Game crashes when open

Commander - The Great War: Tech Support

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Game crashes when open

Post by best75 »

I amd playing on the ipad 2 and when I open the game it immediately crashes. I deleted the app and redownload it but it still crashes.
JohnMcD
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Game crashes when open

Post by JohnMcD »

Similar problem here.

I bought it for my iPad and download the software.

When I launch the program the screen goes black, then the program sits open as a blank screen in the background and won't actually open the software.

Tried to delete and reload the App. No changes.
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello guys,

Sorry you are having problems with your game. We do our internal testing in an iPad 2 and have not experienced the issue. Please try deleting the app, then press and hold the Home and Hold buttons until the Apple logo appears. Then allow your device to reboot and once it has please redownload the app and see if it will run.
teletabicus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by teletabicus »

I've the same problem but it start after my update on Apple store. I tried the suggested above solution by JoeMiller but it doesn't work
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello teletabicus,

How much space do you have free on your device? Also, what is the total space.
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

I also tried the above but it does not work. I have 763 mb on my ipad and it's a 16 gb one.
teletabicus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by teletabicus »

I tried too but it doesn't work. I've 8,6 GB available
JohnMcD

Post by JohnMcD »

How can you tell if the full game has even downloaded?

All I get is a temporary black screen then it jumps back to my "desk"top view.

I also have over 1gb of space on the Ipad2 but the game won't start.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Hey Slitherine!

Why don't you kick some butt, to try and help these members out? It sure sounds like you (Slitherine) are left with a bag of crap while Lordz skips off to the bank without lifting a finger to do due diligence in customer support. :?
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Sorry I'm only responding to this now guys, but I was out of the office.

I've checked with the Producer and the latest patch was tested on an iPad 2 and an iPad 3, so this should work. For any who do have less than 5GB free, this can cause performance issues on Mobile devices, as the Operating system can use up to 5GB. However it would seem that this may not be the issue.

Unfortunately the only way to know for certain if the full game has installed is to check the size it occupies. Teletabicus (and others but I know for certain space is not an issue for you), are you using the latest version of the iOS? Also, which device are you running the game on?
Manas

Post by Manas »

Add me to the chorus. Ever since the new patch, I haven't been able to open the game on my iPad 2, iOS 7. Before that, the game ran just fine.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, re-installing via iTunes rather than OTA, and I tried the hold/home button solution mentioned above. All has been to no avail. The game will not start.

Clicking on the icon in iOS brings up a black screen, after which I am returned to the iOS home screen. Repeated attempts to start the app have the same outcome. Interestingly, I have tried to export a game log via iTunes (as described here viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51355), and it shows that there are no files available -- no saves (which is not surprising) and no logs (which is surprising).

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Manas

Post by Manas »

Well I resolved the problem on my own by upgrading to iOS 9, which is a real step down, performance-wise, on my iPad 2. However, considering that both Commander: The Great War and, subsequently, Panzer Corps stopped working properly on iOS 7 after their most recent patches, it was clear that the writing was on the wall.

I like C:TGW and Panzer Corps a lot. But I have to say that it's pretty shabby to break games (the latter of which in particular was not inexpensive once all of the DLCs are counted) that worked perfectly well on older hardware (and that's to say nothing of the recent Battle of the Bulge fiasco). Considering the mobile platform's rapid upgrade cycle, this runs the risk of burning users who paid good money for an app, but can no longer use it because a new patch suddenly requires an OS upgrade that might leave their hardware behind. This is particularly the case when C:TGW says on the iTunes Store that it's IOS 7 compatible (and Panzer Corps supposedly only requires 5.1).
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

It is the iOS upgrades that break the games, so the other way around, that totally frustrate all developers on iPad...

Another big issue is that Apple decided a few months back to no longer accept 32-bits upgrades, as most games and apps that date a few years back, are all 32-bit, it basically means a lot of work and time to convert the existing games so they are 64-bit compatible and can be updated at all... For some this is economically not acceptable or possible. So they make it so hard for us to update older games like this, also you have the whole approval process taking so long all the time. Rant a bit more on Apple.... ;-)

Rule is, always update to the latest iOS... iOS is not a friendly and easy development paltform.
Manas

Post by Manas »

But what if we -can't- upgrade? I, like many others, have an iPad 2, which previously ran both Commander: The Great War and Panzer Corps with no problems on iOS 7. That is, apparently, no longer the case, and I had to upgrade to iOS 9. Mercifully, iOS 9 still works on the iPad 2.

But what happens with iOS 10? or iOS 11? Eventually, older iPads will no longer be able to upgrade to newer versions of the OS, which is understandable. My problem -- and my fear -- is that, having invested money in these games, a future update will again break them. But given the age of my iPad, I will most likely not be able to upgrade to a new version of iOS, and so I no longer be able to play the games I've purchased -- and which previously worked fine -- without having to buy a new iPad.

Return to “Commander - The Great War: Tech Support”