France 1940 Skirmish Mod released!

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

France 1940 Skirmish Mod released!

Post by Paul59 »

This is a Skirmish Generator Mod for battles between German and French forces in invasion of France in 1940. I have also included the British 1940 units, in case anyone wants to make 1940 scenarios with both British and French units, but the British are not enabled for the Skirmish Generator and will not show up.

French and German units included in the Skirmish Generator:

German Infantry
German flamethrower
German engineer
German mg34
German mortar
37mm AT gun
Stug A
88mm
8rad
German truck
Panzer III
PanzerIV D
Sdkfz251 halftrack
German paratrooper
German Scout
Waffen SS
German mg42
Panzer II
Sturmpanzer
French Infantry
French MG
Renault FT17
Char Bis
R35
Somua 35
French 25mm AT Gun
French Lorry
French Mortar
French Engineer
French Hotchkiss MG
Corps Francs
French Boyes AT Rifle
Sau40
Sdkfz 10/4
Berliet VPH
French Scout
Lorraine 38
PanzerjagerI
German Panzerbusche
Panhard P178
Schneider P16
Panzer I
FLAK 30
SDKFZ 222
German sniper
French sniper
French 75
German para mg34
German para scout
German para mortar
Pz38tE
15cm Artillery
6RAD
PanzerIV A
French 155mm Howitzer

These are mostly straight from Battle Academy 1, apart from the French 155mm Howitzer and some of the German units, which are modder created units. Many thanks to the original designers for these.

I have added the French Breguet 693 ground attack plane from Battle Academy and given the French a fighter plane by reskinning the Mig-3 into a Dewoitine D.520.

I have given the British a fighter plane by converting the Hurricane ground attack plane into a fighter, it is also still available as a ground attack plane.

There is a FRANCE terrain pack included which you can select. It uses the western European houses from BA1.

How to install

The mod is available for download within the game using the Download Community Scenarios button.

How to use

Open BA2 and select "Skirmish" from the main menu. Click the "Advanced" button in the middle of the screen. Click "Use Default Data" in the bottom right of the screen. This will bring up a list of campaigns and mods that you have installed, so select "West Front British Skirmish 1.1". Then just select your Skirmish preferences in the normal way and click "Create".

This mod also includes the Improved Engineer Mod by Amaris:

http://amaris-games.com/ba-amaris/improved-engineer/

Engineers, including Engineer vehicles such as the Soviet PT34 and US Sherman Rhino, can now use the following new functions:

Add Tank Traps: Select Engineer unit. Right click and select "ADD TANK TRAP" icon.

Remove Tank Traps: Move Engineer unit into Tank Trap Tile. Right click and select "REMOVE TANK TRAP" icon.

Cut hedgerows: To use, start the Engineer unit adjacent to a hedgerow and right click on the other side, select "CUT HEDGE".

Burn High Vegetation: Move Engineer unit into a High Vegetation Tile. Right click and select "BURN" icon.

Destroy Bridge: To use, start the Engineer unit adjacent to a destroyable bridge, and right click on the bridge tile, select "BLOW UP".

Remove Wire: This option is redundant in Skirmish games because the Skirmish generator does not place any wire.

Add Minefield: To use, start the Engineer unit adjacent to a tile you want to mine, and right click on that tile, select "ADD MINEFIELD".

All these actions uses up all the Engineer unit's APs for the turn.

For more instructions and screenshots, see Amaris' page above. Note that I have not added the "Add Pontoon Bridge" function, as it was not working properly in this mod.

The AI does not appear to use these Engineering functions, so it is up to the player if he wants to use these or not. Some may feel that it gives the player an unfair advantage, so just don't use them.

Engineers retain their vanilla abilities of laying smoke and clearing minefields etc.

Enjoy!

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: France 1940 Skirmish Mod released!

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Very cool :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Nice!
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

This looks excellent, thanks Paul for another excellent mod.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Very Nice, Paul! Well done.
Fluffi
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Fluffi »

Great to see the French finally get their debut in this game!
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Very nice Paul59! Another great mod. I'm not usually one who makes mod requests and I believe you are really busy helping out on new DLC's with FOC2(?), but sometime in the future would it be a stretch to do a WW1 mod? Not sure how difficult or practical this request is, but it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)
Cheers
Alex
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 pm Very nice Paul59! Another great mod. I'm not usually one who makes mod requests and I believe you are really busy helping out on new DLC's with FOC2(?), but sometime in the future would it be a stretch to do a WW1 mod? Not sure how difficult or practical this request is, but it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)
Cheers
Alex
I suppose it is possible, Tim1966 did a few WW1 scenarios for Battle Academy and it would be easy enough to bring those units into BA2. There might be a few problems with a WW1 Skirmish mod though; there aren't many units on each side so there would be big problems with the random unit selection, and realistic terrain generation for the west front would also be a huge problem, getting trench lines to stretch across the map would be very difficult.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Paul59 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:07 pm
AlexDetrojan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 pm Very nice Paul59! Another great mod. I'm not usually one who makes mod requests and I believe you are really busy helping out on new DLC's with FOC2(?), but sometime in the future would it be a stretch to do a WW1 mod? Not sure how difficult or practical this request is, but it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)
Cheers
Alex
I suppose it is possible, Tim1966 did a few WW1 scenarios for Battle Academy and it would be easy enough to bring those units into BA2. There might be a few problems with a WW1 Skirmish mod though; there aren't many units on each side so there would be big problems with the random unit selection, and realistic terrain generation for the west front would also be a huge problem, getting trench lines to stretch across the map would be very difficult.
Gotcha. Well it was worth a try, thanks.
Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

Cheers
Alex
Well, as far as I'm aware it's more than possible to do a WWI mod based around either the Eastern Front (where there was very little to no trench warfare so to speak), or have it set during the 1917-1918 stage of the war where mobile warfare was eventually making a comeback. Of course there is that issue with very limited unit variety, but even if the case is true regarding vehicles, I'm sure it's somewhat possible to make use of the infantry models to great effect like you did with the Spanish Civil War add-on.

