mods

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

mods

Post by Tulius Hostilius »

Hi!

I am new at the Forum and relatively new to Slitherine games, although an old Wargamer, both on computer and tabletop.

I bought recently “Commander: The Great War”, and played two 1941 campaigns by the two sides, in balanced difficulty. Won with Entente quite easily… same can’t say with the Central Powers campaign.

But I wan to mod/use mods and I am a bit lost here.

Has anything like this been made/tested:

Albania doesn’t belong to Servia at the beginning of the Game?
Montenegro was added?
New units introduced? (saw a destroyer unit here in he forum, but I was thinking in subdivisions of Infantry, like Colonial Infantry – less effective, and Mountain Infantry…)

And

Worldwide Map? It would be interesting to conquer/defend the German colonies.

Is there a central site o donwload the mods, or they are all here in the Forum?

I would apreciate any tip. Thanks.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: mods

Post by Robotron »

Hi and welcome to the forums,

I'm the creator of the only mod that is still actively developed (albeit after a half year's hiatus) for CTGW called "PotzBlitz". You might like to read the opening posts of the two PotzBlitz threads (early and newer version) to learn about changes made to the basic game.
It's also quite easy to install, you just have to copy and paste a single folder.

Regarding your questions:

1. Albania as a separate nation was at least planned for the basic game at some stage during early development, as national flags are included within the game.
You can also still see the very thin Albanian/Serbian border on the map if you look closely.
But then developers decided to remove Albania and have her join together with Serbia, maybe because of the nation's small size which did not warrant an extra nation for gameplay reasons.
However it would be perfectly manageable to re-introduce Albania as a separate nation to the game if so desired. However this would weaken Serbia quite a bit.
Same with Montenegro but in that case we'd first have to create graphics for national banners in varying sizes, unit roundels and other stuff.

2. Only new unit created is the Battlecruiser, with almost the firepower and armor of a dreadnought and almost the speed of a light cruiser.

3. Sadly no new maps are possible since all the map data is "hard set" into the map file which can't be edited by any means.

4. All the mods for CTGW are to be found here in the Mods& Scenario design subforum. There were at least 2 other mods I'm aware of made by Sabratha and Daniel Herr but they are no longer supported (but instead were assimilated into PotzBlitz by me).

Cheers.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: mods

Post by Tulius Hostilius »

Robotron wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 pm Hi and welcome to the forums,

I'm the creator of the only mod that is still actively developed (albeit after a half year's hiatus) for CTGW called "PotzBlitz". You might like to read the opening posts of the two PotzBlitz threads (early and newer version) to learn about changes made to the basic game.
It's also quite easy to install, you just have to copy and paste a single folder.

Regarding your questions:

1. Albania as a separate nation was at least planned for the basic game at some stage during early development, as national flags are included within the game.
You can also still see the very thin Albanian/Serbian border on the map if you look closely.
But then developers decided to remove Albania and have her join together with Serbia, maybe because of the nation's small size which did not warrant an extra nation for gameplay reasons.
However it would be perfectly manageable to re-introduce Albania as a separate nation to the game if so desired. However this would weaken Serbia quite a bit.
Same with Montenegro but in that case we'd first have to create graphics for national banners in varying sizes, unit roundels and other stuff.

2. Only new unit created is the Battlecruiser, with almost the firepower and armor of a dreadnought and almost the speed of a light cruiser.

3. Sadly no new maps are possible since all the map data is "hard set" into the map file which can't be edited by any means.

4. All the mods for CTGW are to be found here in the Mods& Scenario design subforum. There were at least 2 other mods I'm aware of made by Sabratha and Daniel Herr but they are no longer supported (but instead were assimilated into PotzBlitz by me).

Cheers.

Hi Robotron and thanks for the quick answer and the welcome.

Meanwhile I was already in the process of installing/using your mod. But didn’t commented it, since I hadn’t an opinion. Now, let me congratulate you for it, still didn’t really played a campaign but already tried it for some turns. Congratulations it is overwhelming and with a professional DLC look.

Also saw the Battlecruiser. Seems a good positive addition. Thumbs up! Also saw there and in a thread that you introduced the experience. It was odd that the game didn’t had it like the “Panzer General” series in which seems much inspired. Thumbs up, again! And the introduction of new cities/fortress… and many other things.

I confess that what “scared” me was the complexity of the changes. Still have a learning curve there.

About:

1. I took a look to the files, so I saw Albania’s flag as well as others (Egypt, Morocco, Red Finland…), as well as the borders, but it bothers me that Albania belongs to Servia. Another City in Servia could compensate in game terms the loss of Tirana. Anyway Servia is in the best position to conquer it, as in some way did historically to some parts. Montenegro would be more a curiosity, a Garrison unit and not much more. Eventually removing a Garrison unit to Servia to compensate in game terms.

2. Creating new units seems relatively easy. The problem would be with good icons. I draw pixelized paper soldiers (to print), but I am not good enough with Photoshop to make new figures in this style. Anyway Colonial Infantry (African, Indian…) would be picturesque and interesting, as well as Mountain Inf. By the way, I don’t like the designation “Garrison”, 2nd line or Reserve Infantry would be more adequate as I already saw in a post here.

3. Sad! Sad! Sad!

4. Thanks. Even with a good mod it seems that the community didn’t took much farther that step like in other games. I know Slitherine for a short time (Vietnam 65, Afghanistan 11….) but for now it seems that they aren’t much in allowing their games to be modded.

In short, thanks. I will have still to experience your mod… but sometime I like to mod just for the futile pleasure of modding.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”