Branches and puzzles? A question about scenarios & campaigns

Forum for the strategy game set during the 2nd War for Armageddon.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Solaristics
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Branches and puzzles? A question about scenarios & campaigns

Post by Solaristics »

I'm thinking of buying this game to player over Christmas, but I'm wondering firstly if the scenarios are puzzle-like as some PzC scenarios are, or are there many routes to victory? Also, can you fail in some objectives and still progress to the next scenario in a campaign - going down the losers branch - or is it linear and you just have to keep playing the scenario until you win?
souldan
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Branches and puzzles? A question about scenarios & campa

Post by souldan »

It's a linear campaign. You need to win each scenario to continue.

It's a fun game and different enough to panzer corps for a change of pace.

I'd recommend it if you like PzC, especially if you played 40k in your youth like l did.
Solo4114

Re: Branches and puzzles? A question about scenarios & campa

Post by Solo4114 »

Constans wrote:I'm thinking of buying this game to player over Christmas, but I'm wondering firstly if the scenarios are puzzle-like as some PzC scenarios are, or are there many routes to victory? Also, can you fail in some objectives and still progress to the next scenario in a campaign - going down the losers branch - or is it linear and you just have to keep playing the scenario until you win?
I'm in the middle of Act III, so this may change as you go along. As far as I know, there aren't any branching scenario chains. Much like the game of thrones, when you play, you win or you die. :)

As far as the scenarios being "puzzle-like," I haven't noticed that being the case. Your core force -- which you can build as you see fit -- plays a big role in how you approach the mission. You'll likely want a combined arms approach (the game caters to this, certainly, with the rock, paper, scissors interactions between unit types -- except flyers because they have no evasion and get shot down really easily). But the precise mixes (e.g. artillery-heavy vs. infantry-heavy vs. armor heavy vs. a mix of all) is up to you. The path to victory is often also up to you, although in some scenarios it's more linear than others.

I'll give you two examples. In a scenario I just played, I'm told to traverse the jungles from one location to the next. The mission objectives are to grab all the victory hexes. The hexes themselves start with one in the center, then there are essentially three paths to get to another hex located farther to the west. I can go through the jungle (well, send my infantry through), I can flank north, or I can take the southern approach. Up to me which path I want to take, or whether I want to split my forces. There are also two hexes along the way that aren't victory hexes, but which are sort of strongpoints for the enemy. I can take those or ignore them, depending on my route and my preferences.

On another map, you're tasked with defending a given location until relieved (it's a nail-biter of a mission and really fun). There are three approaches to the hexes I'm guarding, each with a bridge the enemy has to cross. So, I have three chokepoints to guard. Ok, fine. But how to I arrange my forces? Infantry front, supported by armor? Armor in the front? Everyone retreat to hold one hex and then counter attack when relief comes? Up to me.

I'll say this, though. Sometimes when you deploy your forces, you realize that in their second turn, they're up against targets they can't damage, and don't have the right mix of support. At that point, you probably reload and rejigger your deployment. But it's not as if there's ONE right way to beat each scenario, and no other paths to victory. And, again, much depends on how you build out your core.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”