"All this madness" - now is 0.99 version!

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

kirk23
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: "All this madness" - 0.9 mod version download link up no

Post by kirk23 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Sabratha The code to display hex coordinates is this.

hud:GetText("turn_text"):SetText(hex.x .. ", " .. hex.y)

Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:04 pm

kirk23 wrote:Sabratha The code to display hex coordinates is this.

hud:GetText("turn_text"):SetText(hex.x .. ", " .. hex.y)
Thanks. Please do let me know if you gtuys find any bugs, or have an idea for a good event etc.

kirk23

Post by kirk23 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:14 pm

I have just started playtesting your mod, interesting that you have Russia starting on turn 2 along with Germany etc.

DanielHerr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DanielHerr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:41 pm

How is it interesting that Russia starts on the same turn as Germany?

WW1 Timeline from Wikipedia:
July 28 - Austria declares war on Serbia.
August 1 - Germany declares war on Russia.
August 3 - Germany declares war on France.
August 4 - Germany invades Belgium and Britain declares war on Germany.

Is that or the game incorrect?
danielherr.github.io

DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:46 pm

I'm guessing the ai files are compiled Lua bytecode.

Kirk, wasn't it you who had official connections? Can you ask the devs to publish the uncompiled ai files?
danielherr.github.io

DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:53 pm

That is a lot of changes. And when you extended the game to December 1919, what code did you edit?
danielherr.github.io

Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:22 pm

DanielHerr wrote:That is a lot of changes. And when you extended the game to December 1919, what code did you edit?
This in game_victory_conditions.lua :

Code: Select all

-- Terminal condition: achieving this ends game
function TC_Deadline()
  if game.date.year == 1920 then
    return 1
  else
    return 0
  end
end
You need to change this line:
if game.date.year == 1920 then

To whatever you want to make the game end. I made it 1920, as I think dragging the game past january 1920 would require some sort of new technologies. I may do that some time in teh far future when everything else is completed and working ok.

So far extending the game even further is not my biggest priority, especially since my war weariness events and effects will make lasting to december 1919 quite a challenge. If this was steam, there'd be a challenge for lasting to december 1919 without eitehr side collapsing.
DanielHerr wrote:I'm guessing the ai files are compiled Lua bytecode.

Kirk, wasn't it you who had official connections? Can you ask the devs to publish the uncompiled ai files?
Or better yet, uncompiled map files. I would really love to edit the "original owners" of hexes, as I would very much use them with the new factions I added and it would relaly enchance the game in a significant way.

That I'm stuck with the "original hex owners" of the default scenarios is really the main issue stopping me from expanding the mod.
kirk23 wrote:I have just started playtesting your mod, interesting that you have Russia starting on turn 2 along with Germany etc.
"Not a bug, working as intended" :mrgreen:
(GOD I hated that phrase when I was making a living by testing software!!!)

I'm still fiddling with the UK declaration of war time. I was planning to make it 1 turn after Russia, France and Germany enter the war, but seems I goofed and its 2 turns after them. Guess another thing that will be fixed in 1.0

kirk23

Post by kirk23 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:52 pm

I have played up to turn 8 Entente, everything is playing extremely well, some very interesting new events,particularly the Oil Fields in Abadan, also some nice graphics changes for Russian units etc! :lol:

kirk23

Post by kirk23 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:56 pm

All the Lua bytecode files are due to be made available,how far in the future I don't know, I don't know about a map editor thou, that is something I would like to play about with as well as you guys.

Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:57 pm

kirk23 wrote:I have played up to turn 8 Entente, everything is playing extremely well, some very interesting new events,particularly the Oil Fields in Abadan, also some nice graphics changes for Russian units etc! :lol:
Abadan is both historical as well as fulfills and important gameplay purpose - supply center for British in Mesopotamia.
kirk23 wrote:

All the Lua bytecode files are due to be made available,how far in the future I don't know, I don't know about a map editor thou, that is something I would like to play about with as well as you guys.
Thanks for the info. So, if the map editor is not available, is there any event code line that could change the "original hex owner" parameter? That would be majorly usefull, as without it new factions cannot make proper use of capitals. :/

Random news:
Edited the map border using a texture from Rifificz. Thanks Rifificz!
http://rifificz.deviantart.com/art/Wood ... -195635887

On another note, I'm testing the game in the long term now (full playthrough as CP vs priviliged AI) and I do have to say the -0.4 efficiency drop after a move really does change the gameplay in a positive way. All the fronts now feel more historical and a bit more static. The impact on the Mesopotamiana nd Sinai fronts is most

kirk23

Post by kirk23 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:45 pm

Eastern Front.jpg
Eastern Front.jpg (249.91 KiB) Viewed 3350 times

0.9 Mod version thoughts!

I'm playing as Entente and I'm now up to turn 22 I think, my initial findings are,Germany is to weak,Western front is all but collapsed and Germany is getting driven back closer to Berlin on every turn, In the Eastern front, Russia is also giving Germany a very hard time of it. Might I suggest removing MP increase for Convoys, Britain Man Power is a really big advantage,in the Convoy Lua, just make that when a Convoy reaches its destination,a Country only increases PPs. Just delete the MP bonus from Convoys! I also noticed the old problem of Bulgaria not joining the war. Apart from that I'm really enjoying the scenario. :wink:

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:24 am

It's looking good!

Thanks a lot

Just one initial thought, I would make ahistorical neutral entry ( Holland, Denmark, etc)strongly dependent on the general war situation, that is, a marked disadvantage of the faction to go to war against.

The only thing from your list that I have strong reservations about, is the Grimm-Hofman event and the Soviet At. First, because I think that although there was much publicized outrage from the Western Powers, consternation within Switzerland was also great and Hofmann had to resign.
So I think that in spite of vehemently brandished threats, France was never any close to declaring war to Switzerland as a whole nation. But, mostly, because France is played by a player, declarations of war should remain the prerogative of the player. I can imagine many situations when the event triggers and the Allied player is in a situation where what he wants least is declaring war on Switzerland. I believe that to see such critical decision escape the player's control can be quite frustrating.

To some extent, Russia's declaration of war against Sweden could be included in that line of reasoning, but since in happens on the very first turn, I think it's ok (given a very small chance of happening, though)
Last edited by Zombo on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kirk23

Post by kirk23 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:37 am

Entente close in on Berlin.jpg
Entente close in on Berlin.jpg (216.87 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
Entente close in on Berlin turn 24 (1915) Game balance looks good Bitain's PP is suffering, but Britain's Manpower is always at 100% because of what she gets from all the Convoys, removing the Manpower bonus from convoys is a must have option. I must say the scenario is superb really enjoying playing it thank you! :D

Zombo

Post by Zombo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:13 am

Is it possible to do something to limit armies straying far away from their respective sphere of action? AH units in Prussia or on the Western front kinda hurt my eyes. I guess that horrors like Bulgarians fighting in Turkey are also allowed without penalties...

Robotron
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Robotron » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:44 pm

kirk23 wrote:...but Britain's Manpower is always at 100% because of what she gets from all the Convoys, removing the Manpower bonus from convoys is a must have option.
This is easy to fix via a small change in convoys.lua

See here viewtopic.php?f=102&t=66563

I modified mine to let convoys only give a fifth of their unit strength as manpower and a random amount (between 10 and 100%) of their unit strength as production points.

