Review and thoughts for making the game more appealing

“Drums of War” - is a turn-based tactical strategy game boasting well developed combat system and interactive environment, providing wide opportunities for tactics.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Drums of War Moderators

vicklemos
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Review and thoughts for making the game more appealing

Post by vicklemos »

Vladimir1979 wrote:
vicklemos wrote:
Vladimir1979 wrote:Thank you. Very inspiring! But now the two of us - join 3D-modeler (Drums of War fan).
I liked your game a lot. Bought it on whim after checking it in action through some youtube videos.
Heck, I'm not that hex/wargame expert and have way too little practice on these but DoW seems very appealling and competent for such a small (?) project.
Keep up the good work and let us know if you release your next projects on Steam, GOG and so on!
Thank you. Be sure to tell! Every player who liked "Drums of War" for me is very important.
Is that so? Then awesome, Vlad.
Works perfectly on all of my machines, light game, drm-free, the way I like it. Stay in touch with us, DoW fans and we'll follow your future projects definitely! :)
Lagi
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Lagi »

as for pictures:
Drums of War has good graphic
Raging Axes has better units grp
Warbanner has artificial, confluent looks - i dont like it (i check how it looks on motion on moddb)

UI:
there could be an pop-up info how many AP consume action, like skill (info is in help)

wishlist (yes yes I know, i try to make my own game, and try to sell it):

game could use reaction mechanism - not spend in your turn AP, allow unit to act in opponents turn.
If opponent place unit during move in enemy front line, it trigger opponent reaction (if has spare AP).

reaction stance:
reckless - move forward and hit; hit only if still has AP after move [ useful to block range units, or block moving path]
aggressive - move forward and hit; move closer only if has enough AP to hit [default?]
stand and shoot (hit) - for range unit default
passive - do nothing [work like now. Use to not lose evasion bonus?]

reaction would work better, if side action order would change after single unit move (like heroes 3)

units instead of dying and resurrecting, could become mutilated (lose eye, hand, leg, puncture lung) and receive penalty to some stats

renaming units is super fun- didnt realise how enjoyable it is to name unit.
could be more custiomization options - colors? weapons (axe/sword)? helmets?

units could do little movement from time to time (very rarely). F.ex. turn head left/right a little. or move arm with weapon/shield to side. Units will feel more alive. Like environment (trees,fire). BTW when unit move it nicely "wave".

if you could put into consideration Wounding mechanism instead HP layer (for your future game?).

you have hit chance
similar you could have wound/ maim/ kill chance - with each single attack
each penalizing condition (like previous wounds, stun, slow ...) decrease the threshold for wound/maim/ kill - making it more probable to kill with next hit.

I never play this system in any computer game.
I play mechanism like this in Warhammer Fantasy battle - common soldier has 1hp [kill check yes/no?], hero has 2 or 3.
I play it a lot in pnp rpg, and thing its kinda more believable approach than decreasing HP bar.
edit:
Kings of War - miniature tabletop game use similar mechanic. Regiment of soldiers receive wounds, then player roll dice to check if stack of wounds is greater than current result on dice (if so its destroyed).
==============================
edit;

Game is awsome! The mechanic is really well thought out. Graphic is ultra-readable. Gameplay is instant. Love it. Using potions greatly enriches gameplay.

UI: 1. would be good to have key shortcut for next/prev unit, that also would work in between mission "Camp" screen (where you buy potions).
2. in between mission Camp screen- option to re-buy previously buy potions

3. would be good to have option to set, immediate unit info pop-out when you hover mouse above them.

Bugs:
1. Berserker in orc army, has default attack circular, you can not hit single target. I thought its intended, but why then he has active skill CIrcular Strike? With this "bug" berserker work-play is interesting - where to put him to not hurt own units.

Balance:
1. Potion of Acceleration. unit gain second attack and gain double range movement !! in practice it increase your army by 2x.
Using meta- from other games I just know it will be OP. Drinking Pot Acc is completely no brainer and annoying every mission click-labor with all units at the beginning of each mission.
I understand is expect pot of acc, to be countered with Purification potion. But its very situational.

solution: let potion of acceleration boost unit with +2AP for 2 turn, and next 3 turn with +1 AP. I'm not sure if this would fix the issue (need test), but should delay the binge drinking few turn. Player will use acceleration one turn before warriors clash.

