Resolution

“Drums of War” - is a turn-based tactical strategy game boasting well developed combat system and interactive environment, providing wide opportunities for tactics.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Drums of War Moderators

Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Resolution

Post by Muddy »

It looks to be in very low resolution. Do you have to play this in a window to avoid the blockiness on large monitors?
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Re: Resolution

Post by Vladimir1979 »

Muddy wrote:It looks to be in very low resolution. Do you have to play this in a window to avoid the blockiness on large monitors?
Native resolution - 1024x768. You can play in fullscreen mode and windowed mode. Mode change in game --- button "Options".
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Vladimir1979 wrote:
Muddy wrote:It looks to be in very low resolution. Do you have to play this in a window to avoid the blockiness on large monitors?
Native resolution - 1024x768. You can play in fullscreen mode and windowed mode. Mode change in game --- button "Options".
So this works with 1920X1080 and win7 64-bit? or does it only works with vista and XP?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

jnpoint wrote:
Vladimir1979 wrote:
So this works with 1920X1080 and win7 64-bit? or does it only works with vista and XP?
It works with Win7 64-bit.
Muddy

Post by Muddy »

I really like this sort of game but don't like playing in a window or having pixelated graphics, so I just don't know. My monitor is 1920X1080.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

I tried a demo from some months ago, but is the resolution the same in the final version, as the demo? and can you zoom in and out? and change the camera angle?
ichirou989
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ichirou989 »

From what I've been reading, the game is only in 1024x768. So you can play it in a window, or play it fullscreen and have distorted graphics I suppose. With this resolution, maybe it would have been better to release this for tablets instead?
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

From what I have read here and in the forum in Matrix games, it's not a game for me. Sad, the idea was good, but the graphics just isn't good enough.
Muddy

Post by Muddy »

You can't have a new game with such a low resolution, in these days of widescreen 24" monitors, you will get shot. :)

It's a shame because the graphics themselves look lush.
spleendamage
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by spleendamage »

I agree that it's unfortunate.
I play at 2560x1600 and in full screen the game looks very unimpressive graphically.
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Post by Vladimir1979 »

Hello
The resolution is low because that is the size of the battlefield and I have made it for smaller screens. The whole battle happens on one screen and does not scroll and if I would make the resolution for big screens the small ones would have the same problem.
Muddy

Post by Muddy »

Vladimir1979 wrote:Hello
The resolution is low because that is the size of the battlefield and I have made it for smaller screens. The whole battle happens on one screen and does not scroll and if I would make the resolution for big screens the small ones would have the same problem.
I understand. I have a small low rez monitor that I could hook that up as a second monitor, that should do the trick. :)
ichirou989

Post by ichirou989 »

Well, if the game is similar to the demo I played last year, then while the screen res is small, the game play seemed good. I do remember though that if you went full screen in the game that it did reduce the quality of the graphics on at 1920x1080 monitor, so I just played it in a window which was fine. I do feel bad that people are reacting so harshly over the display size and basing their decision to purchase on that. It's not that horrible to play it in a window, and if it bothers you to see your desktop, then just load up some fantasy background like for a screensaver and play the game on top of that picture. Still, I can appreciate the arguments regarding widescreen, since at least in North America it has become a standard since 5 or 6 years ago. Then again, many of us now have tablets and play games on them, and they really aren't too much different in physical size to the screen size of this game.

Of course maybe I'm more forgiving of this sort of thing since I've been playing PC games since the VGA graphics days on an Apple IIe. So while I do love state of the art graphics, pop, and sizzle, I can still allow myself to go retro if the subject interests me. Perhaps the best thing at this point might be to get a new demo released for this version of the game so people can try it out and see for themselves if they can overlook playing in a window and see how the actual game plays and if they like it.
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Post by Vladimir1979 »

Hello
I am glad that you liked the game.
jkbrookfield
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jkbrookfield »

This is now the second game in a row I've bought from Slitherine with these limited video resolution options.
The first was Piercing Fortress Europa. I am very disappointed. Battle for Westnoth is a much better game with hundreds of campaigns.
It also uses my large screen monitor's graphics capability with huge scrolling battle maps. ALSO...It's FREE!!!!!!!
What a waste of money! I am now uninstalling Drums of War. I used to just buy anything that Slitherine published when it was released.
I won't make that mistake again without a lot more information first.
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Post by Vladimir1979 »

jkbrookfield wrote:This is now the second game in a row I've bought from Slitherine with these limited video resolution options.
The first was Piercing Fortress Europa. I am very disappointed. Battle for Westnoth is a much better game with hundreds of campaigns.
It also uses my large screen monitor's graphics capability with huge scrolling battle maps. ALSO...It's FREE!!!!!!!
What a waste of money! I am now uninstalling Drums of War. I used to just buy anything that Slitherine published when it was released.
I won't make that mistake again without a lot more information first.
Perhaps reading reviews players, you give the game a chance. Reviews can be read here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as ... 28&mpage=2

Return to “Drums of War”