Status of the game

Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM) Road to the Moon is the ultimate game of space exploration.

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

Jeff9650
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Status of the game

Post by Jeff9650 »

Sorry to poke the bear with this, but I have to ask: Is there any more updates coming down the pike? While 1.5 was ok, I was hopping to see some missions that would run past the landing on the moon. Is stuff like that in the works? I really love this game and would like to see more content for it, but it gets old when once you land on the moon .. you're essentially done.
Kalesin
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Status of the game

Post by Kalesin »

We are many of us who love the game.
 We need DLC!!!
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello all,

I have an update for SPM in the works with some fixes and tweaks. You can see the changelog here. The plan is to release it in a few months, once we have a implemented a considerable number of changes.

At the moment we don't have any plans to release new content for the game. We started working on a sequel of SPM back in March but I decided to put its development on hold about a month ago.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter
Xiaomaoxin
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Xiaomaoxin »

Why is the sequel on hold? How bad is the situation? Possible that it will be scrapped? What about ISS and Mars? Should we panic?
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

Xiaomaoxin wrote:Should we panic?
Hahaha, this last sentence made me smile :)

For the moment I've decided to put the project on hold, though we might revisit it at some point since my original plan when I started SPM was to go beyond the Moon landings. That being said, SPM will still be maintained and I'll still be monitoring the forums, so please feel free to report any issues you come across.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter
Kalesin

Post by Kalesin »

jjknap
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jjknap »

What? are you saying no part 2 or part 3? That is terrible news :evil:

Was the sales that bad?
KyleS
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KyleS »

This is why games should be designed to be easily moddable. In many cases, fans come up with better stuff than the original makers ever did, and it only helps the brand of the company, and thus sales of future products.
jjknap
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jjknap »

I think they did a fantastic job with the game. Was really looking forward to the next part though. So disappointed :(
Kalesin

Post by Kalesin »

Has stopped for now, but not definitely, as discussed.

The game is still active, and fixes and patches are made, we have yet to reach new patch.

Made version for IOS, Android version also stopped, it is unfortunate.

I guess if there is a good community, not enough, we will have to wait and see what changes or new headlines, but also depends on the community, so we have to put pressure so that they get more versions and parts.

I think you get Android version would be a good idea, and the community we have to start making mods.

To encourage you and you shall see that there are things made for part 2:

INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION - Mauricio Sanjurjo

jjknap
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jjknap »

Thanks for the picture. I hope you are not putting your efforts into another strategy war game...there are a zillion of those and I have no interest in them. Space history is exciting to me, and there are not enough games like this out there. There is a reason a lot of people still play a 20 year old game from Interplay on PC and on Android (BARIS). Your version is so much better, and the chance to go beyond the Apollo program was so exciting.
zeromillincrease
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by zeromillincrease »

I am very disappointed to hear that Parts II and III have been shelved. Some folks have been waiting since 1993 for a chance to take Buzz's game beyond 1960s moonshot missions.
BigRIJoe
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by BigRIJoe »

This shouldn't surprise you guys. BARIS only sold to a niche market and I assume that BASM is no different. The apparent lack of interest is obvious to anyone that has been trying to get NEW opponents for PBEM games. disappointing, but not unanticipated......at least from this corner. I agree fully with jjknap and kyle s
Numdydar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Numdydar »

I agree this is very bad news. I was all ready to buy anything else they put out for the game. But I guess there are too few of us to make it work. :(

Maybe a Kickstarter campaign would help things out :) ?
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello guys,

Many thanks for your kind words :) I know many of you were looking forward to future instalments of the game, so I can understand why this is sad news.

I'll be joining Unity Technologies at their offices in Brighton next Monday. I'm currently working through some ideas for games on the subject of space exploration, and hopefully I'll be able to continue working on them in my spare time once I get the hang of my new role at Unity.

Make sure you follow me on Twitter in order to keep up to date with any developments.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter
Kalesin

Post by Kalesin »

I'm happy for you, but is sad news for fans of the game.

The second part is more away
jack44465
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jack44465 »

Nacho84 wrote:Hello guys,

Many thanks for your kind words :) I know many of you were looking forward to future instalments of the game, so I can understand why this is sad news.

I'll be joining Unity Technologies at their offices in Brighton next Monday. I'm currently working through some ideas for games on the subject of space exploration, and hopefully I'll be able to continue working on them in my spare time once I get the hang of my new role at Unity.

Make sure you follow me on Twitter in order to keep up to date with any developments.

Cheers,
If it was possible would you guys be willing to hand it down as a community based project? I'm hoping it doesn't get post poned 'indefinitely"
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

I'm happy for you Nacho, hope you will find working there to be a great experience and will be an asset to the team.

Sorry to see parts 2 and 3 scrapped, was lookign forward to these as much as every other fan of the game. I'm glad to have been a part as far as the making of BASPM. Was great fun and will have fond memories of testing this (frankly, probably the fondest meories as far as my whole game tester career goes).

Good luck and if you ever change your mind, feel free to let me know, would be happy to help again. :)
bardosy

Post by bardosy »

I also support to open the game for mods. Content by community could be better then official stuff.

Or start a Kickstarter campaign for Part II. If it will fail, we all accept. But don't just give it up!
zeromillincrease

Post by zeromillincrease »

Bardosy makes a good point. If there were a Kickstarter campaign, any idea how much money would need to be raised for Part II to be developed?

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”