"All this madness" - now is 0.99 version!

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

kirk23
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: "All this madness" - 0.9 mod version download link up no

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Sabratha, One thing I change in all my personal games is all research is available to each Country from the first turn,this is more historical.

1914.Lua SCENARIO CHANGE = ( ALL TECH RESEARCH AVAILABLE TO EACH COUNTRY FROM FIRST GAME TURN)

scenario.techCategoriesUnlocked = {}
scenario.techCategoriesUnlocked["ground"] = 1
scenario.techCategoriesUnlocked["artillery"] = 1
scenario.techCategoriesUnlocked["naval"] = 1
scenario.techCategoriesUnlocked["air"] = 1
scenario.techCategoriesUnlocked["armour"] = 1

game_events.Lua = ( ALL TECH RESEARCH AVAILABLE TO EACH COUNTRY FROM FIRST GAME TURN)

------------------------------- EVENTS ---------------------------------------

--
function TechUnlocks()
if GetEvent("TechsArtillery") == 0 then
if game.turn == 1 then
SetEvent("TechsArtillery", game.turn)
AddToReportQueue(playerAlliance, "report_TechsArtillery", "turn_report_research")
end
end
if GetEvent("TechsNaval") == 0 then
if game.turn == 1 then
SetEvent("TechsNaval", game.turn)
AddToReportQueue(playerAlliance, "report_TechsNaval", "turn_report_research")
end
end
if GetEvent("TechsAir") == 0 then
if game.turn == 1 then
SetEvent("TechsAir", game.turn)
AddToReportQueue(playerAlliance, "report_TechsAir", "turn_report_research")
end
end
if GetEvent("TechsArmour") == 0 then
if game.turn == 1 then
SetEvent("TechsArmour", game.turn)
AddToReportQueue(playerAlliance, "report_TechsArmour", "turn_report_research")
end
end
end

Turn 1 Austria has full research control from game start.jpg
Turn 1 Austria has full research control from game start.jpg (243.8 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

I'm afraid the naval AI crahs is NOT linked to the map, or at least not to 1916-1918 maps.

I ran a test, by playing the vanilla 1918 scenario, but with the 1914 map. Bug still occurs. As far as I can narrow it down, it has something to do with naval units moving around submarines.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Adding new late game tech - "Combined Arms". This will probably come into play only in late 1918 and 1919.
Its supposed to model the role in whcih the combined arms tactics of the day were used to coordinate infantry, cavalry, artillery and tanks on teh battlefield. This sort of issues came to the foreground in the Polish-Bolshevik war of 1919 and later on the Spanish civil war, but since I'm extending the timeline to 1919 I thought this could be in order.

It gives an offensive bonus, so hopefully it will depict the historical move from war of attrition to mobile warfare again.

You will need to have AT shells researched first to get this.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

I don't know about SP, however I've played quite a few MP matches since 1.64 was released and I cannot think of any one match where the game crashed from a naval bug. I'll say this with authority, that I have not had a game CTD and would not start again, or remain unplayable and that's with multiples of opponents, multiple turns everyday.. Yes, in the past CTD = end of game, that was it, not now.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

operating wrote:I don't know about SP, however I've played quite a few MP matches since 1.64 was released and I cannot think of any one match where the game crashed from a naval bug. I'll say this with authority, that I have not had a game CTD and would not start again, or remain unplayable and that's with multiples of opponents, multiple turns everyday.. Yes, in the past CTD = end of game, that was it, not now.
Hmm...
I know its certainly an ai bug. I narrowed it down to either the cost.ai file or the ai.ai file.

Howeve,r if it doesn't occur in MP at all, then its not likely something to do with convoy movements, rather with the AI moving units to engage the submarines.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Mind you, I have had opponents say their games had crashed, but never reported it to Slitherine or whatever, leaving me to believe they had another motive. I'm always there to help another player regardless of what their problem is, but I don't have the talent of someone like yourself..
DanielHerr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DanielHerr »

My experience with the AI crash was that it happened while an enemy sub was attacking my convoy.
danielherr.github.io
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

DanielHerr wrote:My experience with the AI crash was that it happened while an enemy sub was attacking my convoy.
OK, well maybe its a coincidence but I tried the 1918 scenario as the CP today and did not expirience the bug as long as I didn't move my subs. Once I sent many of them after a convoy, the bug appeared.

Also had Russian and British subs in the Baltic attack my CP convoys in the 1914 scenario and the bug never occured then.

I'm sure its NOT the 1914 ai or the 1914 map. I think it either has to do with the number of subs ganging up on a unit, or them being high tech (as in the 1917 and 1918 scenarios).

Also releasing 0.91 version of the mod. Check first post for links
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I think I was playing as the Entente and was attacked by a German sub.
danielherr.github.io
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Ok, plans for 0.92:
All the big things that are currently possible with no map editing are done, or have been tested and removed (Emergency volunterrs spawning, and sudden death - these two concepts just didn't work right).

