No way to designate coop games?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

No way to designate coop games?

Post by MikeAP » Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 pm

I can host a game, but I cannot set which team is AI - nor can I lock a side.

If a player joins and doesnt feel like playing coop, then he can just pick the opposing team.

Am I doing this right?

Edit - there are only two 2vAI scenarios...is this a joke?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: No way to designate coop games?

Post by adherbal » Fri May 01, 2015 12:08 pm

You can only play cooperative on the designated [2vsAI] maps at the moment. You can't set AI players on the other maps.

We intend to add a skirmish map mode later where you can set up the number of (AI) players etc. But on the current MP scenarios adding AI players will never work. The victory conditions are too varied and complex for a non-scripted AI player to understand.

MikeAP

Post by MikeAP » Fri May 01, 2015 12:12 pm

adherbal wrote:You can only play cooperative on the designated [2vsAI] maps at the moment.
How about informing players that THERE ARE ONLY TWO COOP MAPS

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Fri May 01, 2015 12:17 pm

So far :roll:

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:19 pm

MikeAP wrote:
adherbal wrote:You can only play cooperative on the designated [2vsAI] maps at the moment. You can't set AI players on the other maps.

We intend to add a skirmish map mode later where you can set up the number of (AI) players etc. But on the current MP scenarios adding AI players will never work. The victory conditions are too varied and complex for a non-scripted AI player to understand.
I like coop maps, but during testing we found that it is not that easy to actually get 4 humans to play such a scenario. We seldom managed to finish a 4-player coop before the next build was out and multiplayer games were removed from the server.
Also, one player may hold up the whole game when real life intervenes.
But transforming a 'regular' suitable scenario to coop should not be too much work, especially if there is no AI involved. You would have to replace a number of units from the default player to a new one, that's a relatively quick job. Editing trigger/events is also doable, but is more prone to errors if you are not careful.

Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal » Fri May 01, 2015 12:21 pm

There are currently x5 1v1 maps, x3 2v2 maps and x2 2vAI maps. We're hoping to add official content with time, and also hoping that players will jump in and create custom scenarios with the editor. It's possible to create more coop MP maps with the editor.

MikeAP

Post by MikeAP » Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Erik wrote:
MikeAP wrote:
adherbal wrote:You can only play cooperative on the designated [2vsAI] maps at the moment. You can't set AI players on the other maps.

I like coop maps, but during testing we found that it is not that easy to actually get 4 humans to play such a scenario. We seldom managed to finish a 4-player coop before the next build was out and multiplayer games were removed from the server.
Also, one player may hold up the whole game when real life intervenes.
But transforming a 'regular' suitable scenario to coop should not be too much work, especially if there is no AI involved. You would have to replace a number of units from the default player to a new one, that's a relatively quick job. Editing trigger/events is also doable, but is more prone to errors if you are not careful.
Battle Academy 2 added cooperative multiplayer and it has an outstanding, and absolutely welcomed feature. I think this game advertised heavily on cooperative multiplayer - at least that was how I saw things - especially given the three-part AAR that was posted by the developers several weeks ago.

I agree that 4-player cooperative is a lot, given that this is a PBEM system. I dont think I'd want to do that, but I was really hoping for 2v1 AI cooperative scenarios. The fact that we only have two scenarios is ....kind of a joke.

MikeAP

Post by MikeAP » Fri May 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Myrddraal wrote: also hoping that players will jump in and create custom scenarios with the editor.
Myrddraal, I think that is a poor assumption to make.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Lukas: If you're changing a stock scenario like Java to 2vAI, do you have to copy the briefing/objective info to the new human player or will both players on a team see the original info?

MikeAP

Post by MikeAP » Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Lets say I edit a scenario or create my own.. How does my cooperative partner receive it?

Do I have to manually send it, or will the PBEM server send the file?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Fri May 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Lukas: If you're changing a stock scenario like Java to 2vAI, do you have to copy the briefing/objective info to the new human player or will both players on a team see the original info?
It needs to be duplicated for each human player. The biggest pain probably is that same team alliances need to be listed consecutively, to the AI alliance might have to be turned into a human alliance and all the triggers adjusted to point to the swapped alliances.

We'll have a go at this for the first patch though.

Do I have to manually send it, or will the PBEM server send the file?
Manually at the moment.

MikeAP

Post by MikeAP » Fri May 01, 2015 1:19 pm

adherbal wrote:Manually at the moment.
Ok, thats not going to work.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”