2. range combat hit chance
range unit are too accurate. With fire concentration on single target, its hard (for computer especially) to save fragile units.
Range attacks should have penalty if the line of fire is crossing the cover (box, fallen tree, fence) tile (unless shooter stand in adjacent hex to cover) or other units.

P.S. I'm aware game is no longer in development :wink:
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Post by Vladimir1979 »

to Lagi:
Many thanks for the feedback! It is a pity you did not participate in the beta test! Yes, Drums of War no longer in development ))). I work on Warbanners.

1. "game could use reaction mechanism" - its great mechanics for small groups. For large groups it can cause too much micromanagement.

2. "units instead of dying and resurrecting..." - interesting, but very artificial.

3. "could be more custiomization options - colors? weapons (axe/sword)? helmets?" - yes, its funny... )))

4. "units could do little movement from time to time (very rarely)" - agreed, good idea.

5. The mechanism of healing is no better than the usual HP. It is used for board games, because there it is more convenient. IMHO, these are two normal options.

6. "key shortcut for next/prev unit" - good idea

7. "would be good to have option to set, immediate unit info pop-out when you hover mouse above them." - but now is not it?

8. Berserk have "Broad swing". Broad Swing - when attacking an enemy hand-to-hand this unit attacks the other units as well (allies among them) standing to the left and to the right of the attack target.

9. Agreed, Potion of Acceleration is OP... Especially with Quick Attack. No acceleration in Warbanners! )))

10. About range-units. IMHO, they are balanced. I've tested it, played with people... Yes, the units without shields they shoot good.

Thanks again for a very constructive comments!

PS Sorry my english...
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

thanks for answer
when I retire, don't die and don't get some brain disease - i would make computer game with 1. 2. 5. and show everyone they were wrong :D

7. its 1 sec delay
8. berserk you are right

need to check Warbanner now

thank you making a game i wish to play for a long time
apologizing for english is passe.
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Post by Vladimir1979 »

Lagi wrote:thanks for answer
when I retire, don't die and don't get some brain disease - i would make computer game with 1. 2. 5. and show everyone they were wrong :D

7. its 1 sec delay
8. berserk you are right

need to check Warbanner now

thank you making a game i wish to play for a long time
apologizing for english is passe.
Thanks.
About 7, delay. To move the mouse, screen not obscured by information about units.
greenmanx2o

Post by greenmanx2o »

Warbanners is looking sweet, I hope you are able to fully develop it.
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Post by Vladimir1979 »

greenmanx2o wrote:Warbanners is looking sweet, I hope you are able to fully develop it.
Thank you!
Latest gameplay video Warbanners:
Herode_2
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Herode_2 »

So, I had to wait until today to discover thar Warbanners have been developped by the same dev thar Drums of War !
I really loved this little game.
I 'm still sitting on the fence for Warbanners - mainly because I have several other recent games running and free time is unfortunately not elastic. But obviously, the game has just gained a bunch of points in my priority list 8)
You should try to sell Drums of War on Steam, I'm sure enough you'll find customers for this niche game, even if it's not recent.
Vladimir1979
Drums of War
Drums of War

Post by Vladimir1979 »

Herode_2 wrote:So, I had to wait until today to discover thar Warbanners have been developped by the same dev thar Drums of War !
I really loved this little game.
I 'm still sitting on the fence for Warbanners - mainly because I have several other recent games running and free time is unfortunately not elastic. But obviously, the game has just gained a bunch of points in my priority list 8)
You should try to sell Drums of War on Steam, I'm sure enough you'll find customers for this niche game, even if it's not recent.
Thank you! Unfortunately, I can not release the game on the Steam. The right to distribution belongs to Slitherine. He does not want :(

Warbanners trailer:
http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/ste ... 1506354919

Return to “Drums of War”