Why won't Militia throw explosive charges?

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

PoorOldSpike
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Why won't Militia throw explosive charges?

Post by PoorOldSpike » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 am

Look, my Russian Militia unit in the house hasn't been in combat yet and is fresh and fullstrength (5) with maximum morale (75), plenty of available shots and has an explosive charge.
A Stug trundles up, but when I order the Militia to attack it, the only option that comes up is the 'Assault" option at suicidal 10% odds!
But they're quite happy to throw their charge at trucks and light AA wagons etc, it's only armoured units that they won't throw at.

Paul59
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Why won't Militia throw explosive charges?

Post by Paul59 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Strange, I can confirm that this happens for me too, but do not know why.
Last edited by Paul59 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Okay, a few test scenarios have enabled me to track down this mystery.

The reason why the Militia cannot fire at an Armoured Target is that they have not been given grenades (column AJ) in the Squads.csv file. They have AP Charges, that is why you see the AP icon on their unit card, but no grenades! They are the only unit in the game that has AP charges, but no grenades. This maybe intentional, I don't know what the designers thoughts were on this.

TT Mod Creator

PoorOldSpike
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by PoorOldSpike » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:21 am

Paul59 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 pm
The reason why the Militia cannot fire at an Armoured Target is that they have not been given grenades (column AJ) in the Squads.csv file. They have AP Charges, that is why you see the AP icon on their unit card, but no grenades! They are the only unit in the game that has AP charges, but no grenades. This maybe intentional, I don't know what the designers thoughts were on this.
A possible clue is that historically Militia were not regular troops so might have been issued only with a weaker-type of AP charge which was effective only against non-armoured vehicles (as I've seen happen during gameplay).
The Militia stats below might offer a clue but at the moment I can't see one, and in fact some stats seem to muddy the waters even more; for example what on earth does 'AP Attack 15-72' mean?

"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second, think or sink"- PoorOldSpike

Paul59

Post by Paul59 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 am

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:21 am
Paul59 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 pm
A possible clue is that historically Militia were not regular troops so might have been issued only with a weaker-type of AP charge which was effective only against non-armoured vehicles (as I've seen happen during gameplay).
The Militia stats below might offer a clue but at the moment I can't see one, and in fact some stats seem to muddy the waters even more; for example what on earth does 'AP Attack 15-72' mean?
I really don't know if this is intentional, or an error. Interestingly the Soviet Partisans, another poorly equipped unit, have no AP Charges but do have grenades, and they cannot assault or shoot at armoured targets. I don't know why there would be a difference in equipment and/or training/experience that would justify a difference between the two units.

I always assumed that the infantry's ability to fire at adjacent armoured targets reflected any close range anti armour weapons that they may have in the squad; grenades, molotov cocktails, rifle grenades, improvised bundles of grenades, dog mines (!), panzerfausts (for late war Germans) etc. I don't see why the Militia would not have some of these weapons (but not the Panzerfausts obviously!).

The values that you see "in game" on the unit card are the same values that are entered in the Squads.csv file. The AP Attack values, I believe, are the minimum and maximum attack values against an armoured target that the game uses to determine the result of an attack. I do not know how these values are derived.

There is a Master_Squads spreadsheet in the games Data folder. It seems to be some sort of working sheet, which the designers have used to determine unit values. There is a tab in that which details a comprehensive list of weapons and their data, it includes the AP Attack values, but confusingly they are different to the values that are actually used in game. I only discovered this Master_Squads spreadsheet a couple of days ago, and have not got my head around it yet, so maybe there is more to be learned from it.

TT Mod Creator

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”