Austrian grenadier facings

Moderators: hammy, Blathergut, terrys, Slitherine Core

marty
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Austrian grenadier facings

Post by marty » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:03 am

As I understand it Austria had no grenadier regiments as such. They were a conglomerate of grenadiers from other regiments.

If I was painting a grenadier "regiment" for FOGN would the best approach be to paint the regiment with a variety of different facing colours to represent the different regiments they came from originally?

Thanks

Martin

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Austrian grenadier facings

Post by ravenflight » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:31 am

marty wrote:As I understand it Austria had no grenadier regiments as such. They were a conglomerate of grenadiers from other regiments.

If I was painting a grenadier "regiment" for FOGN would the best approach be to paint the regiment with a variety of different facing colours to represent the different regiments they came from originally?

Thanks

Martin
I think so. What I would do is add the grenadiers to the painting pile of line I was doing and then base them together so that they match the bgs you have in your army.

Just my 'painting' suggestion. Short of doing research in my ospreys I can't give historical suggestions.

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:33 am

ravenflight wrote:I think so. What I would do is add the grenadiers to the painting pile of line I was doing and then base them together so that they match the bgs you have in your army.

Just my 'painting' suggestion. Short of doing research in my ospreys I can't give historical suggestions.
Of course, the French don't need to do that... the whole army is elite!

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:55 pm

When I did my Austrian grenadiets I did 2 bases in the same facing colours, following the line regiments I had painted. Nice colourful unit when deployed.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:44 pm

You are correct. The Austrian Grenadier formations were (two I think) companies per battalion and they were uniformly stripped out into their own "converged" battalion and then massed with other grenadier battalions in a division and then employed as a Grenadier (reserve) division. In the army rosters for example in the 1809 you can see each battalion named after the battalion commander.

So a "regiment" in FOG (n) terms would be a few battalions, so yes multiple facings.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”