Code: Select all

faction:ConsumeProductionPoints(-unit.hp / math.random(1,10))
faction:ConsumeManpower(-unit.hp/20)

kirk23

Post by kirk23 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:01 pm

In my games I remove the Manpower allowance from the Convoys. I treat Britain like everyone else, I give her 1100 Manpower at scenario start or 1.1 Million men 1914 Scenario. I have never liked the idea, that Britain for example, can beam down land forces to the Suez Canal region, I personally think that any troops should be loaded on to Transports, and moved where needed, and not be instantly transported, this is WW1 and not Star Trek ( Beam Me Up Scotty ) :D

Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:03 pm

kirk23 wrote:Just delete the MP bonus from Convoys!
Good catch, will do.
kirk23 wrote:I also noticed the old problem of Bulgaria not joining the war. Apart from that I'm really enjoying the scenario. :wink:
Will be resolved as well.
Germany is to weak
Duly noted, will be looked into. I was thinking of adding an industrial area in Silesia (Kattowitz etc), perhaps it would be a good notion to do so and add some PP to Germany in that form. Its right by the Russian border, so that should prevent it from being too OP.

Playing as CP vs priviliged AI and the fronts come out *roughly* historical as of Feb 2015. Some extra German advances in the Reims area and the Flanders coast has been cleared of Entente forces, but otherwise familiar WW1 trench warfare. British stuck just outside Basra and in the Sinai. Serbians about to be forced out of Skopje. Will see how it evolves in the long run
kirk23 wrote:In my games I remove the Manpower allowance from the Convoys. I treat Britain like everyone else, I give her 1100 Manpower at scenario start or 1.1 Million men 1914 Scenario. I have never liked the idea, that Britain for example, can beam down land forces to the Suez Canal region, I personally think that any troops should be loaded on to Transports, and moved where needed, and not be instantly transported, this is WW1 and not Star Trek ( Beam Me Up Scotty ) :D
Yeah me too. I would be able to resolve this very fast by just changing the "original hex owner" of hexes in Egypt or Libya to prevent this from occuring. (and have just "Indian" troops arrive by the Red Sea by map edge as can already happen). Still, unless changing original hex owners becomes possible, we are pretty much stuck.

Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Zombo wrote:Just one initial thought, I would make ahistorical neutral entry ( Holland, Denmark, etc)strongly dependent on the general war situation, that is, a marked disadvantage of the faction to go to war against.

The only thing from your list that I have strong reservations about, is the Grimm-Hofman event and the Soviet At. First, because I think that although there was much publicized outrage from the Western Powers, consternation within Switzerland was also great and Hofmann had to resign.
So I think that in spite of vehemently brandished threats, France was never any close to declaring war to Switzerland as a whole nation. But, mostly, because France is played by a player, declarations of war should remain the prerogative of the player. I can imagine many situations when the event triggers and the Allied player is in a situation where what he wants least is declaring war on Switzerland. I believe that to see such critical decision escape the player's control can be quite frustrating.

To some extent, Russia's declaration of war against Sweden could be included in that line of reasoning, but since in happens on the very first turn, I think it's ok (given a very small chance of happening, though)
Dennmark will not enter the war unless someone invades it. There was no historical grounds for me to allow that to happen.

Switzerland, kind of a different story. Both Germany and France had old war plans to invade Switzerland and in fact some hawks in France were suggesting to follow up with these for some time.

And yeah... I'd ratehr have events wher ethe player gets to choose from several options, but the game doesn't allow for this so far :(
Russia... the Russian navy was simply 100% certain that no matter what, Sweden will join the war on the German side. So the Russian attack plan was a "hit them first before they hit us". Fortunately for Russia, its political leaders had more sense in them than the admirality.

Zombo

Post by Zombo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Is there any written indication in the game that your mod is active? I just want to be sure I'm actually playing with it

EDIT: it's running, the AH are blue :-)

kirk23

Post by kirk23 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:43 pm

I forgot to mention that on the Western Front, Germany never captured Brussels, and trench warfare never really took hold, Germany was really easy to push back. The old problem of the AI using Aircraft & Artillery in the front line, I think played a major part in this, Aircraft & Artillery should never be on the front line, but the stupid AI does it all the time. :roll:

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”