old Potzblitz thread (discontinued)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ mod Update V3.4 (DEC 11th)

Post by nehi »

tralala43 wrote:Also, when I wanted to run the game through engine it said something about encrypted files. So I run it through the d3d exe.
1.30 here, if u want to go step by step
http://www.filedropper.com/commanderthe ... pdate-v130
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

When will 4.0 come out?
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Moreau wrote:When will 4.0 come out?
When it's finished. But seriously: I just don't know, maybe in a few weeks, maybe in a few months, only safe thing to say is I won't be able to get it finished this month. Sorry about that but it's a massive amount of work and sometimes I'm not even sure if it's worth the hassle at all but It would be a shame to just cancel the project at this stage. Good things take time.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

New changes made:

- As long as Italy is neutral its alignment will randomly swing every turn to either CP or Entente with an equal chance of 50% for each. The magnitude of each swing in either direction will start at 1 for both alliances and increase for both individually depending on the course of the war, events and promises of territorial gains made by the alliances. This will make the exact time of Italian war entry more unpredictable while still rewarding the winning or more generous alliance with a reliable probability of getting Italy to join its side.

- included possibility to use diplo points to prevent factions from "going red" due to unfavourable balance of PP between alliances (like Bulgaria).

- most events have been permanently switched off from happening automatically or at random. Instead players will have to trigger them by using diplo points.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

Most events?... I was re-reading the list, and most events actually don't seem to be justifiable as effects of diplomacy...
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Well, if you can come up with a better label than "Diplomacy" for the button that will trigger the "choose an event" procedure, feel free to suggest one.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Well, beyond terminology issues, I was wondering how appropriate it would be to give players the power to choose certain events

dunno, like, the Lusitania, the French Army mutinies, the food crises, Russian mobilization delayed, neutral convoys sunk, and so on

For a number of other events, i agree that it makes sense though
nehi

Post by nehi »

policy?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

While it might not always make sense in a strictly logical way (in some cases) I want to give the players a certain chance to trigger good events for themselves and bad stuff to the enemy at certain stages of the game.

It will be a new sub-game with players having to decide when to spend their diplomatic points on events or to influence other factions. Will you spend your diplo points now for a single draw of events, resulting in a low chance to get the one you want or save them until later for multiple draws and a higher chance but risking the window of opportunity has closed? With every diplomatic action (drawing events, influencing neutrals etc.) getting more expensive than the last one, players will soon be unable to use diplomacy actions every turn.

CP will get a head-start at the critical opening stage with more and better options at their disposal. Their early successes will also net them bonus diplo points.

Both alliances will have their own pool of events (about 90 for each alliance) to draw from with new events getting unlocked or discarded as the game progresses.
The events available are those of the moderate kind: severe stuff like the "Hunger Winter", "Russian Supply Crisis" or "Spanish Flu" won't be included.
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

TBH i support this new system,its add way more options to play around with and every playthrough wont be the same usual stuff
Great work Robotron
and by the way,do you think we could get the great war channel to play your mod or give it some publicity?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Moreau wrote:and by the way,do you think we could get the great war channel to play your mod or give it some publicity?
You mean Indy Neidell's channel on YT? I don't think they would be interested in featuring games since they have enough to do with their own schedule. I don't know what it would take to get those guys persuaded to feature one's stuff (besides a working mod in the first place) . ;)

Another thing: If you guys have any suggestions for new multiple choice events or for adding choices to existing events please feel free to flesh out your ideas and post the conditions and effects for each choice option (two choices would be ideal). I've too much on my hands right now with all that scripting to come up with any ideas.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Hi Robotron

I don't remember all the changes that the new version promises, but I just finished a game with the current version, and one thing that stands out as seriously inadequate is British PP. You end up not knowing what to do with them, really - getting the historical close-to-exhausted British army in 1918 is completely impossible. I know you have delayed infantry production till Industrial Warfare is developed, which is a most welcome change, but I was wondering if there was any planned correction of British PP as a whole. Same as with French, by 1915 the British end up way ahead of the Germans in technology.
One contributing factor is the difficulty the hurt the British convoys with the U-boots. Germany hardly has any production left to build a decent U-boot fleet ( not to mention the few ships that were historically built as well) and they lose a lot of time returning to a friendly port to upgrade via Scotland ( through the channel is inviting suicide) and I kinda struggle to really get how it works. U-Boots in ambush along convoy lines often fail to see anything.
I have to run a few tests.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Zombo: Please be more elaborate. Was it singleplayer or multiplayer? When and how did the game end?

