A few fuzzy areas in regards to combat

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Fishsticks
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

A few fuzzy areas in regards to combat

Post by Fishsticks » Fri May 01, 2015 4:23 pm

First off, loving the game so far. I never had the enjoyment of playing Panzer Corps so I am definitely in unfamiliar territory here ...but I'm loving every second of it! :-) I just have a few combat related questions if someone can help me out.

1. If I move a unit and then attack is the attack now weaker than if I attacked without moving?

2. When I attack an enemy unit what detirmines who attacks first and who counterattacks? I swear I have attacked enemy units during my turn only resulting in them getting the jump on me first.

3. Does a unit positioned in a treeline or hilltop attacking a enemy unit positioned in a field have any attack advantage?

Thank You!

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: A few fuzzy areas in regards to combat

Post by Erik2 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:25 pm

1) A unit may lose efficiency depending on terrain moved through and ending in.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Fri May 01, 2015 4:46 pm

1. Only if the terrain type you move through affects the unit's efficiency

2. There is no attack order in the combat calculation. The combat represents many soldiers and tanks/vehicles firing so "who gets the first shot off" isn't really a factor on this scale. The animation system will always play the attacker's shot first, UNLESS the defender dies or retreats from its position. This is purely cosmethic however.

3. Land combat takes place on the hex of the defender. The hex the attacker "comes from" does not affect the outcome.

Fishsticks

Post by Fishsticks » Fri May 01, 2015 5:10 pm

adherbal wrote:
3. Land combat takes place on the hex of the defender. The hex the attacker "comes from" does not affect the outcome.
Thank you for the precise answers. So If I am attacking a japanese infantry unit in the jungle will there be any change to his defensive stats vs if he was attacked on open ground?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Fri May 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes, terrain has a number of effects on combat:

Each terrain type has a "cover" percentage (0 - 100). For example open terrain has 0% cover, villages 50% cover and cities 100% cover. Many units have 2 values for their ground based attack stats. For example when a tank with [6 - 2] anti-infantry attack engages an enemy infantry unit on open terrain, the combat calculation uses 6 attack (0% cover), if it's in a city it uses 2 (100%) and if the terrain is a village is uses 4 (50%, in the middle of the two values).

In addition each terrain type has a combat modifier for attacker and defender. This for example gives the defender advantages in jungle terrain and slows down combat in general on mountains.

Fishsticks

Post by Fishsticks » Fri May 01, 2015 5:27 pm

adherbal wrote:Yes, terrain has a number of effects on combat:

Each terrain type has a "cover" percentage (0 - 100). For example open terrain has 0% cover, villages 50% cover and cities 100% cover. Many units have 2 values for their ground based attack stats. For example when a tank with [6 - 2] anti-infantry attack engages an enemy infantry unit on open terrain, the combat calculation uses 6 attack (0% cover), if it's in a city it uses 2 (100%) and if the terrain is a village is uses 4 (50%, in the middle of the two values).

In addition each terrain type has a combat modifier for attacker and defender. This for example gives the defender advantages in jungle terrain and slows down combat in general on mountains.
Ok I am understanding better now :-) If the tank attacks japanese infantry which is located in the town hex do they both get a 50% cover value applied?...or only the defender?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Fri May 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Both, but for some units types cover gives an advantage (for example flamethrowers) while for others it doesn't (most standard tanks).

Return to “Order of Battle Series”