Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Stormy Battles: Red Storm Review and Discuss

Post by bebro »

asuser wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 am
bebro wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:58 am Thanks - just had a quick try, the save is turn 1 and I can move and attack normally. I see there is still free CP to deploy -- I can also purchase and deploy fine.

So right now I don't have any prob with your save. Is this happening repeatedly for you? Maybe just retry/restart?
Thanks Bebro for your help!

I deinstalled, installed it again on Steam, but nothing changed. The other DLC's works fine.

Is it possible, that the newest patch 8.6.0 destroy something or that the Installation of the patch was something unsuccessful?
Could you clarify one thing to me:

1. You bought and installed Red Storm - the DLC only?

2. Or did you download and install the patch 860 extra on top?

I you did (1) you do not need to add the patch separately, as the Red Storm DLC already brings you to the most recent version. Also if any update is needed Steam would handle it for you.
prestidigitation
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by prestidigitation »

Zhitomir mission is reasonably difficult, completed in 16 turns. I found a stout defense on the Malin-Fastov line worked very well. Key thing to remember is don't get seduced by the IS-1, keep using those cheap infantry in good terrain backed by ZiS-3 or SU-85 or cheapo ATG to fight tanks. A B4 is also helpful for raining pain down on the enemy. There's an excellent blob of forest to anchor your middle with a solid pack of infantry + ATG. IS-1 is so expensive to reinforce that I regret upgrading two of my KV-1 to it, and should have instead kept with them for the infantry support role while having an independent IS-1 btn to provide heavier power to the armor.

This is not an attacking scenario so getting aggressive is not advised. There's tons of PaKs in them there woods and the AI can concentrate an enormous amount of armor hidden all over the place to hammer you if it wants to.

You get something like 26 CP of reinforcements on land and 6 CP of reinforcements in air, so keep that in mind when determining initial allocation of forces.

Keeping the partisans up north alive during the initial attack by retreating them north into the woods and evacing whatever other kit you can helps greatly. They can clean up retreating Germans.

The aux M17 was very nice and I hope I unlock the ability to purchase them soon... it'd be nice having useful lend lease kit rather than junk. The other nice unit is the M9 halftrack which I've got on my heavy infantry. I would especially like to have it on my engineers since they're my primary tank support unit but they only get trucks!

Zhitomir has a bug where there are 5 listed objectives west of Kiev, but only 4 displayed on the map. I lost only one of them, and retaking it had me at 4/5 until I reloaded at which point I magically got 5/5.

Sorry about the giant pictures, if there are spoiler tags I'm happy to use them. I don't see them in the editor and [spoiler][/spoiler] doesn't work.

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

No worries re pics, the forum usually resizes them.

Thanks for the feedback however :)

The objective should be fine, it's just due to the way all gold flags are counted.
prestidigitation

Ok, someone needs to explain how the M17 MGMC and Gaz 4M (both lightly trucks with a large number of heavy machine guns strapped to the top qualifies for anti tank mode -- a role that gives it reaction fire against tanks and a role it has never once performed at any point in history -- while the 85mm M1939, SU/ISU 122, SU/ISU 152 does not, when all of them actually shot at tanks on a regular basis and were used in an anti tank role.

It'd be one thing if the machine gun trucks got direct fire mode. That would be fine and sensible if utterly pointless due to their atrocious stats against literally all ground targets.

BUT ANTI TANK MODE??? This is beyond all sane explanation.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

We already had this popping up at some point - the direct fire switch is always in a separate class, and those are in either tank or AT.
asuser
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by asuser »

bebro wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am

I you did (1) you do not need to add the patch separately, as the Red Storm DLC already brings you to the most recent version. Also if any update is needed Steam would handle it for you.
First I was in the patch update process on Steam. I started the game to look what's new (without the new DLC).

2 hours or so after that I bought the RS DLC and started RS.

Possible solution:
Deinstall RS, go to the patch version before and install RS again. :?: :roll:
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Why is it not possible to purchase the GAZ-AAA 4M Maxim AT version ?

Capture d’écran 2020-09-19 164908.jpg
Capture d’écran 2020-09-19 164908.jpg (89.05 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

RE: switchable units

You talk about self-propelled arty units, which sometimes were used in direct fire mode against tank, infantry or fortifications to make them tank destroyers.
But there were US M10 (also in British service) or M36 tank destroyers, which were used in Western Europe and Italy from mid-1944 mainly as in-direct fire support for infantry units. The M36 Jackson, when entered service in the fall of 1944, was originally intended to be a deadly opponent with its 90mm gun to all German heavy armored vehicles. Ultimately, they also served as medium field artillery, which was a close artillery (not anti-tank :!: ) support at the level of an infantry battalion and, above all, for the destruction of the Siegfried Line fortifications.