Anyway, I'll reduce British war effort so Britain will be at 100% at christmas 1914 in multiplayer or singleplayer vs CP. Additionally I've edited the French convoy and two of the British convoys so that they will be spawned with a random amount of cargo (up to 50% less).
With the introduction of the "endurance" system for naval units I'll lower submarine cost to 15 to compensate (subs will have a quickretreat feature too), this should make submarine warfare more attractive.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

I only play multiplayer

game ended in end 1916 with the Allies smashing through the Western front and unstoppable. Too much artillery, ammo, high tech planes, French infantry on steroids due to super high infantry tech

u-boots failed to have any significant impact on the flow of PP the British benefited from

East front a slugfest, Germany reconquered 3/4 of Poland, painfully. i remember you finding my suggestion of using a form of random trench decay for Russian hex a good idea - I really think it would help

British abused amphibious landings against the Turks. It shouldn't be that easy to multiply landings, it was acollossal undertaking, although I don't quite see in game terms how to do that properly.

There is also one play-optimization that helps the Allies but is quite unrealistic: the division of tech research. French focus on infantry and air (they provide the majority of land troops) and neglect arty (don't build any) , British focus on Arty and Tanks and neglect air (the French build the air force). So they end up with very large technological disparities in every field. Which is a little strange.

Your suggested changes should help a lot!
(maybe also seriously reducing the "green naval zone" bonus vs submarines could be useful to help those subs transit through the Channel as they historically did )
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Zombo wrote: British abused amphibious landings against the Turks. It shouldn't be that easy to multiply landings, it was acollossal undertaking, although I don't quite see in game terms how to do that properly.
Maybe allow Turkey to build subs then? Extend sea mines to the Eastern Med ?
Zombo wrote: There is also one play-optimization that helps the Allies but is quite unrealistic: the division of tech research. French focus on infantry and air (they provide the majority of land troops) and neglect arty (don't build any) , British focus on Arty and Tanks and neglect air (the French build the air force). So they end up with very large technological disparities in every field. Which is a little strange.
Got any suggestions?
Zombo wrote: (maybe also seriously reducing the "green naval zone" bonus vs submarines could be useful to help those subs transit through the Channel as they historically did )
Okeydokey.

In other news:
Here's the setup for the (rather hypothetical) "War Plan Rupprecht": a choice event (you have to pick it before Germany enters the war) that allows for a neutral Belgium (unless the Entente player decides to attack Belgium). Since Belgium neutrality was not broken, Britain will take longer to enter the war (they will find a reason to join sooner or later in 1915). The attack to outflank the French will go through Switzerland instead of Belgium (good luck with that!) and Moltke will be replaced by Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria.
Let's hear your opinions (besides this being a somewhat questionable attack plan).
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Maybe allow Turkey to build subs then? Extend sea mines to the Eastern Med ?
In my opinion, none. I don't remember if you approved of my idea of "coastal batteries" (damage to fleets bombarding cities/fortresses - higher damage if fortresses) would help as it would make seaborne invasions less easy and thus less tempting.
Got any suggestions?
I don't know if it's moddable, but ideally each French/British lab should provide own nation with 2/3 of the research points, and the allied nation with the remaining 1/3. So no loss globally but the tech gap between allies would be reduced.

German War Plans:

I'm not convinced the no-Belgium option should automatically imply an attack through Switzerland. It should be an "option within the option". Attacking through Switzerland kinda totally defeats the idea of a surprise flank attack: Belgium is flat and is to move across, Switzerland is ... not... flat... So why not if a player wants to try, but not obligatory.

I was also thinking of the possibility of an "East first plan" with Moltke/main striking force in the East and a defensive stance on the West.

