til hast (Royal Horse Guards. They shouldn't have a cuirass. They are in the lists as guard heavy cavalry but should be guard light cavalry. Prior to 1805 they were the light Life Dragoons - Latta lifdragonregementet - and in 1814 they wore a Russian style hussar uniform. The white uniform was their parade dress uniform but their campaign uniform, except for officers, was light blue.

Hard to prove a dragoon in many cases that a dragoon is heavy or light but the fact that their name was literally “light life dragoon” before becoming Life Horse Guards and that in the 1813-14 campaign they adopted Russian style hussar uniforms is persuasive for me. Perhaps those who think their heavies should say why - other than an unreferenced FoG list.

Also their sword was a light cavalry type.

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:34 pm

Amra wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 am
Hey Shadow Dragon are you still around ?
i need to prove the Life Guard are lights....
There are also historical paintings here:

https://www.napoleon-series.org/militar ... forms.html

The image that says "Light Cavalry" has a Royal Horse Guard trooper and the original painting is entitled "Royal Swedish Light Cavalry". There is a counterpart for the heavies.

Mike Horah did the original FoG lists and used Nafziger's orders of battle. I have all of the Nafziger Swedish lists for 1813-14 and there's some confusion; in most of the lists there's a "Lifgardet till häst" (i.e., Life Guard Horse) regiment but in the Battle of Leipzig list the Lifgardet till häst disappear and instead there's the a "Guard Dragoon" regiment. I believe that the "Guard Dragoon" regiment is the "Lifgardet till häst" regiment and the difference may be due to the source used by Nafziger and the translation, but who knows.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”