Game refuses to start

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

Wiw
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Game refuses to start

Post by Wiw »

I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this game, because it refuses to start for me. Every time I try to start a new game, the program crashes. I've attached three crash reports to this post. Hopefully someone will have a way to sort this out.
Attachments
2016-02-24_101326.zip
(14.95 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
2016-02-24_101022.zip
(14.84 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
2016-02-24_100718.zip
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Re: Game refuses to start

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello Wiw,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I took a look at the first two logs and it seems you're running out of memory. What are your specs?

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Well that's bizarre. I have 8GB of memory, how on earth can I have wasted it all in one go?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Memory: 8.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

this also may help them,

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

while 8gb seems a lot, the O/S on it's own can use 4gb of that just for windows so then you may have some shared with VGA card as well leaving the game very little headroom / resources free...

anything that runs in the background takes a bit more, so in the end it all adds up

Code: Select all

https://help.ea.com/uk/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/
run in safe mode disable all unwanted apps, so in this mode free's up more resources, then try a selective startup to free up some

The easiest way is to workaround this issue is to boot your Windows in safe mode and test the game.
On how to boot your Windows in safe mode please check the tutorials presented on this link:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/f/windows-safe-mode.htm 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/run-selective-startup-system-configuration#1TC=windows-7
here's mine as an example, i use windows 10 64bit, which has best memory manager than any previous version of windows plus i have 16gb of ram installed, and just running windows and chrome browser with no game running i'm using 11% of my memory resources already with background apps making up the most of that, while playing i use a gaming profile to get that down to between 3 to 5% as all my apps will be disabled that aren't needed
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (137.5 KiB) Viewed 7113 times
the fewer the background apps running, the more the system has to use for the game.
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello Wiw,

On top of what zakblood_slith said, can you confirm whether you're running other programs in the background (e.g., antivirus)?

Also, please send me a private message with your e-mail address so that I can send you a special build.

As a personal request, please consider waiting until we have worked through this issue before posting a negative review of the game (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/308270/). As you can see from the forums history, this problem you're experiencing is extremely rare, so please wait until we have determined it cannot be resolved before giving us the thumbs down.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Well how much memory does BASPM use?
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello wiw,

It should work fine with 8 GB and even less than that. A few more questions that come to my mind:

1) Do you have more than one hard drive?
2) Are you running a browser or any other memory intensive programs before launching SPM?

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Yes to both.
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

OK, cool, a couple more:

1) How much room left do you have in your C drive?
2) Can you try turning off all your other programs before launching SPM and letting me know how it goes?

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

use the selective start up option for above, good luck

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/run-selective-startup-system-configuration#1TC=windows-7
says 7 but is the same in 8 and 10 tbh
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

Oh, and please if you don't mind send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send you a special build so that you give it a go. Hopefully it will help us get to the bottom of this faster.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti

Polar Motion
Twitter
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

You could also try to disable all background programs in case these are interfering with the normal running of the game.
You can do this by running msconfig and disabling all non-windows start-up programs and services.
Then once you have disabled all non-Microsoft services, please run the game and see if the issue persists.
If it does not, please then reopen msconfig and reenable those services, one by one, until you find the program causing the problem.
A tutorial on how to do this can be found below:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/articl ... plications

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager : Tech Support”