Battle Academy Ends?

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Battle Academy Ends?

Post by jomni »

Is this true?
Slitherine stops internal development. Meaning it's the end of the line for BA series and the engine?
http://www.wargamer.com/Article/10196
makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Battle Academy Ends?

Post by makigono1 »

Uh, that stinks. I hope that if Slithering is not going to continue to develop it internally, that it will be given to someone else to do so. "There are so many battles yet to fight."
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Yes l was hoping for a 3rd party to pick this one up.
vicco
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vicco »

Hope we can get a response from Ian on this.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

RBS of Pike and Shot replied. He said the old dev team will concentrate on supporting the 3rd party devs. It is good for those titles like P&S and Hell but the status of BA is still unclear.
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adraeth »

If it is true, i think it is a bad strategy, Battle Academy 2 is a fine tuned engine, i strongly believe that Western theatre like Normandy, Italy and Africa .... and more Pacific (with chinese, japanese, anzac ...) would sell well.
I am happy for 3rd party using BA engine ... so i hope for more P&S and for something napoleonic or "age of rifles" .... but i would not suggest to forget BA at all.
irwinbrown
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by irwinbrown »

Pretty devastating news - I'm still watching and waiting for my Stalingrad and Berlin expansions!
MacD2013
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MacD2013 »

I hope to the all mighty this isn't true. I don't know how you walk away from a game like BA2...its a classic with more money to be made on it with expansions. Like Irwin said, no Stalingrad would be a travesty.
khill9702
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by khill9702 »

Why would you discontinue your best and most popular game series and one that still has plenty of room for expansions that people are willing to pay for?
irwinbrown

Post by irwinbrown »

Have to say it doesn't look great - someone from Slitherine is usually pretty quick to jump into a discussion like this. Maybe there are still decisions to be made ...
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

irwinbrown wrote:Have to say it doesn't look great - someone from Slitherine is usually pretty quick to jump into a discussion like this. Maybe there are still decisions to be made ...
Probably searching for a 3rd party to continue to BA series.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

irwinbrown wrote:Pretty devastating news - I'm still watching and waiting for my Stalingrad and Berlin expansions!
Isn't the latest add on made by a 3rd party? Aramis?
irwinbrown

Post by irwinbrown »

I hope so. I'll cry if I don't get to play Stalingrad.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Hi guys. As has been said over in the P&S forums, it's pretty much business as usual. We are continuing to support the STUB engine going forward, and it is the basis for the new Archon engine too.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
irwinbrown

Post by irwinbrown »

Cool, thanks Pip. You ready to drop any hints on when to expect the next BA2 expansion?
vicco

Post by vicco »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Hi guys. As has been said over in the P&S forums, it's pretty much business as usual. We are continuing to support the STUB engine going forward, and it is the basis for the new Archon engine too.

Cheers

Pip
Great news! Although there are calls for BA2 expansions in the Eastern, Western & Pacific front, I hope you include in the plans an expansion for the Middle East especially for '60s & '70s. :P
bobk
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by bobk »

Agree with vicco, a modern age version would be great!
makigono1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by makigono1 »

vicco wrote:Great news! Although there are calls for BA2 expansions in the Eastern, Western & Pacific front, I hope you include in the plans an expansion for the Middle East especially for '60s & '70s. :P
Indeed, well perhaps they will farm said development out? I mean, the game, as it stands now, can do everything from the later period of World War One to say, Suez with units and artwork, in my opinion. To take it into the 1970's you'd need to model helicopters, but really nothing else. That is to say, simulating any of the conflicts in that period would be a matter of new units and artwork, but no other different types of units. Heck if you could model helicopters, you can take it all the way into the early 1990's.
irwinbrown

Post by irwinbrown »

Now you're talking ... Red Storm on the BA engine, here we come!
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

Seriously, i strongly believe that this kind of engine (and the new one) is excellent for many games, so slitherine should expand it for BA and for other games.

I am old ... i played Steel panthers, battles of napoleon and so on ....and only now .... after 15 years .... maybe 20 .... i can play with a game that offers to open it, click just two or three times to have a beatiful skirmish with randon maps and very good AI .... so keep it, expand it ... do not starve this engine and "go west" for BA (and maybe go modern combat :D )

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”