Like you said though, trying to do WWI will likely be difficult in that the setting itself is rather restrictive as to what can be used, but I wouldn't consider it off the table by any means. At the same time though, I'd say it'd take you a lot longer than the previous skirmish mods simply because of the issues you've mentioned before. I guess in this context, a WWI mod for the game would be considered "possible, but not priority" in comparison to other ideas.
Turtler
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Turtler »

One logical place to look for WWI era mods would be the Russian Civil War and its wider conflicts. I mean, armored trains would be hard to work- especially in a skirmish generator- but you could have something like Germans v. Bolsheviks in-say- Latvia or Estonia without much in the way of drastically changed infantry assets. And that might be a useful shift into it.

But in any case, thanks for keeping this alive. I aregularly check here now to see if something new has come out, and I still adore the WWI scenarios for the old BA. You botrh deserve to take several bows.

(Now, Britissh v German skirmish in 1940 module when? : P )
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Turtler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 pm
You have that already with the West Front British Skirmish mod!

"This is a Skirmish Generator Mod for battles between German and British forces in Western Europe from 1940 to 1945."

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Turtler

Post by Turtler »

Paul59 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:01 pm

"This is a Skirmish Generator Mod for battles between German and British forces in Western Europe from 1940 to 1945."
Derp, I forgot. My bad. I guess part of it was the embarassment of riches and the focus on post-D Day with most of the scenarios that a certain stable genius has turnd out for that module.

(Though I guess the corollarhy to that might be Free French/late war addition to this one when?)

But in any case, whatever is done, I don't think people wll have much reason to complain.
Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

Turtler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:26 pm
Paul59 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Derp, I forgot. My bad. I guess part of it was the embarassment of riches and the focus on post-D Day with most of the scenarios that a certain stable genius has turnd out for that module.

(Though I guess the corollarhy to that might be Free French/late war addition to this one when?)

But in any case, whatever is done, I don't think people wll have much reason to complain.
Outside of a Pacific campaign between Japan and the US, I don't see any other reason people would complain either. With 10 to 12 mods under his belt, I'm fairly certain paul is somebody who has very much deservedly earned the respect of the entire Battle Academy community for his contributions. He certainly has earned mine since the proper addition of the Western Front Armies and the addition of other Axis forces like Japan and Italy.
Turtler

Post by Turtler »

DatMoff wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 pm Outside of a Pacific campaign between Japan and the US, I don't see any other reason people would complain either. With 10 to 12 mods under his belt, I'm fairly certain paul is somebody who has very much deservedly earned the respect of the entire Battle Academy community for his contributions. He certainly has earned mine since the proper addition of the Western Front Armies and the addition of other Axis forces like Japan and Italy.
Yup, it is an awesome corpus of work.
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Turtler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:45 pm
DatMoff wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 pm Outside of a Pacific campaign between Japan and the US, I don't see any other reason people would complain either. With 10 to 12 mods under his belt, I'm fairly certain paul is somebody who has very much deservedly earned the respect of the entire Battle Academy community for his contributions. He certainly has earned mine since the proper addition of the Western Front Armies and the addition of other Axis forces like Japan and Italy.
Yup, it is an awesome corpus of work.
Yeah, he’s kept this community alive right now.
jjaquemond
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jjaquemond »

Un grand merci mon cher Monsieur Paul59! SO great to see this mod finally - I've been hoping for early war Skirmish French, Polish, British for years / playing this game since the early days ipad release. You inspired me to buy it again on PC / steam sale so I could finally enjoy all this amazing extra content. Truly amazing work sir!
rico21
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rico21 »

Montjoie Saint Denis!
mpetri

Post by mpetri »

Cheers
Alex
You could always do a Sinai/Palestine front version or WW1 Eastern Front; both were more wars of maneuver than the stereotypical trench fighting on the Western Front. The terrain seems like it would be simply enough to do(the same sort of desert and “Tunisia” terrain from the British vs Germans North Africa skirmish mod for the Middle East, and you could probably just use the base game terrain for WW1 Eastern Front). Units would be a bit more of a issue for the Sinai/Palestine version, but you could also utilize the Moroccan troops from the Spanish Civil War skirmish mood as a base design perhaps.

Having the trenches only stretch across parts of the map wouldn’t be too much of a problem anyway: the original WW1 scenarios from BA1 only had stretches of trenches anyway vs it all across the map, and one could always say that this was a skirmish between forwards elements of the two sides, probing each other’s newly acquired territory. The barbed wire from base game would come in handy there, although there might have to be a “wire cutter” function modded in, similar to the mine clearing one.
dilore
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by dilore »

Excellent Paul59!
You made me play BA2 again.

Thanks a lot! I mean it.

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”