Game flashes at start up and cant stop, Have to reboot machi

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

studabakahawk
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Game flashes at start up and cant stop, Have to reboot machi

Post by studabakahawk »

I was running this game just fone on amd 3780 machine with 390x gpu wih 16 gig of ram.
Now I have new Ryzen r5 1600 with GTX 1060 6 gig gpu and 16 gig coarsair 3200 lpx vengeance memory and this game will not run.
On start up it will just Flash and not stop, I cant even shut off game or steam in Task Master, I have to reboot.
Running Win 10 pro 64 bit .
I am Veteran of Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader and many other Great Board games. Thia ia the game I hoped to find when I built my first computer in 1990. Can you help me get past this glitch Please
joelockwood
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Game flashes at start up and cant stop, Have to reboot m

Post by joelockwood »

I had same problem after upgrading my Windows 10 to the Creator Update. I tried a bunch of different things and eventually solved it by changing the \Documents\My Games\BA2 Options.txt file.
I changed the Fullscreen option from 1 to 0. (that is a zero not an "o"). I then loaded fine.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Check that the rezx and rezy values in the options.txt file match with a resolution your video card can do in fullscreen. Some video card software can allow for non-standard desktop resolutions which confuses the initial run.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
khill9702
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by khill9702 »

I am having a similar problem since Windows also did the creator update to my machine which has annoyed me to no end. I know for certain this is what broke the game because I played it before windows updated itself and it worked fine. Thanks Microsoft for breaking one of my favorite games for your stupid features I will never use.

In my case, the load bar after I click skirmish or a campaign only goes about 3/4 way and freezes. I have tried quite a few things, such as deleting the options file as you have recommended Pip and what joelockwood recommended and still no use.

Oh and Studabakahawk, I thought I had to reboot each time as well when I had my issue but it may save you sometime if you just Ctl-Alt-Del and then just sign out of windows as opposed to a full shut down. This could save you some time while you try and troubleshoot this glitch.

Here is my error file;

VER:10004
PLATFORM: WINDOWS
CPU String: GenuineIntel
Stepping ID = 3
Model = 14
Family = 6
Extended model = 5
CLFLUSH cache line size = 64
APIC Physical ID = 2
CPU Brand String: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Cache Size = 256K
UNKNOWN TAGS IN: CONFIG/SYSTEM.TXT
Unknown Tag: MOVIEMODE
Unknown Tag: DYNAMICENV
Unknown Tag: LAYOUTKILLSENEMYX,
END: CONFIG/SYSTEM.TXT
Found DirectX Version Number: 4.09.00.0904
Creating Device.....
MonkeyInitStart
MIS: Found DD
MIS: IsHW
MIS: SetCoop
MIS: Setting Disp Mode
MIS: Done Init 3D Device
MIS: Tex Enum
MIS: SDRS
MIS: Init Decal Render
TS: Start
TS: IAPSent
TS: UILoaded
INITIAL LOAD 3310
TS: BattleObj
TS: Managers
TS: BFBB
TS: LT
TS: InitDLUI
TS: Messages
TS: Ended

Any help Pip you can give me here or anyone else would be most appreciated. I love this game. Thank you.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Try the following:

1. Uninstall and reinstall the game in a different folder than "C:\Program Files (x86)\...". Install it in for example in "C:\Games\...."

2. Open the game installation folder. Locate and select a file named "BA".exe". Press the right mouse button and select Properties.
Click on the Compatibility tab. Tick the option Run this program as an administrator.
Click on Apply and Ok.

3. Rename "BA2" folder as "_BA2" in your Windows "...\Documents\My Games" folder.
khill9702
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by khill9702 »

Hey VPaulus,

Your fix worked for me! Thank you. Hopefully it helps others who have had difficulties after the Windows Creator Update.

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”