Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Unwichtig
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: NEW UPDATE 11.1! AUG1st 2020

Post by Unwichtig »

Hi,

just had a quicklook regarding Finland. Just a thought, nor really important but would be an option to include a free finisch army for CP.
They did indeed support CP with troops under prussian command - however, i am not an expert about this. Just read the wiki article, i ll have a closer look now.
Maybe thats an option how finland can actually be helpfull for CP instead of just "collecting PP for no purpose".

I know you are busy, i just wanted to "save my thought" somewhere before i forget it.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnische_J%C3%A4ger
mrdozer2379
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mrdozer2379 »

so my game with thorland as entente keeps crashing when I try to use the diplomacy event option but I can use intel
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

I can only help you if you can provide to me the ctgw.log file.
This file contains important information concerning why the game crashed.

This ctgw.log can be found in your Documents folder, so look in "My Documents\My Games\Commander The Great War".

NOTE: This log is overwritten every time you restart the game.
Please make a copy of the log right after the crash.
Do NOT RESTART the game before you've made that copy right after the crash.

Put that ctgw.log into a .zip archive and attach it to your post using the forum's "upload attachment" feature.
You can find the upload button in the bottom left corner of the reply box after you click on "full editor and preview".

Alternatively you can just open the ctgw.log with a standard text editor, scroll down to the end & mark the last few lines at the end and use copy/paste.
Paste those last few lines with the "error" message in your next forum reply, usually this holds enough information to fix a bug.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Here's an AAR from one of my recent matches vs. Unwichtig using Potzblitz mod, alas no pictures but I gave my best to deliver a good story. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=102055&p=887201#p887201
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
mrdozer2379
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mrdozer2379 »

[*][*]thankyou for the help and here is the file
Attachments
ctgw.rar
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@mrdozer: I can see from the crash report that your game vs. thorland must have been started with V11.0 and was most likely updated during the match to V11.1, which is problematic.

Never update a match that is already in progress or the wheels will come off! ;)

The reason for this is that the starting data in V11.0 is different to V11.1.

I'm sorry but you must quit the match vs. thorland. Further matches will be fine.

If you are sure you did NOT update the match while the match was already in progress then give me a note.
mrdozer2379
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mrdozer2379 »

it wasnt me. I just got thorland into this mod. So I would have to assume he did that by accident.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@mrdozer: The logfile does not specify who opened the challenge but I need to know just to be sure: was it you or thorland?
mrdozer2379
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mrdozer2379 »

it was thorland as i havent changed my game except my profile pic from the issue i had earlier
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Okay, thanks for for the info, seems to confirm my assumption then about one player having an outdated version, in this case thorland because he started the challenge.

Anyway, that game with thorland can't be fixed because of said issue, either one of you must surrender.

Thorland must update his game to V11.1 before starting new challenges.

Maybe you can message him in the ingame chat-box about this before surrendering, just in case he's not reading the forum.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I hope to finish V12 in the very near future (before Christmas) and here are some changes that will be implemented, besides the all-new Russian Civil War expansion (wich will be MASSIVE):

1. Single player mode: before players were only able to choose CP (german) warplan when playing Entente. In V12 this will also be available when playing CP.
2. German Schlieffen-Plan event will always succeed if chosen either at the start of the game in singleplayer or during the game in multiplayer. Had small chance of failing up to now.
3. Choosing "historical modified Schlieffen plan" in singleplayer will give the Central Powers +2 diplomatic points
4. All major nation get +200 manpower because manpower tends to get used up too fast
5. Troop quality loss caused by manpower loss will kick in at "yellow" stage, reducing troop quality to 9. Before quality loss started at "orange" state, reducing troop quality to 8.
6. "Women Workforce" events effect reduced by 50%, e.g. if you have 10 ammo factories only +5 PP and +5 ammo will be produced per turn, instead of +10 each
7. Zeppelins won't consume any ammo
8. Bomber planes will consume 2 instead of 3 ammo
9. Submarines will suffer combat penalties vs Light Cruisers starting with "Depth Charge" tech and for each anti-sub tech researched thereafter
10. Submarine ambushes (moving a naval unit into a hex with an invisible submarine) will require a failed D1000 check vs the affected enemy naval unit's experience value to be successful
11. Air aces will come into play later and will require "air kills" to unlock. If you wonder why "air kills" are suddenly required it's because they now work correctly.
12. US starting forces are a bit toned down
13. The Arab port of Yanbu is moved a bit away from the Muslim holy city of Medina to discourage early British amphibious landings that would make the later Arabian Revolt event superfluous.
14. Ottomans get more PP so they don't go broke right after joining the war
15. Italy gets more PP from 2 new cities: Bari (4PP) & Ancona(3PP). There will also be a new event for the Austrian fleet to bombard the Italian Adriatic coast within a short time after Italian DOW.
16. Germany will have a lowered chance to go starving in 1915 with help of "Pig Murder" event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweinemord
17. Finland may revolt against Russia: this event was already present but is now more worked out and easier to trigger, especially after the February Revolution
18. Britain gets quite a bit more production in V12: new cities of Manchester (7PP) & Sheffield (6PP)
19. If the Entente player missed playing the "North Sea Blockade" event early in the game, it has a rising chance to trigger automatically from 1915 on
20. British ability to produce Army Corps might come earlier or be delayed a bit: no longer will it suffice to only research "Industrial Warfare" tech.

