Modelling Commanders and Command Points

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

ASadisticRug
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Modelling Commanders and Command Points

Post by ASadisticRug »

Hi,

Again like my last post Ive tried searching the forums and havent found and posts (there's probably a few) about this.
Im on my first read through of the rules and I was wondering how most of you modeled your commanders and the points they have? I was thinking 3 mounted officers/ suitable figures for Corps command and 2 for divisional and then have one figure on a base for the points they make. How do you guys do it? Is there generally accepted ways of modelling commanders?

Cheers, Matt.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Modelling Commanders and Command Points

Post by deadtorius »

I have two armies, Russian and Austrian. For my Austrian armiy I have the corps commander with 2 mounted figures on the base, divisional commanders are single figures and I have one extra Hussar painted up in the "Hungarian" generals hussar uniform for if I run a cavalry division. Command points are single mounted figures on a base 30 mm wide by 60 mm deep, Im using 28 mm figures. My Austrian infantry is all from Victrix and you get 2 mounted figures per box with head and hand choices so making the staff figures and brigadiers was easy. For the record our brigadiers are single mounted figures on a 30mm wide by 45mm deep base, so the base depth matches the base depth of the unit, 60 mm for command staff, 45 mm if your commanding a unit.

The Russian army was a bit different. I am using Perry miniatures and they make a nice collection of Russian officers on foot. In this case my corps commander is sitting down pointing, with map in front of him and an aide taking notes while another officer stands by observing, so 3 figures. The Divisonal command bases have 2 figures each, I used some Warlord Russian commanders to make up for the numbers. I also have a warlord mounted Russian commander waving his bicorne for the cavalry division command base, a single figure. The Russian ADC's are all Perry mounted commanders once again on a 30 mm wide by 60mm deep base. Unfortunately Perry only makes the two command packs so I had to use the same mounted command figs for the Russian brigadiers on smaller bases. I also managed to convert 1 mounted Victrix Austrian into a Russian ADC, his horse blanket does not have pistol holsters but I have had him out at a convention and no one has ever asked about him so its all good. Biggest problem I have with warlord is their weird marketing decisions, lets make a command pack put in one officer a flag and a drummer??? Really if I want a command pack give me 3 general officers, mounted or foot or both but now I have extra drummers... stupid, which is why I wont normally buy their command packs but I only needed a few figures so I spent the money.

Each command stand, division or corps gets one ADC fig per command point they have. Corps can then send their command figures to any division or hold on to them to move. The ADC figures start the turn touching their commander, as the points are spent we just remove the figure and set it aside, that way you can tell if you have points left or not. At the end of the turn all the ADC figures are returned to their respective commanders. It really does not matter who gets a specific figure as long as they get the proper number of command points back at the end of the turn. Although I had some extra Hussars and like to use them for ADC's for a mixed or cavalry division.

Hope that helps you out and welcome to the world of FOG N
ASadisticRug

Re: Modelling Commanders and Command Points

Post by ASadisticRug »

Cool thanks thats given me some good ideas. I guess I can find out what the people in my area do for basing also in 15mm so I can match up with them.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”