Need challenging BA2 campaign advise please

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Need challenging BA2 campaign advise please

Post by lhughes » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 pm

So I like the latest engine. However while I found BA campaigns generally quite challenging (for example the Arnhem campaign defeated me) I generally found the Barbarossa campaign very easy. If I was careful and went slowly I finished with plenty of time and no real threat of a loss. Not even on the last. I am hoping that some of the other BA2 campaigns are significantly more challenging (and yes I played at the highest challenge level). Can anyone suggest a challenging BA2 campaign please?
Note I am not bragging, the game could beat me in BA. I just want something that challenging in BA 2. :)

IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Need challenging BA2 campaign advise please

Post by IronFist00 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:36 am

The campaigns ramp up in difficulty so Barbarossa was the easiest, Winter Offensive slightly more challenging. I'm not sure if you have a preference for which side to play but the last two campaigns have some tough missions in them, especially if you go for all the Achievements.

Try the Third Battle of Kharkov while trying to do all the Achievements and see how you find that.

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lhughes » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Thank you IronFist. Just the kind of input I needed. Kharkov will be the next I try.

MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:31 am

The achievements really add an element of difficulty. Don't know if you've tried accomplishing all of those. I actually found Kharkov easier than Barbarossa to be honest, but to each their own.

IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 am

My favorite Barbarossa mission was "The Pocket" when going for the Achievements. Their diversity makes it a fun mission imo and winning without losing a single tank really dictates how you play. My friend and I find ourselves doing this one repeatedly. In co-op it is an even bigger challenge.

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lhughes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks for further input. Yes generally I go for the achievements. Can't remember how well I did on those for the pocket. Hmm... Kharkov easier.. ack!

Presumably they will make Kursk tough for the Germans!

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:30 pm

IronFist wrote:My favorite Barbarossa mission was "The Pocket" when going for the Achievements. Their diversity makes it a fun mission imo and winning without losing a single tank really dictates how you play. My friend and I find ourselves doing this one repeatedly. In co-op it is an even bigger challenge.
Barbarossa is filled with outstanding missions.

The mission design between BA1 and BA2 is noticeably improved. A good mix of fun and challenge. I also dont feel rushed with the missions, like I did with a few BA1 missions.

peterjfrigate
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by peterjfrigate » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:50 am

Try playing for <5 losses and no saving allowed - you have to play straight through.

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lhughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:59 am

Thanks Peter. Iron man mode!
My ideal would still be simply a campaign more challenging than Barbarossa as in the original BA. However doesn't seem any clear consensus on what would be harder.
I agree BTW the missions in Barbarossa were interesting and well designed from a narrative/novelty/history standpoint.

JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Hello All,

Personally I find most German missions easier, whereas I struggle to do the Soviet ones - the Germans must just suit my playstyle.

If you find anything too easy, then unfortunately we need to make the game easy enough for beginners to playthrough, yet a challenge to veterans. Hopefully you'll find Kursk to be a step up, and the core carryover also adds an element to it. And if you find those too easy, then you could always use the resources from the forums to mod the game or the editor to make your own scenarios. (In the time between trying to cause casualties at the Siege of Bristol in P&S or the Soviet 2nd campaign in BA2, I'm always modding Spartan to add some extra elements to still keep it interesting.)

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lhughes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks Joe. Maybe the Soviets then. Remember I am no super expert. I found many of the original BA ones pretty challenging. I understand bringing new players in. Maybe you design for a spectrum of campaigns where there is an easy "Barbarossa" but then gets harder. Then more people are satisfied (I won't say everyone ;-p )

It's just slightly frustrating because I want the new engine with the old campaigns in terms of difficulty. But maybe the Soviet will fit the ticket :-)
What is interesting here is it sounds like there was a conscious decision to make some campaigns easier then before. Good idea to bring new players in, just keep the Vets happy too with some harder campaigns :-)

JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Hello LHughes,

Hopefully as you go through the campaigns you will see they do get harder. And if you still find it too easy, then the game is easy to Mod. Although I've not personally tried it, the data for the game is kept in a spreadsheet, so you could lower the stats of the side you are playing, to make them weaker. and I'm sure that some of the current user campaigns may bring a higher difficulty for the veterans or there will be mods/user scenarios over time that are harder.

I haven't personally tried modding BA2, but it looks like it is just changing the squads spreadsheet to change the data, so you could just lower the HE skill for the Tiger 1 for example, and this would affect all Tiger 1s attacks (HE is used in the calculations for all attacks, whereas the AP attacks are only used vs armour), but the Modding forum/community will be able to advise on the specifics. (Modding Spartan is my current project so modding the BA2 engine won't happen till after I've got Spartan set up the way I want it.)

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lhughes » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:51 pm

I will proceed then on assumption that each later campaign is harder.

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lhughes » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:38 am

Trying out the new Kursk campaign (German), delighted to say I am getting my fanny handed to my one first scenario of the campaign :-) Started well enough but now being cut to ribbons!

lhughes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lhughes » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:42 am

Also delighted to see an apparent improvement in the AI. The enemy AI actually guessed at where I retreated and took suppressive fire shots. Pretty cool. Never seen that before. And I lost. But I feel I could have won with more care. Well done designers!

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”