Heavy Cavalry of Germanic Nations - Choice of Images

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Heavy Cavalry of Germanic Nations - Choice of Images

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:42 am

Hi

In the “Frank” folder n the unit editor (and I think the same is true in Legions Triumphant) the image used for the “frank Cav Cavalry a” battle group is that of a general figure in fact “unit-ac01-frank-mtd-general” so it looks a bit odd, as no weapons are being held this looks even odder in the battlegroup with a general added where the figure used “unit-SK01-saxon-mtd-general” has sword and shield and actually looks more like a rank and file trooper than the other two figures in the group. Perhaps it would be better to have the “frank Cav Cavalry a” battlegroup made up of 3 of the “unit-SK01-saxon-mtd-general” figures with the variation with a mounted general having two of these and 1 of “unit-ac01-frank-mtd-general”.

Also while there were no Ostrogothic cavalry figures with Legions Triumphant the “unit-cr52b-syrian-kurd-heavy-cavalry-lance” used for Cavalry in the Early Ostrogoth list (and it should have been used for “Armoured Cavalry battle groups in that list as will) was a much better choice than the figure employed for the two Ostrogoth lists in the Decline & Fall DAG which I have not found in the image folder yet but which sports a prominent arrow quiver which it should not have and lacks the round shield it should be holding.

Moving on now to the Vandal lists in the Decline & Fall DAG (the Vandal list in Legions Triumphant has the same problem) the image used for the “Noble Cavalry” & “Vandal Cavalry” battlegroups in the DAG’s in both modules is an Avar one from the “Steps” folder. The WRG books I have and the images for DBA online for vandal cavalry suggest that they would look more like other Dark Age Germanic cavalry, so perhaps “unit-ac02-breton-heavy-cavalry” would be a better choice with one “unit-ac01-frank-mtd-general” added to a commanders battlegroup.

The Bucellari in the two Visigoth lists in Decline & Fall are fine except for the fact that they have horse armour which I don’t think is accurate, “unit-cr52b-syrian-kurd-heavy-cavalry-lance” would be a better choice here. This figure should also be used for the “Noble Cavalry” in the Legions Triumphant” list which currently is the same Avar one used for Vandal Cavalry.

The Lombard and Breton Cavalry are very good by the wary 

Many thanks
Ian

keithmartinsmith
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by keithmartinsmith » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Ian,

Thanks for these comment and keep them coming.

NONE of these will be changed as part of the next patch 1.6.3.

Thanks
Keith

Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:24 am

Hi
I notice that these images choices did not come into effect with version 1.64 do you plan to implement them at some later starge ?

Many thnaks
Ian
PS the the quick battle system so a great idea and glad the MP with the DAG is now working

Return to “Old Beta Test”