Instead Britain will now have to play the "Pals Battalions" event before Britain is able to produce Army Corps.
That "Pals Battalions" will be put into the Entente event pool if either:

"Industrial Warfare" tech is researched
or "Canadian Corps" was played
or "Australian Newzealand Corps" was played.

It may also trigger randomly on its own with rising chance if either one of the prerequisites is met.

Comments are welcome.
Last edited by Robotron on Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gallean
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Gallean »

Later British army corps may make the fall of France even easier!?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

My explanation was misleading, I will rephrase it:

British ability to produce Army Corps might come earlier or be delayed a bit: no longer will it suffice to only research "Industrial Warfare" tech.

Instead Britain will now have to play the "Pals Battalions" event before Britain is able to produce Army Corps.

That "Pals Battalions" event will be put into the Entente event pool if:

either "Industrial Warfare" tech is researched
or
"Canadian Corps" was played
or
"Australian Newzealand Corps" was played.

It may also trigger randomly on its own with rising chance for each of the conditions met.
To be exact: the % chance for triggering randomly is double the number of current game turn for each met condition.
LepetitKipetchi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by LepetitKipetchi »

Hi,

That's a nice AAR, it seems that you had a great game :)

A lot of changes are coming, that's so cool, I agree all of them (just hope that the western front will be tenable at the beginning of the war for Entente) and I really like these events for Finland and the Austrian navy !

I also have a personnal idea for the next update : I am from north of France and at the beginning of the XIX century, it was one of the main industrial places in France (something like the German Ruhr equivalent I think : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord-Pas_ ... ning_Basin). So maybe you could create a city at the Belgium border which could be an interesting objective fot both side to conquer as it was in the reality ?
If you appreciate my idea, could you call this city "Douai" (my home town) ? It was one the main citys of the mining bassin (the English wikipedia page is not so developped so you can go on the French one and translate it if you are interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douai) :)

Also, I had a bug in my last game, I attached you the file. If you could have a look it would be awesome :wink:

I am not very available for a multiplayer game but I can try if someone is interested ?

Cheers,
Attachments
AutoSaveEndTurn.rar
(157.88 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Lepetitkipetchi: I've tried out your autosave but could not reproduce the crash. :|

Please try the new V11.2 update to see if the crash persists:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17tknQJ ... pXKrN/view

If the crash shows up again, then I need the ctgw.log because else I might need to replay your autosave maybe dozens of times until the bug you described shows up, and I don't want to do that because it's very time consuming. Just continue your match and when the bug shows up, make a copy of the ctgw.log

The ctgw.log can be found in your Documents folder, so look in "My Documents\My Games\Commander The Great War".

NOTE: This log is overwritten every time you restart the game.
Please make a copy of the log right after the crash.
Do NOT RESTART the game before you've made that copy right after the crash.

Put that ctgw.log into a .zip archive and attach it to your post using the forum's "upload attachment" feature.

About your proposal for a French industrial center near the Belgian border:

I've already implemented something that represents that important industrial region getting occupied by Germany: for every French hex captured by Germany, the French war effort will be lowered by 1%, which represents French industrial areas lost. So if for example Germany occupies 10 French hexes, France will only produce 90% of her total of all production from all cities.
From 1915 on lost French war effort starts to rebuild by 1D6 (1 to 6) % per month representing French industry getting rebuilt and relocated elsewhere in France.

There really is no space left for a new city to place in that area without overcrowding the area. I could move Reims 1 hex further south and place Douai at X:85Y:27 but the PP (maybe around 15) would need to be subtracted from other cities in France because I believe France has already enough production. Also Douai would likely be captured early by the Germans anyway, so all PP would be lost early, damaging French morale even more than now. I'm not sure that this would be better than the method already used in the game that I described above.
Question to other players: would you like to see a French high production city (15+ PP) near the Belgian border at the cost of lower production in the rest of France?

By the way: there are not many events for France in my mod, but I find it difficult to find more ideas. Maybe you have some?

