CP attacks on Convoys

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Jimbonsx
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

CP attacks on Convoys

Post by Jimbonsx » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:07 am

I'm a little worried about the effect of CP attacks on EC convoys, with regard to the effect on American entry into the war.

From my reading on the subject there was a substantial outcry (I'm English, we do understatement rather well...) from victim nations when any power interdicted merchant shipping, but the biggest protests were against unrestricted submarine warfare. Germany announced its intentions to wage it, was quite successful, outcry, Germany retracted the policy, Germany then reinstated it, eventually the USA declared war citing it. The Royal Navy's Northern Patrol did upset its victims but nothing like on the scale that Germany achieved through its U-boat attacks and the SMS Emden - in its attacks on merchant shipping at least - took pains to ensure that the merchant crews were treated humanely, both whilst on their original vessels and in the manner of their capture.

My experience of this in CTGW is that the manner of shipping point losses seems immaterial as far as morale/public sentiment is concerned, and I think this should be corrected if possible. Most of my games as the CP (vs AI) involve extended Atlantic cruises with the surface fleet. I use U-boats as spotters and surface fleet units as the killers as they're quicker at doing it. Result: my U-boats get the rap for the surface fleet endeavours.

In game terms it's ok, because if I have such a preponderance of naval superiority it means that the British and French will be in serious trouble economically speaking, from the loss of their convoys, so I could probably force the issue and get surrenders before US troops appear.

I don't really know how to address the situation except perhaps to make the EC navies a bit more aggressive with regards to convoy protection. Perhaps distinguishing between surface and submarine-inflicted convoy losses would help (and I do appreciate that the CP surface navy in the North Atlantic would not be able to operate as the Emden did in the Far East).

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: CP attacks on Convoys

Post by Robotron » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Seperating convoy lossed caused by surface raiders from losses caused by submarines should be easy to achieve.

Here's how to do it yourself assuming you have a WINDOWS Version 1.6.4 installed.

Go to this folder: "Slitherine\Commander the Great War\game\scripts\game" and open the file game_events.lua in any editor which is able to assign numbers to the code's lines (such as Notepad++, a freeware tool)

Backup the file, renaming it, just in case for backup purposes (you never know).

Look at line 276 of the code of "game_events.lua", it should read:

Code: Select all

if defender.prototype ~= nil and defender.prototype.name == "convoy" then
Then copy the following code and paste it into line 276 of the original "game_events.lua" file, replacing the line of code there with this here:

if defender.prototype ~= nil and attacker.prototype.name == "submarine" and defender.prototype.name == "convoy" then 
Save the changes.

This should work (I guess). :)

Jimbonsx
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Jimbonsx » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try - might be a while before a response given the time needed to get to that point in the campaign!

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Whoops, the correct line of code should of course read:

if attacker.faction.alliance.id == 2 and attacker.prototype.name == "submarine" then
and should be copypasted into line 277 not 276....my bad... :oops:

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”