Repressive fire questions

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

divi8
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Repressive fire questions

Post by divi8 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:14 am

I will try this without google translate.

What is the difference between aiming fire and repressive fire? With repressive fire you can't see the unit but can kill this unit if the morale drops below -100 ((routed). I guess thats right?
So, with repressive fire there is no possibility to kill a unit other than rout that unit?

In defensive scenarios I often set my units in hold fire. How can you know if the enemy (AI) uses repressive fire on your units or aiming fire? How do you know in defensive situations if a unit is spotted or not? And if you put a unit after firing again in hold fire setting, does that unit become invisible again for the opponent?

Just one more thing, what is a good tactic for defensive missions?

Kind regards,

Tac2i
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Repressive fire questions

Post by Tac2i » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Re "with repressive fire there is no possibility to kill a unit other than rout that unit?" I think this is correct.

Re "How do you know in defensive situations if a unit is spotted or not? And if you put a unit after firing again in hold fire setting, does that unit become invisible again for the opponent?" Good question. I have a similar question. Once spotted are you always spotted until to get out of line of sight. Say an infantry spots your tank in the open and an enemy tanks fires on you from 8 tiles away. You kill the spotting infantry, say with artillery, can that enemy tank 8 tiles aways still see you in his next turn (or turn after that) as you are now outside his view range and the spotter is dead?

Re "what is a good tactic for defensive missions?" Primary key is knowledge of the terrain (likely routes of enemy advance) and enemy location. Always try to spot the enemy and keep them spotted. Ambush his armor with infantry if possible. Fire and move. The AI will try to return massive fire on a tile it suspects if received fire from. Don't try to defend everywhere. Have your infantry operate in pairs if possible so if an enemy infantry moves adjacent you have a good chance to suppress or kill them. If you have artillery/mortars use it against soft targets unless you have the Hummel/Wespe which can suppress armor most times.
divi8 wrote:I will try this without google translate.

What is the difference between aiming fire and repressive fire? With repressive fire you can't see the unit but can kill this unit if the morale drops below -100 ((routed). I guess thats right?
So, with repressive fire there is no possibility to kill a unit other than rout that unit?

In defensive scenarios I often set my units in hold fire. How can you know if the enemy (AI) uses repressive fire on your units or aiming fire? How do you know in defensive situations if a unit is spotted or not? And if you put a unit after firing again in hold fire setting, does that unit become invisible again for the opponent?

Just one more thing, what is a good tactic for defensive missions?

Kind regards,

best75
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by best75 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:59 am

There is a chance to kill enemy units using repressive fire

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 am

Suppressing fire is useful if you have been ambushed but cant see where the enemy is exactly. Sometimes you can work it out by process of elimination. It can inflict casualties but has much less chance. It is really intended to force them to keep their heads down and allow other units to approach and take them out at close quarters.

divi8

Post by divi8 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 am

IainMcNeil wrote:Suppressing fire is useful if you have been ambushed but cant see where the enemy is exactly. Sometimes you can work it out by process of elimination. It can inflict casualties but has much less chance. It is really intended to force them to keep their heads down and allow other units to approach and take them out at close quarters.
I recall that in a offensive mission I kept using repressing fire at a cover place, but when I approached with infantry, the unit in that cover place returned fire anyway.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Depending on the cover, your fire can be a lot less effective. If you want to be sure, you need to pile on a lot of suppression, esp for elite troops with higher morale.

In terms of hold fire, hold fire is automatically cancelled if the enemy can see you IIRC :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by jcb989 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:48 am

divi8 wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:Suppressing fire is useful if you have been ambushed but cant see where the enemy is exactly. Sometimes you can work it out by process of elimination. It can inflict casualties but has much less chance. It is really intended to force them to keep their heads down and allow other units to approach and take them out at close quarters.
I recall that in a offensive mission I kept using repressing fire at a cover place, but when I approached with infantry, the unit in that cover place returned fire anyway.
Their morale must be forced below 50 in order for them not to return fire. Although a suppressed Armor is allowed a (one) shot in return fire even if below 50 morale..

Getting a unit below 50 can be tricky if you cannot see the unit you are firing at :D
However if you have your sound effects turned on, you will hear their tell-tale cowering cries

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”