Army ballance

Forum for the strategy game set during the 2nd War for Armageddon.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Werebear
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Army ballance

Post by Werebear »

At the moment, there is absolutely no reason to use different types of units in a single class. To pass a first part campaign is almost always necessary to choose

1) Infantry - elite ogres
2) Tank - Leman Russ Vanquisher
3) Artillery - medusa siege gun

The remaining units are useless (much less useful)

Correspondingly my army is far from canonical Army Imperial Guard. Use guards inf totally not justified.

In order to remedy the situation must be severe restrictions on the elite and special units and the number of units in each class. At the same time, the number of simple units (guards sentinels etc) can be done either without restriction, or with a very large margin.

UPDATE

After receiving Shadowsword I do not see any reason to use any other unit...
Malcador

Re: Army ballance

Post by Malcador »

How can you use Medusas with their short range? Wouldn't they get decimated by long range enemy units?

I cannot use anything but Basilisks as artillery support.
davea

Post by davea »

One good way to limit elite units is by requiring upgrades to get them. For example, suppose you could only get an ogron elite veteran unit by spending extra to upgrade an ogron infantry unit, after it had acquired at least one level of experience. Comments and the structure of the game data files claim this is possible, but it does not work.
em
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by em »

There are also, issues with one variant of the unit being much better than the rest within the same class.

The good example is Land Raider Achilles.
It seems to be the one answer to all threats, efficently decimating orc infantry, killing heavies including gargants and withstanding most of the attacks.
I tried all other Land Raider variants but could not find anything better.

Perhaps a progressive coast increase for the each new unit of the same type (for some units) could mitigate the issue.
Make second, third and each next exemplar of the unit cost more for elite units. Start this later for basic ones. So 4 leman Russes cost the same price and the 5th, 6th, etc each more than previous. Do not apply this penalty for cheap units like steel legion infantry....
Valad
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Valad »

If unit limits will not be put in place, then the point system needs a complete overhaul. This way you will be either forced to use large amounts of cheap units such as infantry, with a small amount (or even none) of more expensive heavier/more powerful units, or use a very small strike force of expensive heavy units. Will need a lot of play testing and balancing to get right plus the balance of the combat needs to be just right to make the extremely expensive units worthwhile and not killed off in a couple of turns by enemy units which shouldn't really be able to hurt them.

Working on this myself as part of my mod, but I'll always encourage others to have a go themselves, because they may do a better job of the balancing.
enpi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by enpi »

Valad wrote:If unit limits will not be put in place, then the point system needs a complete overhaul. .
I agree. There is a reason that Games Workshop has unit limits (a certain percentage of an army must consist of standard, elite or assault models AFAIK) in its point buy system. They realized that without it, the system will be vastly reduced in its efficiency.

I suggst that Slitherine introduces similar cathegories and unit caps. IMO its wrong to penalize cheap units with a overall army cap. EG in WH40: Armageddon campaigns it makes no sense to include Imperial Guard into the core army instead of ogryns because of course a player likes to fill each of his available army slots with elite. So the game mechanics about army composition needs to be overhauled to fix this problem.
Falke_MatrixForum
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Falke_MatrixForum »

em wrote: The good example is Land Raider Achilles.
It seems to be the one answer to all threats, efficently decimating orc infantry, killing heavies including gargants and withstanding most of the attacks.
I tried all other Land Raider variants but could not find anything better.
The LR Crusader is much better vs infantry with 13 shots vs Achilles 8 and does ok vs heavies.
On the other Hand These 2 are the only variants that i use.
em
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by em »

Falke_MatrixForum, as part of the battle group, LR Achilles is better IMHO, since I can always rely on tactical marines and devastators to finish off damaged orc infantry units even if LR A does not manage to kill them right away.

And itvis way better in killing heavies, especially those softened by Dreadnoughts....

LR A + N Infantry + Dreadnought is always better choice than LR C + N infantry + Dreadnought for me. At least in Campaign. Of course in MP if an ork olayer decides to spam Kommandoz or Tankbustaz, it won't be so...

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”