Also, why not an "original von Schlieffen" with a stronger right wing at the expense of the left-wing and ( for a substantial cost in "diplomatic"/fate points) a Von-S himself not dead in 1913 conducting the assault ( decent chance of dying in 1914 - higher in 1915, dead by 1916)

Options:

just a few ideas pell-mell:

The unrestricted/restricted sub warfare comes as an obvious "choice" option.

Maybe Zimmermann telegram: choice (fate points cost) NOT to send it, but a small chance of stirring trouble on the Mexican border if you do.

also (hypothetical): widespread fraternisations on the East front once the revolutionary process begins or even between french/British and Germans on the West front as a sequel of the french mutinies (all this of course if morale is correspondingly low)

Attaque à outrance: automatic at start (it was THE doctrine of the French army) but option to cancel it earlier (after X losses) for a cost

Higher chance for the Germans to get that Fokker even I have rarely seen it and Germans generally are behind allies in air tech, should be the opposite in early war

Option Goeben /East Asia squadron in Germany when war starts

A Bruchmuller event to give the Germans some arty tech points (arty is generally a lesser priority for the Germans resulting in them being behind as well, which is not particularly historical)

Allied choice to research Infiltration tech (historically not compatible with allied doctrine)
Moreau
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Moreau »

its true that britain gets to much pp through its convoy,same can be said about france in a smaller degree
maybe decrease their pp through convoys or make convoys more vunerable? because in real life the brits where exhausted by 1918 and the french by 1917
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Maybe making the French suffer more (PP-wise, Morale-wise) for the land lost to the Germans
This would balance the no-Belgium invasion options: the Germans get a much smaller front to defend vs the Allies but face a much stronger France

Also, British could have less Pop available

Another important thing, in my opinion: penalize Italians (effectiveness) fighting in Serbia if the whole of Italy is not Italian-controlled. It's not very difficult (in multiplayer) for the Allies to prevent the Serbian collapse in 1915. If Serbia holds by the time the Italians come in, Italy has such a short front to man, that it can send a good number of troops into Serbia (and unlike the French/British, they are just next to it) and make things very complicated for the AH.
Italian irredentism would not be in favour of wasting offensive power on non-Italian front.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Moreau wrote:its true that britain gets to much pp through its convoy,same can be said about france in a smaller degree
maybe decrease their pp through convoys or make convoys more vunerable? because in real life the brits where exhausted by 1918 and the french by 1917
Already done: Entente convoys will spawn with up to 50% less cargo in MP and SP vs CP.

@Zombo:

coastal batteries: already included!

Russian entrenchment decrease: finally included by popular demand! ;)

Optional attack on Switzerland when going Warplan Rupprecht: included. In fact the restriction to "manually" declare war on anyone within the first 5 turns got removed.

Stronger right wing when going Schlieffen: added one extra infantry at hex coordinates: 90,24. Schlieffen himself won't be included though since by that time he was a strategist/planner not an actual field commander and quite old.

Raised upgrade cost for "industrialized warfare" tech (+4D) from +2 to +5, which favors Germany since it already starts with the tech.

Attaque a outrance will be playable by CP before their attack in France stalls.

Fokker will be included in the "choose an event" pool for CP as soon as Entente has researched "armed aircraft".

Send Goeben/Breslau to reinforce SouthEastAsia Squadron: very interesting idea, might lead to a delay for the North Sea blockade getting established since more British naval units might be redirected to hunt down the now enhanced SouthEastAsia squadron.

French PP loss due to Germany occupying hexes with vital industry in Northeastern France included (there was some sizeable heavy industry there after all).

Italy transports to Serbia: Adriatic will be mined (and while I'm at it Black Sea too) and Austria will gain some free subs by event.
Zombo wrote: A Bruchmuller event to give the Germans some arty tech points (arty is generally a lesser priority for the Germans resulting in them being behind as well, which is not particularly historical)
Not sure what you mean. Do you want a second Bruchmuller event besides the one already present? If so at which point in the game?
Zombo wrote: Allied choice to research Infiltration tech (historically not compatible with allied doctrine)
If you are suggesting to deny Entente nations researching said tech: sorry, but it's not possible to exclude specific factions from specific techs within a tech line: it's an all-or-nothing affair.

Thanks a lot for the comments, glad to hear you guys still show interest and patience.
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

whoops misclicked while editing last post, sorry.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”