What units to buy with the WSS?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Post Reply
grenadier98
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:37 am

What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by grenadier98 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:28 pm

I just pulled out OOB after a long break and restarted the Blitzkrieg campaign. Any advice from you veteran players what units I should buy with the Waffen SS? I honestly don't like this "feature" in the specilisation at all . For multiple reasons. Gameplay wise it forces you to use it because not using it would mean fielding an army with 6 less command points. They don't benefit from your normal Wehrmacht specilisations like Auftragstaktik and so, which means that SS infantry, tanks, AT and AA are worse. So should I just buy artillery and upgrade this?

cutydt02
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:04 am

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by cutydt02 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Until late of 2nd dlc, ss should be just inf coz u wont have much money for luxury choices. Later on, both arties and tanks are good enough even tanks lost 1 tech (am i wrong ?), but its not that important. I buy mainly tank coz i builed my elite arty earlier

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Posts: 3678
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by kondi754 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:49 pm

You should buy 2 inf units, they will always be useful on large maps in Russia

Juansana
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by Juansana » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm

I wished that some of the Waffen SS were in a better position than the normal troops of the Wehrmacht. And that the command points could be transferred from Wehrmacht to Waffen SS, at least in part

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger
Posts: 4252
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: the loveliest country in the world

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by terminator » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 am

Juansana wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm
I wished that some of the Waffen SS were in a better position than the normal troops of the Wehrmacht. And that the command points could be transferred from Wehrmacht to Waffen SS, at least in part
It’s up to you to train these troops in combat to turn them into experienced units.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator
Posts: 7801
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:59 pm
Location: Norway

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by Erik2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 am

The Waffen SS should have access to the same set of specialisations that the Wehrmacht has (except air/naval and certain land-specs). That should be very easy to fix.
This would make SS-campaigns more interesting and could increase the SS units' combat power in stand-alone scenarios as well.

WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by WarHomer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:16 am

I always use 2 inf until I get more req.points for SS. After that its usually supplemented by AA and AT until I work up enough points for a monster AT or two. I usually use the 2 inf throughout.

Juansana
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by Juansana » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:29 pm

terminator wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 am
Juansana wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm
I wished that some of the Waffen SS were in a better position than the normal troops of the Wehrmacht. And that the command points could be transferred from Wehrmacht to Waffen SS, at least in part
It’s up to you to train these troops in combat to turn them into experienced units.
Sorry, that wasn't my point. When I take PanzerCorps, I can decide for myself how many troops I buy and deploy there.
That's what I want to see here in the original campaigns. If I have 75 points for Wehrmacht and 6 for Waffen SS, I would like to deduct 9 points from the Wehrmacht and give them to the Waffen SS, so that the new distribution would be 66 Wehrmacht and 15 Waffen SS.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by Horst » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 pm

In Panzer Corps, at least in game I, you can also get a limited number of SE units according to campaign progression. I never liked it how such extra unit was randomly rolled after scenarios.
In OoB, the core limit of the WSS spec-faction is increased by two additional upgrades over the years, so I think it's fine enough for a bonus faction which is already a very powerful addition to a regular core on its own.
Historically, the SS made only 3% of all 154 German Divisions in 1941. At least in this historical context, the small number of WSS core units is really enough.

smokeitup
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:55 am

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by smokeitup » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:43 am

Juansana wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm
I wished that some of the Waffen SS were in a better position than the normal troops of the Wehrmacht. And that the command points could be transferred from Wehrmacht to Waffen SS, at least in part
Yeah its really annoying how the SS does not get any of the Wehrmacht specializations that you can research...it doesn't even make sense why they are not shared between the 2 factions that fight side by side.

Its also incredibly annoying how you cannot transfer resources between the two (ie as Wehrmacht give SS x amount of RP as you desire). There should really be a tab in game that allows you to transfer resources freely between allied factions that you control. It was a minor issue with the Japanese campaigns because you only control Mongolian or Chinese allied factions here and there, but the German one's have you use both for 3 entire campaigns. I remember when I finished Endseig the main German faction was starved for resource points towards the end of that campaign, but the SS was sitting on something absurd like 1000 RP's that I could never utilize or transfer over. The developers really should look into this and fix it.

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger
Posts: 4252
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: the loveliest country in the world

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by terminator » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:11 am

By providing sufficient resources, WaffenSS could perform elite replacements and purchase the latest equipment models.

Juansana
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by Juansana » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:33 am

smokeitup wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:43 am
Juansana wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:08 pm
I wished that some of the Waffen SS were in a better position than the normal troops of the Wehrmacht. And that the command points could be transferred from Wehrmacht to Waffen SS, at least in part
Yeah its really annoying how the SS does not get any of the Wehrmacht specializations that you can research...it doesn't even make sense why they are not shared between the 2 factions that fight side by side.

Its also incredibly annoying how you cannot transfer resources between the two (ie as Wehrmacht give SS x amount of RP as you desire). There should really be a tab in game that allows you to transfer resources freely between allied factions that you control. It was a minor issue with the Japanese campaigns because you only control Mongolian or Chinese allied factions here and there, but the German one's have you use both for 3 entire campaigns. I remember when I finished Endseig the main German faction was starved for resource points towards the end of that campaign, but the SS was sitting on something absurd like 1000 RP's that I could never utilize or transfer over. The developers really should look into this and fix it.
I think so, too, precisely because during the war the SS continued to rise to the elite and received better equipment.
terminator wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:11 am
By providing sufficient resources, WaffenSS could perform elite replacements and purchase the latest equipment models.
In the game Panzergeneral 2 (in Germany the game was sold as Panzergeneral IIID) this was a valuable addition, which I gladly took there. As well as the possibility to play scenarios from the other side. This possibility is missing here again and again and I regret that very much

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger
Posts: 4252
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: the loveliest country in the world

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by terminator » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Juansana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:33 am
In the game Panzergeneral 2 (in Germany the game was sold as Panzergeneral IIID) this was a valuable addition, which I gladly took there. As well as the possibility to play scenarios from the other side. This possibility is missing here again and again and I regret that very much
Have you noticed that some maps are used in different DLCs and sov3_Partisans map is a part of the sov3_08_Bagration map?

impossible
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by impossible » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:36 pm

pro-tip: if you are not careful and assign too many income to the waffen ss with specializations you will end up with a broke wehrmacht and a billionaire wss.

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3206
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: What units to buy with the WSS?

Post by GabeKnight » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:29 am

In the beginning, with the "WSS 1" spec, you'll have like 2RP/turn for them, so usually I use some indirect or reaction fire units that do not get damaged often - like arty, AT, AA.

Later, especially with the "WSS 3" spec, you'll really have tons of tons of RPs for them, that's where they get tanks, infantry and other direct-hitting stuff.

Post Reply

Return to “Order of Battle Series”