Support for games using the Alea Jacta Est engine such as Birth of Rome

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Hippias
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

BOR + Languages

Post by Hippias »

Hello

Couple of newbie questions, from a not very tech savvy customer, before I commit to buying :D

Is Birth of Rome completely standalone i.e .can I buy, instal and play this before getting AJR?

Will the DLC's for Spartacus and Cantabrian wars work with just BOR installed (no AJE)

Slitherine/Matrix/Ageod - what's the connection? Your web sites look very similar, but I don't want to risk ordering from the wrong one and getting a version in French or Spanish!

What's the value of ordering the boxed version as well as the download i.e. if I get a new PC next year, could I re-download from my original link or would I need to instal from the disc version

Cheers
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: BOR + Languages

Post by VPaulus »

Hippias wrote:Is Birth of Rome completely standalone i.e .can I buy, instal and play this before getting AJR?
Yes, "Birth of Rome" is a standalone version. So you can play it without having AJR.

Hippias wrote:Will the DLC's for Spartacus and Cantabrian wars work with just BOR installed (no AJE)
Unfortunately, I think they only work if you have AJE. But I'll confirm this later

Hippias wrote:Slitherine/Matrix/Ageod - what's the connection? Your web sites look very similar, but I don't want to risk ordering from the wrong one and getting a version in French or Spanish!
You can order from any of those shops. Slitherine, Matrix Games and AGEOD are part of the Slitherine Group. The game versions will be the same.

Hippias wrote:What's the value of ordering the boxed version as well as the download i.e. if I get a new PC next year, could I re-download from my original link or would I need to instal from the disc version
The download links are only valid for a limited period of time. But you can ask, as many times as you want, for new download links and we will provide them. If you backup the installer file, for example, in a DVD, Flash USB pen drive or in an external HD, you can use that file later to install in a new PC or in a new Windows installation. The boxed editions are usually for those that like to collect box editions of the games or that have some issues with their Internet connection.
Hippias

Post by Hippias »

Thank you sir - a brisk and most comprehensive reply. Grateful for your future confirmation re the DLC's...

I tried the AJE demo and thought that a full version of those game scenario's would be hard going for a beginner, covering the whole Roman world, so thought I would start with the smaller game area of BOR and get the hang of just running Italy...

Good to see Slitherine thriving - I was a customer many years ago in the Legion/Spartan days, when it was just a couple of MacNeil's and Simon Scarrow's brother - you have come a LONG way since :D
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

It's possible to play Spartacus and Cantabrian Wars with BoR without having purchased AJE. You'll have to install AJE 1.02a update (besides BoR updated 1.02a) in BoR folder.
After that both expansions are playable with BoR.
Hippias

Post by Hippias »

Many thanks

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series : Tech Support”