NEW UPDATE 11.1! AUG1st 2020

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.02! JUL18th 2020

Post by Unwichtig » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 pm

Yes i agree, gbr is a game changer. once their navy is activ, germany must have naval assets in the north sea to prevent the blockade.
this does not allow germany to have a navy in the baltics early game.

knowing that warsaw is so critical to GBR was an advantage for me, i guess. i did not know it would work, but actually they joined entente even on the same turn.
This does not matter against the computer as they always defend warsaw, but a human player should - from my opinion - not.

3 turn delay would be a solution.
OR
a massive bonus for CP if they get warsaw to make it still attractive and forces russia to defend it.
(a bonus like 50PP, incresed morale, additional workforce, plus one railroad capacity or whatever)
OR italy, romania, bulgaria find it so impressive that CP can capture it so early, that they get a big boost and will to join CP faster. (This would be my favourite solution).

By the way...Rupprecht 3rd attempt screenshot. works, nothing more to change here, took a while but figured it out.
Ruprecht 3rd attempt.jpg
Ruprecht 3rd attempt.jpg (446.75 KiB) Viewed 328 times

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robotron » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 am

@unwichtig: so, how's your match going?
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:25 pm

We are having two epic matches here. Both undecided, both Turn 26 each. Takes some time the moment as we need to work during the week.

So many things happening everywhere, i cant say who will win. Maybe we have to fight full 60 rounds.
Key observations:
- Research anti submarine tech early as entente is vital
- an offensive into germany with france is very risky as it looks like i will bleed out of men after outflanking south west germany from both switzerland and belgium at same time. it looked okay initially...but i am running out of steam
- offensive with serbia not recommended. just defend and keep as many austrian troops busy as long as possible. my serbian army is crushed after invading austrian soil, now i fear austrian troops will redeploy soon to the west
- we are both not yet conviced how tu use the austrian navy most efficiently. difficulty is that the choke point to adria can be easily blocked with one entente unit that prevents austria to resupply in ports as austria has no other ports in med. yet. that makes is risky to leave adriatic sea prior to ottoman joining the CP to have additional ports. this is a good reason to have ottoman joining asap.
- germany with aufmarsch ost plan has a significant problem to break the noth sea blockade with only two seaports. withouf the capture of belgium/france or the netherlands joining CP, two ports (or 3 with kiel) dont allow large scale naval ops in the channel. the RN has a major advantage here with 5 ports in dreadnout range of nothsea.
- playing against human makes AI in single player look like cheating - our impression is that AI has much more units than we have, but we are both low on PP and manpower. we have gaps in the frontline and cant cover them all. (maybe we just criple each other too efficiently)?

alltogether: nothing to change. all the difficulties are realistic and just a consequence of a players strategic decisions. great!
AAR to follow.

DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:33 am

Interesting posts Unwichtig - thank you.

Robotron - any possibility in the future of working difficulty levels back in while still retaining the German plan options?

I really like the various events and enhancements but am not a top level player ... so a slightly less challenging option would be welcomed .....
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Dont think that is possible, but trust me all options are achievable with the ruprecht plan being the most difficult CP attack plan.

Anyway, if you want to practice we can have a MP match just to try stuff. I also keep learning just by playing more and more matches.
I can host a match, join potzblitz if you want. But please have latest up to date version 11.2 installed to avoid crash.
what you want me to play? Entente or CP?

DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks for the offer Unwichtig - but I only play single player due to uncertain circumstances.

I have a special needs child and after my last attempt at multiplayer where I could not play back for 2 months - I decided only to inflict that unfairness only on my unfeeling computer.

Well - I see above that there seems to be a scripting way to shave some Prod points off the AI if needed - but I'll give it another go with the default set up.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51 pm

No worries don,
i very much appreciate your honesty and understand your focus on single player only.

In which case i will try to help you a little with some general advice for single player only.
(obersvations made after approx 300 hours of single player campaigning with the CPs).

1. you are not the only one that finds potzblitz hard. in fact, i think playing it with the CPs in single player is one of the hardest games i have ever played.
one could say this is realistic - it must be hard to change history - and in addition the challenges the CP are facing seem to be pretty realistic.
I keep trying and trying and most of my attempts fail as well, but its still fun to see how long you can survive tha chaos.

2. Aufmarsch Ost is the easiest plan. a few weeks ago i explained in detail how it can be executed, its somewhere in this forum. germany strikes east allows you to focus on one front for a very long time as defending against france in only 4 hexes is very easy. at the same time gbr joins very late due to no belgium neutrality violation. if you strike east, ensure that you capture warsaw, riga and vilna before winter starts. its possible! dont go for the kiev option, austrian troops are poor they should not attack, that never worked for me. never waste time to ´fully kill´ russian units in the fortresses! keep the high pace and keep marching east, the hotspots will be surrounded and run out uof supply anyway. the computer does not leave the fortress. so just surround them and keep going. cavalry helps a lot in the east, build min 4 units that form the peak of the attack. russia can be done in 1915/16, which leaves you enough time to attack france as well. The good thing about this is, that italy likes a successfull germany and ist mostly attracted to join CP after campaign in the east. chance that they join entente is reduced significantly.

