Introducing new units

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Introducing new units

Post by Tulius Hostilius » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:37 pm

I noticed that we can “only” add two more units to the production chart, but the game has (more) units that can’t be produced (“outdated units”), such has the pre-dreadnaught and the armoured cruiser (and I am not sure about the Arab units, but they are different).

That means that among the great powers we can introduce new unique historical units that later in the game can’t be reproduced. That would be interesting (in my perspective) to introduce unique Infantry and cavalry units, without interfering much to the game balance: Cossack cavalry, Hussars, Mountain Infantry (even if it seems that the game engine can’t provide them advantage in Mountains, at least didn’t found it yet)… etc…

So basically we would need graphics (unit icons) and some changes in a couple of files.

Or am I wrong?

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Introducing new units

Post by Robotron » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Yup, the hardest part would be the unit graphics which will have to be following the general "look" of the rest of the units or they'd stand out in a way that diminishes immersion.

Advantages of new units can be modded in via the combat script, so that's not a problem.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War on steroids: POTZBLITZ mod!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610

Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Introducing new units

Post by Tulius Hostilius » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:58 am

Robotron wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:23 pm
Yup, the hardest part would be the unit graphics which will have to be following the general "look" of the rest of the units or they'd stand out in a way that diminishes immersion.

Advantages of new units can be modded in via the combat script, so that's not a problem.

Hmmm, I don’t work well with Photoshop, although I draw pixelized paper soldiers (I post them on Deviantart. Publicity: http://tuliushostilius.deviantart.com/), but the style is completely different and it would be needed to change all the icons for worst… and they are too many.

But, for the meanwhile, the Ottoman uniform is quite similar to the French Colonials, and the Austrian to the German Mountains troops, some slight changes could do the trick (see file in the bottom, German uniform, Austrian headgear, it just took me a couple of minutes to test, even if I messed with the transparency).

The developer already made some suspicious things: For instance the Persian uniform seems quite similar, if not equal, to the French, since they use a generic graphic. Don’t think that is historical, even if I don’t know the Persian uniform for the time period.
Attachments
testing.rar
test
(379.46 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”