old Potzblitz thread (discontinued)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

kirk23
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: POTZBLITZ: a mod for CTGW UPDATE V2.1

Post by kirk23 »

The hardest part to modding the game, I found was trying to please everyone else, and after almost 2 years of trying both officially and unofficially, to improve the game,with the hope of making the game better for everyone. My advice to you Robotron, is make the game the way you personally are happy with. Because as soon as it becomes a chore, and a burden, you quickly lose heart, and put the game on the back burner, until it draws you back, because you know deep down, that the developers,left an unfinished game,and that its true potential is still waiting to be realised, so please continue with your excellent work on modding the game, but be a little bit more selfish, use your knowledge,of tweaking the game, that please's you!The bottom line is, I have learned that you can't please everyone, so just please yourself, because I know from past experience, the work and time required to modd the game is astronomical and while I was heavily involved with the game, it very nearly cost me my marriage, because I hardly had any time, left to see to her needs and wants, because the game was so time consuming.
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

ok, i shouldnt mix mp bad visions with ai game, which is working fine
(i guess its balanced quite well, i help my campaign a lot by sinking navies, else it would last longer, anyway it lasts half of available turns which is much better than vanillas 1/10)

kirk is right, im pleased with your mod, now its working smoothly, maybe just typhus could be less deadly, i like underdogs as serbians or turks for guerilla warfare
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :D

I've took new heart and will continue to improve this thing...V2.2 coming up soon. 8)
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Robotron, I just noticed that you have removed Cuxhaven from the map, and replaced it with Emden! Having Wilhelshaven and Emden together, will cause a crash to the game, because a City hex can't have 2 adjacent ports in close prox, the AI does not know which port belongs to what City.

Over at the Matrix forum I discussed close proximity ports with Lucas one of the games designers, 3 years ago, and he explained why 2 adjacent Cities can't share a port hex, see thread discussion below.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3250499

NB: I recommend moving the port at Emden from hex 93, 19 to 92, 19 that should solve any future City conflicts!
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Thanks for the heads up, kirk!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Robotron, I noticed the game crashes if you want to play the video introduction to the 1914-18 . You can solve this crash by, copying the 1914-18 Video file, and rename it potzblitz

Now gamer's can watch the intro video without the crash issue.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Thanks for noticing kirk, I never bothered watching that intro clip again after the first time, so I completely forgot about that detail. :oops:

But I once made a YT clip that would fit the subject matter quite nicely. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PrRM3lrcQc
Andreh
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Andreh »

I hadnt tried this yet, as Im in the middle of a PzC campaign, but after reading this thread Im itching to give CTGW another try, after not loading it for forever.

Robotron, I feel your burden, I was involved with successful and failed mods before, know the amount of time and heart put in something like this, and it seems you are doing a terrific job. You and nehi lloks like Xavier and Magneto to me :mrgreen: I am amazed as you guys have so divergent visions and yet the conversation had been so civilized.
If last century the world leaders were so competent we wouldnt had had WWI after all.

Keep up the great work, and hope nehi keeps pushing you to improve the mod even more :wink:
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Xavier vs Magneto...I laughed so hard when I read that...great comparison, made my day! :D

Hope you enjoy the mod.
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

how can i trigger the von essen event?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The Von Essen event will trigger either

A) automatically if Russia launches the turn 4 "Surprise attack" (which in itself has a 1 in 6 chance and is cancelled if the "German Redeploy" event (20% chance) has triggered on turn 2)

or

B) with a one-time 10% chance if Russia declares war as usual on turn 5.

