No Hot Seat?

Forum for the strategy game set during the 2nd War for Armageddon.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

rascal007
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

No Hot Seat?

Post by rascal007 »

So, did I miss something, or does this game really lack hot seat or even simultaneous multiplayer? Trying that right now and all I found is a mode where I can play my turn, then disconnect to lobby, wait for my friend to play his turn and then connect again, while he is waiting in lobby for me to finish my turn.. hope I just missed something and this is not the only MP mode to play
CommissarMolotov

Re: No Hot Seat?

Post by CommissarMolotov »

It looks to me like the old "play-by-mail" style is the only available MP mode, rascal. Better for playing games over the course of a week than a night...
Maler
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Maler »

I read somewhere that due to last minute problems they had to disable it and that it will be fixed soon. I think I am correct in saying that but don't hold me to it !!
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Our data says that MP where you have to be online for the entire game is played by almost nobody (and this has been my experience even on huge games from Westwood etc). It's just too tough to both arrange matches and for people to be online for hours finishing a fight. The async MP system that Armageddon uses is one we use to great success in many other games and makes it much easier for people to actually find and play MP games.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

P.S. Yes, hotseat had some issues that mean it won't be turned on until a future update. We do find that some people play 'realtime' matches just by waiting for the turn to come back to them, but as a turn based game, the lobby time is only what you would have to be sitting waiting on anyway :). One idea is to play paired games - then you always have a turn to play while waiting on the other player.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
rascal007

Post by rascal007 »

Thanks for quick and clear response Pip and also for reassurance that hot seat will be added later. And congratulations for finishing this amazing and funny game.

Have a nice day

Rascal
Okim
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Okim »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Our data says that MP where you have to be online for the entire game is played by almost nobody (and this has been my experience even on huge games from Westwood etc). It's just too tough to both arrange matches and for people to be online for hours finishing a fight. The async MP system that Armageddon uses is one we use to great success in many other games and makes it much easier for people to actually find and play MP games.

Cheers

Pip
Sorry, but this is not true in most cases. As a fan of CIV series and many other turn-based games (AOW, old MOO series, XCOM and etc.) I can`t imagine a game where you are supposed to get fun by sitting in the lobby and waiting for the opponent to finish his turn. I wish to be able to see what happens during the turn, to be able to start planning from the first opponents move I see, noting the whereabouts of his artillery units that fire at me and chat with him expressing my emotions after he smashed my precious unit. I wish to play a game with my friend - not some static entirely non-immersive 'your turn - wait in lobby - your turn" mode. Today is not some 80-90th where PBEM would be one of the only possible ways of achieving multiplayer.

Currently MP games are just a heavily ripped off version of single player even without the option to see what happened in the last turn and simple messaging system. As I wrote above - I don`t get a feeling that I`m playing against some fella human.
Lords of The Stars Board Game - my personal WIP project.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”