3. schliefenplan is already much harder. yes, you can and should take paris in 1914. sounds impossible but its achievable by very carefully using the way you approach with infantry. basic rule is: always move as many hexes as possible into french territory. the further and deeper you can move into france, the better. never miss a hex, even if this leads to strange looking frontline. if you dont capture the hex, the french will, and it is much more difficult to get them out of the hex instead of defending it when you are in it. a successfull schliefenplan should include at least two channel ports (antwerp, rouen or calais) plus paris. if you dont get that in 1914, its over. Problem is, that the AI seems to have endless transporters that keep arriving in france and bring new troops. you must stop that from happening asap. thats only possible with german naval units in the channel. thats why you need ports to resupply asap. your abovewater fleet is too vunlerable against british dreadnought dominance, which is why you should basically build one german sub per turn in avarage starting in turn 1! this will pay off. use them to block gbr transports to arrive in france. if this is done, france can be defeated. dont worry too much about verdun and the other fortresses, they can be captured later. (too time consuming!).

4. Serbia: an early victory is vital if germany focusses on the west. with schlieffen and rupprecht, german units should only deploy against france until a decisive victory is achieved. (see 3!). this will lead to a catastrophic eastern front which must be defended by austrian troops. to have them available, serbia should surrender in the first 10 turns. my record is turn 8 serbia surrender. try to beat it :) this allows you to deploy all forces to stabalize the east. if you can get bulgaria into war with events, do it! use them to block russians as well. if you cant do this, the game is likely lost.
thats what makes the game so hard - you need a good execution on all 4 frontlines (france, serbia, russia and at sea) at the same time. if one fails, you likely loose as CP.
your aim for war with serbia must be the two production cities tirana and buckarest. again, the rest is less important. you have to sneak into serbian territory and approach tirana direct where you find that single hex gap at game start above that serbian fortress. go for it! first attack on it must work! if not, serbia puts an army inside which is...not good for you. artillery must fire on buckarest supported by 3 army corps attack it as early as possible. if this works, serbia is done.

5. Rupprecht: I still could not win a game with this plan. yes, my initial attacks looks okay now. but i never made it longer than 30 turns. key problems are:
- fighting the french in the mountains is slow and does not block any channel ports. you might break the defenses in france like i did (see screenshot this forum page 80), but when you arrive in paris, the british expeditionary corps has already arrived and totally crushes the rest of your army (which will be exhausted/red).
- i always had the impression that i had to fight two armies (fra, gbr) in france instead of just one if this plan is choosen. altogether this plan is too slow, reenforcements arrive too late at the frontline as the french block the railroads with forts.
- the penalty of declaring war on swirzerland leads to an italy that joins entente. that always happend in my attempts, and they just march into germany while i am crippled by british exp. force in france. at the moment, i have no idea what to do about it.
- want a challenge? try it, i would love to see a player winning with CP using the rupprecht plan. i keep trying.

6. Basically: Every surrender of any country should be accepted immediately. i know, its always nice to "finish a country off" and capture all cities and also get some experienced troops plus capture the ports. but in this game speed is more important. someone surrender? accept! and redeploy the troops to the next frontline.

7. do everything you can to keep italy out of the war or make them join you. I never won a potzblitzgame in which italy joined the entente yet. watch the manual how you can achieve that.

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 pm

MP Crash Turn 1 Serbian Move.
ctgw.rar
(674 Bytes) Downloaded 2 times
First two MP matches almost finished, very interesting moves both sides. aar to follow.
not fully complete but we start a fresh game my friend wants a revenge :) we had a lot of fun, still learning the differences to singleplayer.
much more interesting against human, but it shows how much the AI cheats, i.e. 4 army corps spawning in salonika after the greek shism.
human players need to ship them all one by one. same for north africa - computer seems to have 20 units deployed including tanks artillery etc.
human can only deploy the light army troops. never mind, same conditions for both ployers so its okay.

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 pm

The crash bug is caused by one of the opponents using an ancient version of my mod or maybe not using my mod at all.
The error points at a vital variable introduced in Potzblitz since when the diplo-point system was introduced, and that variable is missing in that match.

Maybe that person forgot to install my mod before issuing a challenge and instead issued a challenge using the vanilla game?