This has not been taken into account in the game, both of these vehicles do not raise or lower their barrels as they should
2.jpg
2.jpg (779.16 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (410.37 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Last edited by kondi754 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prestidigitation

Did the "make a pocket around the SS and delete them" mission which was fun in an easy, relaxing sort of way. Didn't notice any bugs but I did notice that the AI was ridiculous thirsty for the top left gold star and would routinely send full strength tanks haring off after it. I must have pocketed and deleted four that way, pretty goofy.

I decided to refund the cost of the IS-1 I had upgraded and to try out the ISU-152 as I noticed it had a 1 CP edge over the KV-1. Turns out it works pretty well in the infantry support role. My usual "large format mission corps size" infantry force is: 2x rifle infantry, 1x heavy armor, 1x siege arty, 1x dual purpose gun (AT/AA or AT/ART) and 1x AT or AA depending on what is available. With the Soviets in the last two campaigns that has meant KV1, 2x Guards inf, ZiS-3, B4, 37mm AA (with sometimes a Morskaya Pekhota attached for an extra front liner). So instead of the 7CP KV-1 M1942 I had the 6CP ISU-152. Being able to role swap it for a third gun or an extra front liner was very nice.

So I take back some of what I said earlier. This unit has value and is worth bringing in a comp due to the CP efficiency.

I will say that the 6CP cost of a dual purpose heavily armored AFV is pretty goofy compared to the M4A2 which is also 6CP and has 1/3rd lower stats. It'd be nice if something could be done about the M4 Sherman because despite always making the top one or two spot for best tanks of the war lists it really isn't any good in this game. Heck, the Cromwell at least gets to be 5CP and it has almost exactly the same stats! A slight boost to mobility, armor or fighting prowess while keeping the cost low would be nice, or hitting the CP cost with a -1.
Last edited by prestidigitation on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon »

What I have a marked issue with is the decision to change the designation of the IS-122 in the middle of a linked campaign. Had you done so from the start it would have been fine but now I find myself in the end 1/3 or the campaign without any experience TDs. Had I known from the start the IS-122 did not have any AT capability I'd have worked up some dedicated AT units. This is compounded by the crazy decision that any "Tank" school specialization does not apply to TDs so you you now face the most powerful German AT units and you have to buy absolutely GREEN AT units. VERY frustrating.

Fortunately there is a way to get around this frustrating change. You can purchase your Core SU-122 and deploy it. You then have to change it from Direct Fire to Arty Mode. You can down downgrade the SU-122 to a SU-76. You then change the SU-76 to AT mode and upgrade it to an SU-85. A bit of a PITA but it does work. You can use the cheat code "#warbonds xxxx" to refund the prestige cost.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

prestidigitation wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:30 pm Did the "make a pocket around the SS and delete them" mission which was fun in an easy, relaxing sort of way. Didn't notice any bugs but I did notice that the AI was ridiculous thirsty for the top left gold star and would routinely send full strength tanks haring off after it. I must have pocketed and deleted four that way, pretty goofy.

I decided to refund the cost of the IS-1 I had upgraded and to try out the ISU-152 as I noticed it had a 1 CP edge over the KV-1. Turns out it works pretty well in the infantry support role. My usual "large format mission corps size" infantry force is: 2x rifle infantry, 1x heavy armor, 1x siege arty, 1x dual purpose gun (AT/AA or AT/ART) and 1x AT or AA depending on what is available. With the Soviets in the last two campaigns that has meant KV1, 2x Guards inf, ZiS-3, B4, 37mm AA (with sometimes a Morskaya Pekhota attached for an extra front liner). So instead of the 7CP KV-1 M1942 I had the 6CP ISU-152. Being able to role swap it for a third gun or an extra front liner was very nice.

So I take back some of what I said earlier. This unit has value and is worth bringing in a comp due to the CP efficiency.

