Orbital Bombardment

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Orbital Bombardment

Post by Theodotus »

I've built the uplink, but can't figure out how to use it. How does this Orkney?
Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Orbital Bombardment

Post by Theodotus »

Apparently there is supposed to be an operations window, but I'm not seeing it. Where would that show up on the screen?
Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Giskler »

The operations window is in the upper left corner of the screen.
Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Theodotus »

There are no windows at all in either of the upper corners of the screen. Do I have to do something to make it visible?
Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire »

It should show up on the top left hand side in white. Orbital bombardment, satellite recon, field upgrade (troop level increase), clone center (~10 turns growth for a city of your choosing) should all show up there.

To use, click or select the one you want to use, then select either the unit or city to enact changes on.
Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Theodotus »

There's no window up there at all.

I built the orbital bombardment building -- should that make the operations window show up? Or do I have to do something further? Because the operations window is not visible.
Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Theodotus »

Ok, I went back to a previous save and researched field training, and then built a field training operation, and then the operations winow finally appeared. It just doesn't appear if the first operation you get is orbital bombardment.

This seems like a bug.
Mrots
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Mrots »

It could be due to the cooldown? Orbital bombardment has a 5 turn cooldown and every one you build starts it's cooldown cycle as though it just fired. Makes sense, it needs to be loaded first. Any chance it is that?
Giskler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Giskler »

Yes, it takes 5 turns for the first Orbital Bombardment to be available. It's not a bug per se, but it can be confusing.
Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Theodotus »

I don't think it was the cool down, but I haven't gone back and tested to be absolutely certain. (I'm having too much fun playing my current game to go back right now. I'll test it a bit later. :D )
Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire »

I thought it was just a 5 turn cooldown before you could build another by the same city...

I store them up and use them all at once on the big oceangoing ones w/ 32 and 64 power - those hurt when they chase you, though fun to drag on your enemies!! Do need some larger land going ones - I think should be like mid-game and you build a ton of pollution your most pollution based tile will spawn a huge Xeno.. would be a good use of the pollution stuff, so far it is just morale and doesn't really do too much near endgame.
Theodotus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Theodotus »

No need to build another one after the 5-turn cooldown -- another bombardment automatically becomes available when the cooldown finishes.

But I seem to remember that the operations window wouldn't appear after I built the uplink building, even after 5 turns had passed. I had to build another type of operation before the window would come up, and then when it did the bombardment operation was already available there.
Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael »

I noticed that the orbital bombardments seem to accumulate if you don't use them. I like that.
Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire »

Yes, if I'm just puttering around and building stuff and have a lot of good units just prolonging the game, or I'm trying to wipe out one of the BIG power 62 or so sea creatures (need some BIG land ones near endgame to spawn once you've put out pollution for a long time) I'll use a bunch at once on the same target to wear them down then bounce on them with a unit to kill them.
Spazticus
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Spazticus »

Earthmichael wrote:I noticed that the orbital bombardments seem to accumulate if you don't use them. I like that.
From what I've observed, you get one bombardment operation per building, so one built in each city you own will give you multiple operations, and the cooldowns also seem to be tracked individually. With enough cities, say 10+, you can realistically only use 1-2 per turn, and the cooldowns will just keep on cycling. One of the techs you research also gives you a few for free (three of them, IIRC.)
Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire »

I've had at least 10 at one time before used in the same turn.
Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire »

Going along with the Orbital Bombardment - if we can push satellites in space to shoot stuff down, you'd think one of the researches would be we could build spy satellites that could unlock the map for a duration - or build a unit that could keep a small section of the map clear from fog of war, maybe the same size as a starter city - enough to keep valuable trade / military lanes open and under view.
Spazticus

Post by Spazticus »

Wildfire wrote:I've had at least 10 at one time before used in the same turn.
Sure, but the drawback to using all of them at once is that you have to wait for them all to cooldown. I was suggesting that you can use a few at a time, and never have a turn without at least being able to bombard something. Of course, when you have enough cities to use 10+ in a turn, your forces should presumably be able to seize the momentum, or at least recover somewhat.
Wildfire
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Wildfire »

Spazticus wrote:
Wildfire wrote:I've had at least 10 at one time before used in the same turn.
Sure, but the drawback to using all of them at once is that you have to wait for them all to cooldown. I was suggesting that you can use a few at a time, and never have a turn without at least being able to bombard something. Of course, when you have enough cities to use 10+ in a turn, your forces should presumably be able to seize the momentum, or at least recover somewhat.

Yea, I normally use them on the larger sea Xenos - the power level 32 and 64 ones to bring them down enough so I don't lose all of my ships when killing them, or when I find a city loaded with enemy units where I can cause a bunch of chaos at once.
Earthmichael
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Earthmichael »

I used to think you should use orbital bombardments as soon as useful, so they could recharge.

But it seems to me that they recharge anyway and stack up to orbital bombardments available. I like that.

So then I use them when I want. I rarely ever deplete them all in case a target of opportunity becomes available.

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”