Will the game use the Panzer Corps Engine?

Forum for the strategy game set during the 2nd War for Armageddon.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Galdred
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Will the game use the Panzer Corps Engine?

Post by Galdred »

It is hinted by the scale of the game in the announcements, and the other messages but I am not too sure about it. Will the game be based on Panzer Corps?
If so, what will be the major changes compared to Rites of War?

I would really hope for a more "visceral" scale (Chaos Gate or Final Liberation). I never got into Rites of War as well as into the other two games, because it felt too abstract to me to convey the feel and specificities of WH40K warfare (that and the scale was completely weird anyway, as it used the Panzer General engine or battles that felt like company level engagements).
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will the game use the Panzer Corps Engine?

Post by IainMcNeil »

What ever code base it uses it will be different to anything that has come before so will be a custom designed engine for the game to ensure we capture the look and feel of the Armageddon setting. More details soon!
sshnuke
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by sshnuke »

IainMcNeil wrote:What ever code base it uses it will be different to anything that has come before so will be a custom designed engine for the game to ensure we capture the look and feel of the Armageddon setting. More details soon!
When? At E3 or this week?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We haven't set a date for the next update so it will be a few weeks at least until we're happy to show something.
Wodin
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Wodin »

I'd have though the Battle Academy engine greatly modified would be the perfect choice but hexes are mentioned so it rules it out. Panzer Corps engine..not so sure unless the scale of the units is reduced abit I think it will loose atmosphere (thats if it uses that engine). I believe one of the older WH40K games was similar to Panzer general and didn't go down so well compared to say Chaos Gate.

Still I hope if it is using the PC engine I will be surprised and my misgivings be wrong..what would be cool if this new game is using a larger scale is say use the BA2 (The new features I'm sure would help) engine for a lower squad scale game..honestly I could see that working very well indeed it would give that more visceral scale that I think a WH40K game needs as Gladred said.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It's not actually using any existing engine. There is some shared code from previous games but it is very much a bespoke game model we're working on.
sshnuke

Post by sshnuke »

Will there be CG cutscenes or even movie cutscenes? Just like Final Liberation
superss
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by superss »

Wodin wrote:I'd have though the Battle Academy engine greatly modified would be the perfect choice but hexes are mentioned so it rules it out. Panzer Corps engine..not so sure unless the scale of the units is reduced abit I think it will loose atmosphere (thats if it uses that engine). I believe one of the older WH40K games was similar to Panzer general and didn't go down so well compared to say Chaos Gate.

Still I hope if it is using the PC engine I will be surprised and my misgivings be wrong..what would be cool if this new game is using a larger scale is say use the BA2 (The new features I'm sure would help) engine for a lower squad scale game..honestly I could see that working very well indeed it would give that more visceral scale that I think a WH40K game needs as Gladred said.
produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by produit »

sshnuke wrote:Will there be CG cutscenes or even movie cutscenes? Just like Final Liberation
I would also like to see cutscenes like in Final Liberation (or Warcraft 3, or ...) to have a better immersion in a story...
Duke_Falcon
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Duke_Falcon »

This game seems interesting. I hope it will turn-based since the real-time WH40k games were not very liked by me (Winter Storm was horrible! The AI were always extreme and it make me furious often). Best will be some Chaos Gate like or Rites of War game. RoW was good, colourfull and easy to play, so my vote goes to that style (I know it is not a wishlist :) ). Just with more animations and units! Tons of units instead of a dozens.
The engine, if were really used Panzer Corps engine, will be adequate. Looks relatively good IMO and know lots of things. A good, solid compromise, mayhaps. But if it could be make to looks like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., then it will heaven on Earth (but needs a power plant not a PC :S).
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It is absolutely 100% turn based :)
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Wodin wrote:I'd have though the Battle Academy engine greatly modified would be the perfect choice but hexes are mentioned so it rules it out. Panzer Corps engine..not so sure unless the scale of the units is reduced abit I think it will loose atmosphere (thats if it uses that engine). I believe one of the older WH40K games was similar to Panzer general and didn't go down so well compared to say Chaos Gate.

I back tis comment totally. I think that the battle academy engine will just be great for a WH40K adaptation. I don't say I won't like the current game but I do lobby for a battle fileld academy version of WH40K.
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Skanvak wrote:

I back tis comment totally. I think that the battle academy engine will just be great for a WH40K adaptation. I don't say I won't like the current game but I do lobby for a battle fileld academy version of WH40K.
I agree totally.
Richard
Deuce_Savage

Post by Deuce_Savage »

Why not the People's General engine? That had to be & to this day the greatest, less complex engine i ever had the joy to play a game with! All other TB games were lackluster in style & not worth appreciating. Guess what? I still play with modified versions of Panzer General 2 & People's General (People's General: Shock & Awe mod).

This new game i sense by Slitherine is one of much anticipation! This one is going to be a winner! Why? Todays techs &
specs cant afford garbage products so we are in for a real treat!!!! The wait is finally over! I just hope the terrain are mapped in realistic fashion, close to 3D! - And with the control ability to turn on or off the hexes as well fog of war.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”