[BUG] Min/Max Upgrade/Downgrade system (very) wrong

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

N_Molson
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

[BUG] Min/Max Upgrade/Downgrade system (very) wrong

Post by N_Molson » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:52 am

Hello,

It seems to me that the new "Min/Max Upgrade/Downgrade" system resulting from mission successes / failures is completely messed up. I never get values inside the given Min/Max % ranges, and those values are often very very "off-range" and make little sense, as they have "irregular" decimals.

A few examples :

- Successful R-7 or Sputnik mission steps : +0.4.. % safety (it is written something like Min +3% / Max +6%)
- Failed X-15 mission : +15.6..%, actually it boosted my X-15 safety to the maximum 96% ! It is written something like Min -35% / Max -45%, which makes much more sense).

It makes the game a bit uninteresting : if you fail, you get much better results than if you succeed !! :D

Seriously, I guess those are "simple" maths errors, like operators and figures put at the wrong locations ?

Tell me if you want savegames examples, I can reproduce it very easily.
Nicolas Escats
Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Contributor

krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: [BUG] Min/Max Upgrade/Downgrade system (very) wrong

Post by krgu48 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I think it can be combined with my observation in: http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=262&t=46351

I'll connect it to your post ;)

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:12 pm

N_Molson wrote:Hello,

It seems to me that the new "Min/Max Upgrade/Downgrade" system resulting from mission successes / failures is completely messed up. I never get values inside the given Min/Max % ranges, and those values are often very very "off-range" and make little sense, as they have "irregular" decimals.

A few examples :

- Successful R-7 or Sputnik mission steps : +0.4.. % safety (it is written something like Min +3% / Max +6%)
- Failed X-15 mission : +15.6..%, actually it boosted my X-15 safety to the maximum 96% ! It is written something like Min -35% / Max -45%, which makes much more sense).

It makes the game a bit uninteresting : if you fail, you get much better results than if you succeed !! :D

Seriously, I guess those are "simple" maths errors, like operators and figures put at the wrong locations ?

Tell me if you want savegames examples, I can reproduce it very easily.
Hello there,

The fact that the reliability was going up after a failed mission was a bug, yes. I've fixed it this morning and I'm uploading an interim build so that you don't have to wait until the next patch. I'll post the link as soon as it's up so that you can play the game during the weekend.

Regarding the numbers, the calculations are working as I intended, but I need to sort out the UI so that the numbers make more sense. Let me explain: the upgrade (and downgrade) numbers are not the values that will get added (substracted) to your current reliability once the mission is over. The way it works is as follows. If the mission is successful, the game computes a value called 'delta' which is the difference between the max reliability and your current reliability. Let's put some numbers. Let's say that your current reliability is 80% and that the max reliability is 95%. Min and max upgrades are 3% and 5%, respectively. If the mission succeeds, we get:

delta = 95% - 80% = 15%.
The game computes a random number between min and max upgrade. Let's say that, for this example, it was 3.75%.

The effective upgrade will be the computed random number divided by 100 (0.0375) multiplied by delta. 15% * 0.0375 = 0.5625%. That's the value that gets added to your reliability.

For failed missions the algorithm is pretty much the same, the only difference is that delta is computed as the current reliability (80%) minus the minimum reliability.

I'll probably change the UI so that, instead of showing 3% and 5% for the min and max upgrades, the game shows those values multiplied by the deltas.
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:45 pm

OK, so I've included the change to the UI in the interim build I did today. You can grab it from this link.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager : Tech Support”