Warhammer 40,000: Slitherine vs Relic Entertainment (SEGA)

Forum for the strategy game set during the 2nd War for Armageddon.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Freyr Oakenshield
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Warhammer 40,000: Slitherine vs Relic Entertainment (SEGA)

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Warhammer 40,000 setting but I've recently got interested in it since the gameplay and game mechanics seem similar to Panzer Corps, which I like a lot. I'm considering buying it. I also noticed that some Warhammer 40,000 titles were developed by Relic Entertainment and published by SEGA.

Could someone briefly describe what the difference is between the Slitherine's version and that of Relic Entertainment (SEGA)?

Best,
f
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwXNI5ii4_WIzfA1Yi0Hp-w
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/freyr_oakenshield
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Warhammer 40,000: Slitherine vs Relic Entertainment (SEG

Post by IainMcNeil »

Relic's games are RTS's. We make turn based strategy games and wargames. If you like PzC then Armageddon is the one you. Relic are taking over the Dawn of War franchise which is very nice but nothing like the games we make.
RVallant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by RVallant »

IainMcNeil wrote:Relic's games are RTS's. We make turn based strategy games and wargames. If you like PzC then Armageddon is the one you. Relic are taking over the Dawn of War franchise which is very nice but nothing like the games we make.
Hng, I don't think Armageddon deserves to be in the same breath as PzC, personally! :P

Relic's DoW is good, but I didn't like the fact they built up the second part as a personal story and then threw everyone on the backburner. Kinda sucks.

Slitherine's attempt, I already reviewed in depth for a gaming site, and I still don't think a lot of the negatives in that game have been corrected enough for me. :)
Ardire
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Ardire »

Dawn of War to me is more of an action strategy game which is mostly fun as a multiplayer title (which is pretty much dead due to CoH2). Armageddon is a turn based strategy with a richer singleplayer experience.

To elaborate, in Armageddon as you progress in the story you can fit your army with your own gear, rather than stroll though events with units depending on the mission. The unit selection in Armageddon mixed with core infantry gives the game nice replayability and allows your units to have a more personal touch rather than them being entities scattered sparingly on the field.

Anyway the two games, although in the same universe, are totally different.

On a side note Dawn of War has some nice mods and more factions if you've got soul storm. Just get into it if you've got friends willing to play
Solo4114
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Solo4114 »

DoW 1 is your standard base-building RTS game. DoW 2 removes the base building aspect for the bulk of the game, but it's still an RTS. There's also a unit cap (though you can mod the game to remove it).

The DOW games are really, really pretty, but I'm not really a fan of the gameplay itself. Although that's more because I'm not really a fan of RTS games. To its credit, DoW2 does incorporate a cover system to some degree, and it also includes things like suppressive fire. In that sense, you can bring tactics into play. And, of course, there's the rock-paper-scissors approach to units. But you still spend a lot of your time frantically clicking and activating unit special abilities.

For tactical fighting, I prefer older games like Chaos Gate (which is like 40K meets the old Xcom games), or Steel Panthers: World at War (if you're in a WWII mood).
frunit7

Post by frunit7 »

You may also try to find Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War, which was based on the Panzer General 2 engine by SSI and produced by GW.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”