Circumlunar Gemini with Transtage

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

stratochief66
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Circumlunar Gemini with Transtage

Post by stratochief66 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:00 am

In the uncrewed earth orbit variant of the "Circumlunar Gemini with Transtage" missions, both components appear to be launched together, which is accomplish-able using a Titan 3C.

However, in the manned earth orbit variant, it appears to be a dual launch mission. So, the transtage is launched (unmanned) and then the Gemini craft is separately launched, which can be accomplished by a Titan II.
The manned variant requests that the first launch use a man rated rocket, but I believe it should be accomplish-able using a Titan 3C, as the transtage is unmanned.

Does this change make sense to you?

The circumlunar variant of the mission has the same issue, if you choose to address it as suggested above.

Thanks!

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Re: Circumlunar Gemini with Transtage

Post by Nacho84 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:20 am

Hello stratochief,

Indeed, that's working as expected. That's because the Gemini spacecraft from the uncrewed version is a lightweight mockup, and that allows it to be launched along with the transtage in a single launch.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter

stratochief66

Post by stratochief66 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 pm

I imagine this flight being an EOR, much like an Atlas Agena docking, but with a much larger unmanned partner in the Tran-stage. I picture this being accomplished with a Titan 3C launch for the Trans-stage and a Titan 2 launch for the Gemini pod. However, the game requires a man rated launcher for the unmanned Trans-stage payload, resulting in the need for a Saturn iB launcher.

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:51 pm

You're right! It was a bug in the spreadsheet. It's fixed now, you'll get it in the patch I'm planning to upload tonight (version 0.8.5).

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter

stratochief66

Post by stratochief66 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you very much!

I know it may not matter for many of the current missions, but were you planning on updating the Saturn C3 payloads to be closer to the low earth orbit and translunar masses as listed on Astronautix (LEO 36.3T , TLI 13.6T), or were you pulling the values from a different source? It currently appears to have the same lifting abilities as the Saturn iB.

stratochief66

Post by stratochief66 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:05 pm

I just updated to the new version, 0.8.5 and the Trans-stage launch still calls for LEO_HR hardware. Perhaps the change didn't make the update?

I found this to happen both in my existing save, and in a new game I created.

stratochief66

Post by stratochief66 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:23 pm

I see what you did there, so I can see the Lunar manned mission has been fixed, but the manned test mission in earth orbit was not corrected.

There should probably also be some penalties in the lunar missions for skipping the earth orbit missions.

I understand this is an optional program many people will skip, as all the R&D and test flights only end up giving you a manned circumlunar success. Despite that, I am really pleased the missions were put in because I rather like the Gemini hardware, and would love to see more Gemini hardware included in the following games. In particular, the BIg Gemini and MOL hardware could be a great low cost alternative to early space stations, rather than the Apollo and Skylab hardware that cost precious Saturn iB and Saturn 5 launches.

Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Hello stratochief,

I'll leave this thread on my watchlist and see if I can fix it sometime during the weekend.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager : Tech Support”