Thus 0.92 will be just bug fixes, minor/flavor events, possible balance etc. Until the naval ai bug is fixed, I see no possibility to make the late war scenarios for my mod (cause they will crash anyways after 4-6 turns). Without "original hex owner" changing scripts or a map editor, I see no real possibility of adding further factions in, with the exception of Finland.

So yeah, now's the time to voice your opinion on the mod. What works, what doesn't work, what feels odd or out of place? Are the extra forts adding to gameplay or detracing from gameplay? Does Russia flal too easily or the opposite? West front 1914 too easy or too hard for France?

If everything is fine and dandy as it is, I may skip right to a final 1.0 version instead of 0.92.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Why do you have it on Google Drive as a zip file instead of a folder?
danielherr.github.io
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

DanielHerr wrote:Why do you have it on Google Drive as a zip file instead of a folder?
Why not? Its easier to download for people with slow connections.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

As a folder its files can be opened individually from Gdrive without downloading the whole thing. Also, when you download a folder Gdrive gives you a zip anyway.
danielherr.github.io
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

You should reword "Germany backed her ally Russia..." in the 1914 intro.
danielherr.github.io
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

DanielHerr wrote:You should reword "Germany backed her ally Russia..." in the 1914 intro.
Thanks, I guess it was in the vanilla text, as its not something I edited in any way.
Will disambiguate.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Oh, I just assumed you had also edited the historical briefing text because you modified the scenario names.
danielherr.github.io
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

DanielHerr wrote:Oh, I just assumed you had also edited the historical briefing text because you modified the scenario names.
Things like intro text editing is something I'm saving for last.
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: "All this madness" - new 0.91 mod version available!

Post by Zombo »

1. Germany will be a bit stronger. Playtesting shows a fortress at Mainz may actually serve a purpose.
Russia overall a bit weaker, but more tough troops facing Galicia than East Prussia (opposite of vanilla).
thatt's definitely a good idea. Vanilla failed to reproduce two critical episodes of 1914, the fragility of the Russain front in Prussia (it does not necessariliy have to lead to Tanneberg-like disaster, but its should , at least, be a remote possibility, which is not even the case now); the corresponding fragility of the AH in Galicia - currently it is similarly difficult to witness any king of AH collapse in that region.
Adding new late game tech - "Combined Arms". This will probably come into play only in late 1918 and 1919.
BTW, are all Techs equally researchable by both factions? Are there some kind of faction bonusses? I'm thinking of the infiltration tactics, (basically the development of specialized assault troops), which was a German specialty and was something that was somewhat contrary to Allied doctrine. Tanks, on the other hand, were not favoured by the Germans as a weapon of mass production, because of the industrial cost.

I also have a problem with leaders. Hindenburg goes systematically to the Western Front - where Moltke is still supposed to be in command - and Falkenhayn appears as a "front commander" in 1914 (if I'm not mistaken), when historically he replaced Moltke as commander -in-chief. There's a lot of confusion there. I mean, I 'm not say we have to replicate history exactly, but...
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Zombo wrote:BTW, are all Techs equally researchable by both factions? Are there some kind of faction bonusses?
No, there are no faction bonusses, every faction has to produce the same amount of research points for a given tech. The only thing you can modify is how much research points a given tech needs to be unlocked. However you can modify what techs are already unlocked or partially researched for every single faction or how many labs a faction starts with.

Also see this very detailed description by Historion: viewtopic.php?f=218&t=51430
Zombo wrote:
I also have a problem with leaders. Hindenburg goes systematically to the Western Front - where Moltke is still supposed to be in command - and Falkenhayn appears as a "front commander" in 1914 (if I'm not mistaken), when historically he replaced Moltke as commander -in-chief. There's a lot of confusion there. I mean, I 'm not say we have to replicate history exactly, but...
This is quite difficult to mod as the game offers no conditions-check on where a given commander may be placed. To prevent Hindenburg getting placed on the western front we would need a special check that would deny placing specific commanders beyond certain coordinates or map regions. And even if we had those checks we would still have to tell the AI how to manage it's commanders in those special cases.
Also there is yet no function to permanently remove commanders from the game like Moltke after getting sacked or Samsonov shooting himself after Tannenberg.

Also There is no way to include commanders from gameturn#1, you have to wait at least one turn to get your first commander on gameturn#2. However, in the 1914 scenario you could indeed include Moltke from the get-go, since germany starts on turn#3. But then you would be stuck with old Helmut for the rest of the game, as there is no way to remove him.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Zombo wrote: BTW, are all Techs equally researchable by both factions? Are there some kind of faction bonusses? I'm thinking of the infiltration tactics, (basically the development of specialized assault troops), which was a German specialty and was something that was somewhat contrary to Allied doctrine. Tanks, on the other hand, were not favoured by the Germans as a weapon of mass production, because of the industrial cost.
But that should be up to the player to decide.
danielherr.github.io

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”