Payload weight?

Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM) Road to the Moon is the ultimate game of space exploration.

Moderators: N_Molson, Nacho84

Furrygopher
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Payload weight?

Post by Furrygopher » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Is this information anywhere in the user interface prior to opening a program? I seem to be spending a fair amount of cash on projects my little booster can't hack.

*edit, Ah no matter Its squirreled away in the buzz-Opedia artices

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Re: Payload weight?

Post by Nacho84 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:48 am

You have a valid point nonetheless. I'll take a look at the UI and fit that information more at hand, so that it becomes easier to check.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

Furrygopher

Post by Furrygopher » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 am

Another minor thing I noticed was on the open a rocket program screen I couldn't tell the difference between a Human rated rocket and a none rated rocket. so I didn't know which researchers will be needed to work on it until it's open. but I admit I haven't launched a Human on anything yet, so Is that distinction even relevant anymore? can I strap a R-7 (or any historically non human rated rocket) onto the mercury capsule?

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:00 pm

It's a valid point, yes. I'll add some code in order to make it clear whether the rocket is man-rated or not.

Regarding your question: indeed, it's relevant. You won't be able to launch a crewed mission using a non man-rated rocket. Notice, however, that you are able to launch an uncrewed mission using a man-rated spacecraft atop of a non man-rated rocket (e.g., an uncrewed Mercury suborbital flight using a Titan IIIE-Centaur). Robotic missions can be launched using any type of rocket, provided that they are powerful enough to lift them. You will be able to, for example, launch a Sputnik satellite on top of a Saturn V. Not a wise use of resources, of course, but you can definitely do it if you want to :)

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter

SebbiLebga
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by SebbiLebga » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:26 pm

I've a remark that is slightly connected to this thread: would it be possible to add the information about the unit cost of a booster in the Rocket Program screen? It would be nice if I could make my decision about my boosters also based on the unit costs.

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:41 pm

SebbiLebga wrote:I've a remark that is slightly connected to this thread: would it be possible to add the information about the unit cost of a booster in the Rocket Program screen? It would be nice if I could make my decision about my boosters also based on the unit costs.
Done! You'll get this feature in the next update.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter

Xiaomaoxin
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Xiaomaoxin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Unless I am missing something the project info only seem to provide the general weight of the payload. It would be nice if information about how far the booster has to get it would be available there. Of course this can be found out with an educated guess but still. I mean for example on the project info make it not only 53 kg payload but 53 kg that have to be carried to TLI as maximum requirement and earth orbit as minimum (for a project with multiple missions). Since this information is missing (or I cant find it) I am still a bit unsure at times which booster will actually do the job.

Also: great job on the failure popups :) Although in some cases I dont get the base numbers for that. e.g. all components and involved personnel 90+ but base chance of success 75% or something? How can that number be lower than the lowest involved number of reliability and personnel?

klappertjes
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by klappertjes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Regarding the project info and wanting an indicator of what category you're looking at: you can look at the missions involved in a program. From the description of the mission it shouldn't be too hard to guess which type it is. Unless there's counter-intuitive cases that I'm not aware of, anything around Earth is either suborbital or orbital (the mission name will tell you which at a glance), anything to the moon is TLI, and the rest (other planets and the sun) are TPI.
Reserving space in the UI to spell this out for you every time seems a waste of screen space to me.

If people have an issue with this, maybe an explanation of what TLI and TPI are at the start might be nice to avoid confusion?

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”