After Action Reporting – The Courage of a Knight, part three

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars Moderators

jpankako
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

After Action Reporting – The Courage of a Knight, part three

Post by jpankako » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:23 pm

The Abandoned Mine – Easy Money and Experience

At first dawn, I open up the map and notice that my epic performance at the trolls encampment has opened up a new opportunity to train my troops and collect more Augustali. Excellent – I want to be as well prepared as possible before attacking Krig castle.

Unless Kaos again has something up its sleeve, this should be an easy victory – odds are just one to two on my favor. I purposefully select three out of the four new recruited units to follow me – if I can get them upgraded before the next battle, then they may even be used in frontline action.

I let the first Man-At-Arms to charge the opposing archer, almost succeeding to finish it with first blow. The other one charges the infantry unit who is now deprived of archer support, catapult fires at the first enemy unit and let’s Marcus do the rest. On turn two, catapult and Marcus continue pushing forward and reach the mine, while Men-At-Arms deal with the opposing orcs at the right side. Two more rounds of determined hacking and the battle map is cleared of enemy units – in time to reach another epic victory. This was an easy win with no sudden surprises, and it allows me to upgrade three rookie units to the next level. I don’t expect the war to continue like this - that would be too easy - but one simple, non-complicated victory is a welcome booster to both my troops morale and my treasure coffins.

The Battle of Fabel – Marcus’s revenge

I’m pleased to see that my next assignment should take me to the thick of the battle – I finally get a chance to attack head on instead of going around my enemy and avoiding straight confrontation. This will show whether I’m ready to lead a proper army or if my skills are only limited to handling small skirmishes.

I observe the coming battlefield and try to decide how to place my troops. Fabel is my primary objective, but based on the experience I got from the last battle, I don’t want to attack it from a disadvantaged position at the bridge, when faced with a regenerative armored troll sitting inside a fortification, supported by ranged units. Marcus agrees – last time when in Fabel, he was sitting inside that fortification, watching as attacking troops wasted themselves on the walls of the city. Without the red dragon, Kaos would have never gotten hold of Fabel – and deprived of that advantage, I need to come up with something else.
I decide to use the riverbank at the northeast as my crossing point. Kaos does not have many troops there and archers can’t sight me through the withered woods. First I need however to eliminate the trolls ahead of me and leave a sufficient fortification in place to take care of my encampment in case the Goblins decide to come out of woods.

Let the battle commence! Before I’m able to take my first step, my intelligence officer tells me to watch out for the energy coming from the circle of Kaos. When he’s not gloating on enemy’s misfortune or cheering loudly from behind, he usually has a point – so I decide to move in a bit more carefully than I intended. I was given 12 full turns to finish this battle and based on the look of it, it should not necessarily take that long…

I finish the two inexperienced trolls with my ranged units and a hit from Marcus, close in a tight formation and start making progress towards the river. I leave one infantry unit fortified to guard the encampment, knowing that I still support him with my ranged units if needed.

At once, the war messenger’s ominous warning realizes. Five new Kaos troops appear next to the ritual circle and two Harpies, seemingly unaffected by my units zone of control, strike at one of my new recruits. On the other side of the battlefield, goblins attack my lone infantry unit.

Turn two. Happy to not have had exposed my back to the screaming harpies, I launch a counterattack and cut down these flying menaces with my archer and two Men-At-Arms. The two other ranged units help to kill the already weakened goblin whilst the infantry unit guarding the encampment delivers a decisive blow at the slinger. There’s still a chance to cross river during this turn! The newly arrived undead will unwillingly assist Marcus in crossing, as he slices through the skeleton archer and takes the empty hex. Three other units follow but are left vulnerable to enemy’s attack, while I form a second front to hit the Orc encampment on this side of the river. End of turn.

Kaos attacks and I find myself struggling to keep my positions. One blow from the goblin wolfrider and my experienced light infantry unit is gone. Another from ranged units next to Fabel and my cavalry crossing the stream is immobilized and at half health. Another skeleton appears through the circle – if I let this continue, it can change the course of battle.

I forget everything else and let Marcus focus on the Kaos portal. Supported with a special skill, he evaporates the skeleton and closes the gate for undead.

All my ranged units turn to fire at the wolfrider, who has been followed by a nasty-looking Orc with a sizable meat-cleaver. I manage to kill the wolfrider and with exhausted march bring my Man-At-Arms in place to stop the Orc from breaking through. Behind Marcus, my two other troops cross the river, but the panicking horserider is left in middle to wait for the next round – all I can do is recover as much of his health as is possible.

Turn four. My cavalry barely manages the attack and retreats back to south bank, still immobilized. I use nearly all my troops left in the south bank to deal with the ferocious orc, who is trying to push through my Man-At-Arms. Five strikes later, the orc has left the map to join the skeleton army. Up north, I put my focus on clearing away the ranged units surrounding Fabel. The Man-At-Arms who survived the harpies attack is sufficiently recovered to finish off the skeleton archer, light infantry kills the orc priest with the help of an archer, and Marcus takes out the orc archer behind the castle. I finish the turn firmly in control of the battleground – this will be another glorious day for Adamantia!

It takes me three turns to finish off the orc guarding Fabel, with Marcus furiously hacking away pieces of the enemy. The Man-At-Arms gets carried away following my hero’s actions and is crushed by one of orcs counterattacks. In the meanwhile, my remaining troops at the south bank have cleared the encampment and have started softening the enemy in the remaining stronghold.
By turn nine, the orc hero is getting weaker. I’ve let Marcus join the battle and left one weakened infantry unit stand next to Fabel, waiting for the outcome of this final stage. By turn ten, the Adamantian encampment is ours and by turn eleven, the last enemy unit is down.

I end the battle and to my surprise receive acknowledgements from the sourpuss I’ve been dragging along my journey. As we depart, his last words remain ringing in my ears… …and now I understand where his comments are coming from – Julius is from a former nation, nowadays just a small province of Adamantia, known for its accomplished and misunderstood bureaucrats and know-it-alls! Had I understood to carry fried frog legs and flowery Prospel wine with me, his comments might have been much smoother...

Having supplied my troops, resurrected my dead, and recruited new freshmen interested in joining the fabled Kommanders forces, I’m ready to face new adventures.
I’ll let the future Kommanders face The Wrath of Evil with their own advisors supporting them, but just as a closure teaser, this is what my battle outcome for the last human mission looked like…

Long live Adamantia!!

Return to “Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars”