Bug - Spacecraft Failed to deploy - Cosmonaut Lives?

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

Drewpan
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Bug - Spacecraft Failed to deploy - Cosmonaut Lives?

Post by Drewpan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:56 am

Hi Guys,

Ok, so how did my Cosmonaut get from orbit back to the ground when his spacecraft was stuck
in the launch vehicle? Teleportation? Mr Chekov didn't arrive in the Starship Enterprise til
Season 2 you know!

Since my Cosmonaut ALSO got a Stat increase this is a puzzling mission?

Save Game Attached

Cheers!

Andrew (Drewpan)
Attachments
AutoSave-2014-09-26-121852-1960-3-Drewpan.zip
Cosmonaut Teleportation Mission
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Re: Bug - Spacecraft Failed to deploy - Cosmonaut Lives?

Post by Nacho84 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your feedback. We're working on a list of failures at the moment, if everything goes well if will be integrated into the game by the end of next week.

Notice that a situation like the one you described is perfectly valid: the spacecraft failed to reach Earth orbit and the mission turned into a successful suborbital flight. Once we have integrated the failure strings you'll get an explanation of what happened, which will make the game experience a bit more tighter.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

Drewpan
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Drewpan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi,

The situation might be valid, but if the spacecraft failed to deploy then there is excessive weight
that would probably blow out the 'chutes if it survived re-entry. It probably wouldn't survive re-entry
because the heat-shield is on the bottom of the spacecraft that is stuck in the booster or at least the
shroud. This would also seriously affect the aerodynamics which might push the G forces to intollerable
levels (Ham the Astro-chimp was pretty miffed at pulling 11 Gs).

I personally wouldn't bet my life on this particular situation. I see in future a very nice closed coffin
funeral in Red Square.

I only say this because the failure was deploying the spacecraft. If the booster failed to burn long enough
to get to orbit then I would agree that it would turn into a sub-orbital after a normal separation sequence,
but it is the separation sequence that failed that causes the problems. Theoretically without a proper separation
the Cosmonaut would remain stuck in orbit until life support ran out. There are very few things to try to do
with this short of failure. An EVA would probably fail and trying to blow away the booster or shroud with retros
would almost certainly result in catastrophic damage to the heat shield. So how about we agree to disagree
on this particular one?

Cheers!

Andrew (Drewpan)

BTW You mentioned you might be changing the failure strings, please KEEP the explanation Data for the
save rolls because it definitely adds to the game.

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello Andrew,
Drewpan wrote:I only say this because the failure was deploying the spacecraft. If the booster failed to burn long enough
to get to orbit then I would agree that it would turn into a sub-orbital after a normal separation sequence,
but it is the separation sequence that failed that causes the problems.
Notice that the "spacecraft deployment" mission step includes the final burn for orbit insertion plus the spacecraft separation. We keep the mission steps names relatively concise, but bare in mind that a mission step in the game comprises many events. If we were to go into too much detail, the game would become a bit boring. So yes, I think we're on the same page, really!
Drewpan wrote: BTW You mentioned you might be changing the failure strings, please KEEP the explanation Data for the
save rolls because it definitely adds to the game.
Funny you say that, some players asked me to remove them! :) I'll probably add an option in the menu so that you can choose whether you want to see that info or not.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

N_Molson
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by N_Molson » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Well, there will be cases where the failed separation is catastrophic (crew death), and others where the crew lives. :)

Notice that, in the case the spacecraft fails to separate from the launcher, its still possible to jettison the reentry capsule. Despite of the spherical shape, the center of gravity was located in a fashion that ensured the capsule to stabilize in a back-first attitude during reentry.

About G-forces, there can be nasty peaks during suborbital flights, but those peaks are also very short. Human (or animal) tolerance to G-force is both a matter of magnitude and time of exposure. As an example, the Soyuz Safety Assurance System (the Launch Escape System) gave a 22-Gs kick to the crew, but during a very short time. It was used one time in 1983, and the crew was recovered shocked but in good condition, see below :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFF4cpMVag
Nicolas Escats
Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Contributor

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager : Tech Support”