Salute!
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unwichtig

Post by Unwichtig »

@lepetitkipetchi: Welcome! Always nice to see new players here as this game is already a few years old. So its good to see that new players still coming in to join the club.
Yes, i am open for a MP. I am a little busy right now due to work so my moves might take a little longer but i always finish any game. if you have patience, we can play.

@ronbotron: All new events and changes for the V12 mod are fantastic. No need to discuss them anymore, most of them seem to be lessons learned from our recent game and i entirely agree with all of them. Fantastic work. Also the two new events - Finnland revolution and austrian bombardment of italian coastline are adding some new strategic aspects to the game. Very nice.

Two additional aspects:

1. New french city in northern france with high PP: Hmmm, i like the idea but i have some concerns...
a) If the major french PP city is "easy to conquer" for germany...the germans will always do it. Which is why i am afraid that this would be the new "centre of gravity" for any german action. Probably this would make the entire Schlieffenplan much, much more important as it could smash the french economy in turn 1 or 2. Many players would go for it. Even the Aufmarsch Ost plan would become less attractive if you know you can smash French economy in one move instead.
b) In addition, i do not think that france would have a realistic chance to defend it anyway if CP chooses the Schlieffen.
Basically, France caught offguard = Key PP city lost.
The combination of these two events would break the French neck.
c) IF the city is added, this would open up a few options for new french events.
I can think about nice solutions, but i guess they would be to complicated to add in the mod. How about adding the city, but once conquered one or two new french events are added:
"Rebuild French Industry in southern france" (-50 Manpower, - 1 French Trainmove during this turn. Effect: Mediterranian french cities double their PP) AND
"Rebuild French Industry in Western France" (-50 Manpower, - Seamove during this turn. Effect: Atlantic french cities double their PP).
This would put the "secret stuff you programmed" regarding the french economy into a more visible, event based setting.
I think that would be okay, especially as the french could decide where to rebuild their economy. West or south. Or both, but loosing two event-turns then which delays other important events. Would be a new game dynamic.

2. A potential additional french event: Yes, i have one. What is currently missing, is the extremely high importance of the Elsass-Lothringen province for french morale. After Germany took the province it from france 1871, is was a constant "pain" for the french to see a part of their country being controlled by germans for half a century. Actually it became common school education to teach the french pupils that the area must be "liberated" one day. it was a national objective to get it back.
It was the focus to maintain and increase french morale, create anti german feelings and even plan counter offensives to get it back.
The importance of this region is not covered in an event yet.
Few options:
a) I am thinking about an equal event that could be compared to the "autrian siege howitzers for germany", in this case just for france. An event that adds additional attack bonus on german fortresses of strassburg and metz. This would allow France to do a counteroffensive instead of just being stuck all the time.
And it would force CP to pay some more attention to this area.
b) If french moral is low, a propaganda campaign could also be an event. Something like "National Campaign: Liberate Alsace-Loraine" (Which could increase french morale by 15 as its always low once germans are on french soil. In addition, extra Ammo and an extra Artillery gun could be unlocked and added to french player).

Please see this good article regarding my suggestion, it literally "screams out for a Potzblitz event":
https://rear-view-mirror.com/2014/11/16 ... -lorraine/

Whatever, i think there is room for an event that leads to french offensive action i re-capture the province.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I'll add a "move-event" that triggers when French units move on German hexes, boosting French morale.
Until the "Attaque a outrance" triggers, French units in the Alsace-Lorraine region will also have a +5 combat bonus, being the equivalent of a "Wave of Patriotism" event for multiple turns.
However I doubt it will be of much significance beyond pure "flavor" because any Entente player worth his salt will most likely withdraw his troops to stop the Germans from getting to Paris.
On the other hand "flavor" is what makes this mod different from comparable games about WW1 ;)
Gallean

Post by Gallean »

I have a problem- I played "Aufmarsch Ost", but did not remember the objectives. I searched the pdf manual, but can not find the exact card event to read it again? Do I miss it somehow? On what page from the manual it should be? What happens if I do not get my objectives?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I'll add the description to the manual next time. Here's the victory conditions:

"Either Warsaw, Riga and Vilna OR Warsaw and either one of Kiev or Minsk must be taken in 1914 before onset of winter"

So possible victory conditions are:

Warsaw + Vilna + Riga

or Warsaw + Minsk

or Warsaw + Kiev

Failing to do so until winter results in 2 collapse points to both Germany and Austria, loss of 15 morale and shifts Italy 10 points further to joining Entente.

I'm not entirely happy with the Warsaw+Minsk and Warsaw+Kiev conditions, they seem too difficult to achieve realistically so I'm open to alternative suggestions.
trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster »

This mod looks amazing for content and gameplay.

However, when clicking "launch" after selecting podzblitz in the game start menu, it crashes and goes back to windows after a couple of seconds. Can the issue be a major use of memory?

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”