You cannot influence the chances for the Von Essen event to happen. Would you like to? Then make a suggestion how. :)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Right now I'm testing the new 2.2 update which will have the following changes:

- Serbian Typhoid event toned down at the cost of Serbian cities losing some PPs, will start with more PPs at the start to compensate, as CP singleplayer vs Entente AI general Putnik will be available from the start
- French general Lanrezac will be dismissed sooner
- German subs in Atlantic will count towards breaking the British blockade
- French General Serrail being available for the Allied Army of the Orient or at the Salonika Front
- ALL (not only German and AH) factions will get their first Flying Ace upon having researched "Armed Aircraft" tech and balancing of Fighter-Techs rescripted
- tanks got upgraded so they are at least somewhat powerful to make them worth researching, especially for Britain
- Entente AI in Egypt rescripted, should put up a decent fight now
- all nations will start to collapse sooner via "collapse points"-gameplay mechanic
- Russian Entente AI told to go easier on the Caucasus (again!)
- Romania and Portugal will enter the war sooner
- major event bugfixes and re-balancing....again (sorry guys, but this is very time-consuming, so it will probably be not the last time)

and more stuff I can't remember right now.

If you have any proposals about what should be changed or included, let me know, so I can put these into the update.

Stay tuned! 8)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Included the possibility to earn "Tech-Breakthroughs" by adding a second lab to any tech class thus making additional labs worthwhile at all. ^^

New french cities Amiens and Reims and shifting of PP in France and Italy to make the AI defend France longer. As of now the AI seems to be bent on defending the fronts with the best mixture of terrain bonusses and valuable cities but I still don't have a proper clue at how and where this is computed in detail, so bear with me.

New events:
- AH can transfer it's starting artillery to the German Western Front deployment zone, resulting in the "305mm siege mortar" event to smash Liege in 1 shot, using up all of AHs ammo.
- "Ersatz" surrogate foodstuffs can help to mitigate the German Famines
- Russian Minister of War Polivanov can help the Russian supply crisis
- chance of accidently sinking of neutral vessels other than the US
- US economic help to the Entente before war entry
- British blockade might anger neutrals
- cavalry suffering additional losses vs nations with "industrial warfare" tech
- Hughes elected instead of Wilson
- desertions in Turkey
- border war with Mexico might hinder US war effort, also "Zimmermann Telegram" event may then accelerate US war entry
- German Battlecruisers placed in the North Sea might conduct raids on British coastal cities on their own (at a very, very small risk of getting sunk, according to Entente's naval strength in North Sea)
- more misc. stuff!

I'm also confident I might have found a way to make options available for events like in "Hearts of Iron", Civ4 or "WW1 Gold" for example:

"Germany has begun the attack on Verdun. Do you want to

A) launch a counterattack at the Somme
B) concentrate on defending Verdun
C) both
D) neither, just give me some extra production points"

Wow, this is going to get really interesting (at least for me!). :D

Also I plan to do a "final summary" page detailing all the casualities, kills, conquered cities and discovered techs to give a final score instead of simply going back to the title screen via the "Final event" which I find totally unsatisfying. But this might take a while.

Cheers! :wink:
nehi

Post by nehi »

options are great, i loved ww1 gold for that, even its ai is maybe worse or the worst, in that game serbs could beat all cp alone :lol:
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

I love this mod and you´re making it even better with these updates
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Options for events and Victory Score Summary Page will take a bit longer, but I hope to be able to upload the V2.2 this weekend. :)
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

i have a suggestion
a event where turkey calls for jihad,it should improve turkish morale increase and temporary buff ottoman troops
nehi

Post by nehi »

watch out for erdogans jihad instead of calling for another one 8)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The Jihad event already exists but is only rarely triggered. Conditions for Jihad:

- Abadan was occupied by the Brits
. Kuwait has revolted
- Tabriz has been occupied
- New Zealand Corps landed in Egypt

and Turkey STILL not at war (which can happen if the Brits have delivered their BB or Goeben Battlecruiser failed to reach Constantinople before the Dardanelles close). It will raise Turkish morale and make Persia more likely to join CP.

But thanks for the suggustion, I will add a slight combat bonus for the first months and other stuff to the event.
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

Keep up the good work, this mod has really resuscitated the game for me and my gaming community, we're having a lot of fun.

(BTW, could you remind me how exactly does the Tannenberg event work?)

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”