number of team slots

Details coming soon!

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

Aetius3
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

number of team slots

Post by Aetius3 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:19 am

Since this game is going to be built from scratch, maybe you can make the number of team slots variable (for modders).
I've been playing CC now for 10 years now (mostly single player) and think it would be more of a single player challenge if the player can be outnumbered 2/1 or even 3/1, specificaly on the larger maps.
Maybe you could link the size of the map to the team slots available of the AI.

When playing stock game or mods where historicaly the going was very though (bocage fighting or city fighting) an you could get ambushed at every crossroad/house i somethimes can move teams freely over the larger map without any opposition.
On most larger maps the AI only forms 1 defensive line, punch through that line and half the map is yours.

I think when the single player is outnumbered 2/1 or higher the single player challenge will improve.

SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Re: number of team slots

Post by SteveMcClaire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. It may be possible when the player never needs to have UI to select all those teams, but no promises at this stage. :)

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MikeAP » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:30 am

I found that with PITF, the maps were too large for the task organization that was fighting on them.

I thought PITF did a great job with the elminating the 'battle groups' by replacing them with historical regiments. No more mix and match of units. Pick a company that goes into battle, and the equipment that goes with it. It brings HUGE intrinsic value to both the individual Soldiers, Squads, Platoons, Companies, and Regiments.

Just another great layer of the game, and a great improvement.

Going back to the original point, I think there needs to be an appropriate proportion with maps-to-unit scale.

Kanov_Slitherine
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Kanov_Slitherine » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 am

Well If you want to be outnumbered in CC just select fewer troops. I remember playing a GC as germans in the GJS mod for CC5, the one that starts already inland, where I would select only one platoon worth of troops. It was quite the challenge even with the passive AI.

I think the problem here is as you say, the fixed number of slots available but also one needs to take into consideration the strain you're putting the player by managing over 20+ individual teams & vehicles in real time. I proposed in another forum to be able to give the remaining teams to the AI and maybe possible to give overall commands (take VL designated "Hill 320" (from combobox maybe with all the VL in the map), "Defend", "All out attack" etc) or to reinforce your 21+ teams in a piecemeal fashion after one of your original unit dies.

The maps are also a problem, lets just accept that bigger maps are not always better, specially at this scale.

Or give us pause & command.

Edit:
and think it would be more of a single player challenge if the player can be outnumbered 2/1 or even 3/1, specificaly on the larger maps.
Maybe you could link the size of the map to the team slots available of the AI.
I like this idea a lot for more single player challenge. The UI wouldn't be a problem since you don't see all the AI teams on the soldier monitor, just the one you select. Imagine your 21 blue dots on the minimap, you're 3 minutes into the battle all seems quiet, then 40 to 60 red dots appear out of nowhere running straight for your positions! :shock:

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”