Important Update for Mac Users

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

ledrobi
Slitherine
Slitherine

Important Update for Mac Users

Post by ledrobi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:09 pm

We are ending support for the Mac version of Order of Battle at the end of 2020.

How it’s going to work:
- We will be releasing an update to the game before the end of 2020. This will be the final patch update for the Mac version of Order of Battle.
- You will retain access to any DLC you already own, and you will continue to be able to purchase any of the currently available DLC should you wish.
- Future DLC campaigns will not be released for the Mac version of the game.
- You will continue to have access to the PBEM servers, but will not be able to play against anyone who uses a Future version of the game. We will make a legacy PC version available so that players can continue to play against their friends on PC if they wish.

Unfortunately, the effort required to keep the game up-to-date for the very small community of Mac users is just not sustainable anymore for the team.

Please reply to this thread for any questions you may have.

franciscus
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Important Update for Mac Users

Post by franciscus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Sad... :cry:

Grendel88
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Grendel88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:42 am

Shucks,
And I have just started with Order of Battle, specifically because me and my buds have Macs.....
Grendel...

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:37 am

Grendel88 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:42 am
Shucks,
And I have just started with Order of Battle, specifically because me and my buds have Macs.....
Grendel...
I know that it's not an ideal solution, but we are going to ensure that Mac users will still be able to play against each other in PBEM and are going to make a legacy version of the game available for PC users so that they can continue to play PBEM against their Mac owning friends.

Dwightd
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dwightd » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:55 pm

VERY disappointing news .........

Should have seen the writing on the wall with the release of PC2 for PC only :(

Celeborn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Celeborn » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Very sad, though I would rather see OOB continue for Windows only than disappear altogether.

tmeluski
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by tmeluski » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:04 pm

This is extremely disappointing news indeed. Though given the fact that every new DLC release contains an update to the overall game, it seems that there may be a flaw in the process, which in turn has led to this conclusion. While I can understand the developer being in a tough spot, this seems to be an ongoing theme with the developers associated with Slitherine and thus this will impact my future purchase decisions as it seems that any Mac release from Slitherine will lose support in the future. Essentially, buying a Mac version through Slitherine is a risky proposition and may not be worth it.

Mascarenhas
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Mascarenhas » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:26 am

I sincerely hope that you guys reconsider this decision. I've been playing OoB for years now ever under Mac version and it works perfectly. I bought every DLC release and certainly would continue if available for Mac. Otherwise I'll move on to other compatible and customer-friendly developers.

Magic1111
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Magic1111 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 am

Mascarenhas wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:26 am
I sincerely hope that you guys reconsider this decision. I've been playing OoB for years now ever under Mac version and it works perfectly. I bought every DLC release and certainly would continue if available for Mac. Otherwise I'll move on to other compatible and customer-friendly developers.
Buy a cheap Windows laptop and continue playing OOB there ... at least that's one possibility.

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:14 am

Maybe this post may be interesting:
Shards wrote:We do love our Mac users, but we're just not in a place where we can keep up development on the platform.

However, thanks to the suggestions above, we are going to investigate getting the game to be available on GeForce Now. I can't commit to anything at the moment, but it's an interesting angle.

Thanks
(source)

I would also not like to see our Mac confederates vanish... :cry:

Return to “Order of Battle Series”