Considering your other MP matches:
not fully complete
This is too bad because I'd like to know if the victory-screens in MP are working just right. *sigh!*

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:11 am

Robotron wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 pm
The crash bug is caused by one of the opponents using an ancient version of my mod or maybe not using my mod at all.
The error points at a vital variable introduced in Potzblitz since when the diplo-point system was introduced, and that variable is missing in that match.

Maybe that person forgot to install my mod before issuing a challenge and instead issued a challenge using the vanilla game?
Its the same player from the other two games. we have the same version, checked that before we started the new game.
we are already playing two MP games without any crashes for more than a week now.
this crash is only happening to the newly hosted game from today.

its also the potzblitz game, our 3 games should be visible in MP arena, it says potzblitz 1914-18 in all of them.
i will ask him if he has updated anything or not but i dont think so because just few minutes earlier we finished the other turns of the other two games.

maybe its just a strange bug, dont worry, tomorrow we will see each other and i will host a new game.
sure we will smash many turns tomorrow evening. intention is to finish the two running games, so you will see the ending, i will let you know.

he must not surrender right? we must realy finish it until one side collapses to see the final screen right?

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:10 pm

he must not surrender right? we must realy finish it until one side collapses to see the final screen right?
Play whatever way you like, but it would really be helpful if I could see a final screenshot that shows the victory event and the resources box.

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:25 pm

yes ok, should not take much longer.
just invaded germany in one of the MP games and after i conquered emden, the beautiful hometown of the potzblitz maker, germany surrendered. :P

in my cp game i accepted french surrender and the royal navy is finished, already suffering demonstrations almost every round.

both games will come to an end today, i will post screenshots.

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:31 pm

About the crash:

The crash happens during the first Entente turn.

Who issued the challenge?
Who is playing Entente?

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 pm

My friend acts as host, like he did for both other games.
I try to explain in detail:
He is playing entente, i started in turn one to attack serbia with CP.
He then reacts with serbia. So turn one is actually complete.
The game expects me to do the CP move now, so start turn 2. I can open the game, i see the chat screen, then i press replay Entente move.
During the replay of his turn one serbian move it crashes, i cannot do anything with CP.
Tried it 4 times now, always approx 30 seconds after i push replay game crashes.

He will visit me this evening, we will test a few things. i will try to act as host as well to double check.
other two games still continue as usual with zero crashs.

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Then your friend must have accidentally issued the challenge using vanilla CTGW or a very early version of the mod.

The crash says:

Code: Select all

game/game_events.lua:2234(global DOWserbia) game/game_events.lua:2234: attempt to concatenate field 'eventcounter' (a nil value)
This means that in script game_events.lua in line 2234 there is a call to an undefined field of the variable called "entente.luaData.eventcounter"

But in a correct installation of the mod said variable gets defined at the start of the game in line 377 of game_morale.lua

Tell your friend to have a look at line 377 of that script called game_morale.lua
The script can be found in CTGW/Data/scripts/game
it should read:

Code: Select all

entente.luaData.eventcounter = 0
If it doesn't then your friend is not using a correct installation.

Abandon that match, it's the only solution.
I will upload V11.1 this evening anyway.

Robotron

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.1! AUG1st 2020

Post by Robotron » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm

V11.1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lvz3EX ... H6rY-/view

This contains minor tweaking, corrections and some more chrome to add to flavor but no new features.
Also singleplayer vs CP AI is a bit easier now.

Please use only this version for new matches to facilitate bugfixing.

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 pm

1. Finished two MP Potzblitz games today on the 11.02 MOD. Both worked with zero crashes, very smooth.
Fantastic events and moments during game, will post AAR in other forum. Final Events also work.
Final Victory.jpg
Final Victory.jpg (318.67 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Final Victory 2.jpg
Final Victory 2.jpg (352.45 KiB) Viewed 84 times
2. After that we just used your new 11.1 MOD to start a brandnew game, we cancelled the previous one. Works just fine, i hosted it. Again zero crashs until now.

Thanks for support.

The only minor i saw was when Spain joined me, i saw the picture but the text was missing on the pop up window. But that did not really matter i knew what was happening.

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:08 am

Phew, that's good to hear.

By the way: which CP war plans were taken for both matches?

Unwichtig
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Unwichtig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:01 pm

My friend played CP Germany strikes East option (aufmarsch ost) and attacked on very first turn.
He caught me off guard with Russia, I was defending from first turn Russia joined me.
Was a little shock but I found a way to deal with it.

I took the schliefenplan with Austrian howitzers and without violating Netherlands neutrality and just build a defensive line in the east.
Took Paris 1915 and the channel ports incl. Brest and bordeaux early 1916. Then Spain joined me after I influenced them a lot.

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 pm

You won both games on the exact same turn, what a strange coincidence. :shock:

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”