I will say that the 6CP cost of a dual purpose heavily armored AFV is pretty goofy compared to the M4A2 which is also 2CP and has 1/3rd lower stats. It'd be nice if something could be done about the M4 Sherman because despite always making the top one or two spot for best tanks of the war lists it really isn't any good in this game. Heck, the Cromwell at least gets to be 5CP and it has almost exactly the same stats! A slight boost to mobility, armor or fighting prowess while keeping the cost low would be nice, or hitting the CP cost with a -1.

+1 in case of Sherman
prestidigitation

kverdon wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:37 pm What I have a marked issue with is the decision to change the designation of the IS-122 in the middle of a linked campaign. Had you done so from the start it would have been fine but now I find myself in the end 1/3 or the campaign without any experience TDs. Had I known from the start the IS-122 did not have any AT capability I'd have worked up some dedicated AT units. This is compounded by the crazy decision that any "Tank" school specialization does not apply to TDs so you you now face the most powerful German AT units and you have to buy absolutely GREEN AT units. VERY frustrating.

Fortunately there is a way to get around this frustrating change. You can purchase your Core SU-122 and deploy it. You then have to change it from Direct Fire to Arty Mode. You can down downgrade the SU-122 to a SU-76. You then change the SU-76 to AT mode and upgrade it to an SU-85. A bit of a PITA but it does work. You can use the cheat code "#warbonds xxxx" to refund the prestige cost.
Hah I did the exact same dance! Pretty annoying I agree!
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Wasn't there some Endsieg DLC mission where you had to destroy two Su-122 in 5 turns or so? I remember there was a bug with them switched to the arty setting before. Now the same objective might me broken again with the change of the unit class...?!
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:46 pm Wasn't there some Endsieg DLC mission where you had to destroy two Su-122 in 5 turns or so? I remember there was a bug with them switched to the arty setting before. Now the same objective might me broken again with the change of the unit class...?!
11_Kharkov_43 (Panzerkrieg)

11_Kharkov_43(1).jpg
11_Kharkov_43(1).jpg (405.11 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:58 am
GabeKnight wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:46 pm Wasn't there some Endsieg DLC mission where you had to destroy two Su-122 in 5 turns or so? I remember there was a bug with them switched to the arty setting before. Now the same objective might me broken again with the change of the unit class...?!
11_Kharkov_43 (Panzerkrieg)
Right, so it's Panzerkrieg. Thanks, Mr. T! :)

Just checked, and all's good, the trigger's set for unit type and not class.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

kondi754 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:06 pm RE: switchable units

[...] US M10 (also in British service) or M36 tank destroyers, [...]

This has not been taken into account in the game, both of these vehicles do not raise or lower their barrels as they should
Thanks, good idea. I'll consider it for my mod.
prestidigitation

Just played the Crimea Liberation mission and it's a fun romp through the peninsula. Finished on 24, didn't feel super time pressured but I DID nearly miss the boats (all of them were on their way out when I caught em). I suspect I triggered the boats too early as I had been tag teaming enemy boats with a pair of Yak 9T, allowing my own boats to race along the coastline. The large Romanian destroyer force was a rude surprise, but I suspect so were my IL-2s.

edit: A note, I saw all the connected bridges leading into my territory from German territory at the start and brought some extra engineers to lay mines and blow bridges to trap them. This turned out to be a very good idea and I caught several tanks with minefields.
Last edited by prestidigitation on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

The Korsun Pocket scenario is bugged. I'll detail how in a separate post.
asuser

Post by asuser »

asuser wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:46 pm
bebro wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am

First I was in the patch update process on Steam. I started the game to look what's new (without the new DLC).

2 hours or so after that I bought the RS DLC and started RS.

Possible solution:
Deinstall RS, go to the patch version before and install RS again. :?: :roll:

I solved the problem! :twisted:

On Steam there are options for the game with the right mouse button on the game entry:
Properties / Local files / Check files for errors...
I did that last point and found 37 corrupt files, probably from the patch update.

After an additional download of the repaired files the game works now perfectly, I can move the units, buy new units and can place them on the map.

Thank God! :D
prestidigitation

The Partisan mission was a fun romp. I left the paratroopers to defend the main position which paid off at the end when a whole horde of Nazis showed up. Fortunately my paratroopers were heavily entrenched and had no trouble holding. I took out one bridge defended by construction troops and another that was empty. The radar station was tough to kill because of all the armored cars and light tanks, but I found it very quickly so I was able to hit it twice to finish the job.

Casualties were high tho. Excited for the Finland mission, it'll be fun having a rematch!

Return to “Order of Battle Series”